All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent Forum Outage
Post #1 Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:15 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Recently, there was an outage that affected the forum. Initially, the site was unreachable, and later, the site redirected to a page:
Quote:
L19 is temporarily down for some scheduled maintenance. Don't worry, we'll be back soon! :)

We have a group of admins on the forum who can address some technical matters, but server side issues are bottlenecked to a single person: one person owns the server where L19 lives, so if there are any server side problems, it's necessary to communicate and/or resolve those issues through that single person. We took steps to distribute the administration of L19 - forum code is publicly available on github, etc. But we don't have a distributed solution for fixing server issues and/or communicating them.

In this case, the forum problem was known and worked on in a timely manner. So having some sort of distributed administration may not have sped up the fix - it could potentially have slowed things down, given that someone was already working to resolve the issue.

But on the other hand, it could be a good idea to brainstorm if there are ways to have communication about what's going on. We kind of have a bus factor of 1 in these scenarios, and while I don't want to go so far as to say that this is a serious problem for server administration, it'd be nice to at least have a higher bus factor for communication.

Maybe this means a policy of communicating about L19 through a separate forum: on Reddit - or perhaps a Facebook group? I'm not really sure, though, I think discussion would have merit. I understand how frustrating it may be to be confused about what's going on with the forum and/or what the expectation is for getting it fixed.

Any thoughts?

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: Recent Forum Outage
Post #2 Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:21 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
I'm just grateful for all the good work y'all are doing. :D
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Kirby wrote:
Maybe this means a policy of communicating about L19 through a separate forum: on Reddit - or perhaps a Facebook group?

We already have a status page on SL. https://senseis.xmp.net/?LifeIn19x19%2FStatus

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:24 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
I still get the error message "L19 is temporarily down for some scheduled maintenance. Don't worry, we'll be back soon! :)" when clicking on "View unread posts".

Post #5 Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:40 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
jlt wrote:
I still get the error message "L19 is temporarily down for some scheduled maintenance. Don't worry, we'll be back soon! :)" when clicking on "View unread posts".

Me, too. But because of Joaz's message on SL, I tried logging in, and that worked. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
I logged out and logged in again, then clicked on "View unread posts". It worked, but when I click a second time on "View unread posts", I get the error message again.

Edit: I erased all my cookies and this solved the problem.

Last edited by jlt on Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:14 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Kirby wrote:
Maybe this means a policy of communicating about L19 through a separate forum: on Reddit - or perhaps a Facebook group?

We already have a status page on SL. https://senseis.xmp.net/?LifeIn19x19%2FStatus

I would like for this page and/or whatever means of communication we think is best to be linked on the static "L19 is temporarily down for some scheduled maintenance. Don't worry, we'll be back soon!" page. I didn't personally know about the SL page, and I'm on here all of the time.

In the event of an outage, if the user is provided with a link to a page where we can communicate, then it clears up a lot of confusion IMO. I had no idea what was going on.

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Joaz Banbeck

Post #8 Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:00 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
Why not a twitter account? This way, people can tell the account the forum is down, and the account can tweet it's down and give updates

This post by Tryss was liked by: Bonobo

Post #9 Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:21 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Tryss wrote:
Why not a twitter account? ...

Because some of us are over 30. :)

Kirby wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

I would like for this page and/or whatever means of communication we think is best to be linked on the static "L19 is temporarily down for some scheduled maintenance. Don't worry, we'll be back soon!" page.

This is a great idea.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: fireproof