It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What do you make of this?
Post #21 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:36 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Com' on Harlequin put us all out of our misery and give us the solution :3 *plspls*

Post #22 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:04 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
I was hoping to get some estimates from stronger people like Araban or Bill Spight. :)

(Not for people who want to estimate without looking at other people's guesses first)
Most of the answers seem to guess their strength at "a few stones stronger than me", except for Magicwand (surprise...) and amnal. There are no guesses yet from really strong players, though.

Post #23 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:36 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
I can't really judge what rank they are. But the game is full of (to me) really weird moves. I guess the players are definitely not my level, either way above me (because I don't understand the moves at all) or below me (because the moves are really that bad). It can't be a lot below my level though, there are just to many sensible moves in there. So if I had to guess, I'd take the "way above me" option.

Blitz might be a reason why the game is so weird. The result would support that, too ;)

Post #24 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:28 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 24
Harleqin wrote:
I was hoping to get some estimates from stronger people like Araban or Bill Spight. :)

(Not for people who want to estimate without looking at other people's guesses first)
Most of the answers seem to guess their strength at "a few stones stronger than me", except for Magicwand (surprise...) and amnal. There are no guesses yet from really strong players, though.

Araban is absent for a while now, hope he gets back soon :(

Post #25 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:18 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Harleqin wrote:
What strength do you think the players are?

Mid dan level at least. The players play tenuki far more often than kyu players would, IMO. There are also no obvious blunders, nor are there any moves I would really feel comfortable in criticizing. There are several places where I would have played differently, but that would be a stylistic difference more than anything. It could be a pro game, or a game between players around my level. Maybe a little weaker, but not too much (at least 2 dan EGF, probably stronger).

The rules are Chinese, and the komi is 7.5, which makes a pro game more likely, as relatively few people play with those rules outside China. It could also be a top game from an EGC or Ing tournament. Ing rules and 8 komi could easily have been recorded as Chinese with 7.5, as Ing specifies that Black wins jigo.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:22 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 16
HermanHiddema wrote:
Mid dan level at least. The players play tenuki far more often than kyu players would, IMO. There are also no obvious blunders, nor are there any moves I would really feel comfortable in criticizing.

I'll take a stab at it :D

How about black 35. With R6 and R15 there, the whole right side seems small. Or so they teach us westerners. C15 or R2 look bigger.

Also white's sequence 36-37-38 feels odd. If white wants to secure the corner in gote, why not just play 36 at R2 or Q2?

And why does black not attack white 40 directly?

Post #27 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:04 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
zinger wrote:
HermanHiddema wrote:
Mid dan level at least. The players play tenuki far more often than kyu players would, IMO. There are also no obvious blunders, nor are there any moves I would really feel comfortable in criticizing.

I'll take a stab at it :D

How about black 35. With R6 and R15 there, the whole right side seems small. Or so they teach us westerners. C15 or R2 look bigger.

It's played in the largest open area along the edge, it is an attack on White's R4/5/6 stones, an indirect attack on White's upper group, and it threatens to make points.

Quote:
Also white's sequence 36-37-38 feels odd. If white wants to secure the corner in gote, why not just play 36 at R2 or Q2?

White 36 is an inducing move. It spoils Black's shape and induces black to force white to defend his corner group. After W38, black is weak and definitely needs 39 to run away with his weakest group, so effectively white ends with sente.

Quote:
And why does black not attack white 40 directly?

This is one thing I would probably have done, try to set up a splitting attack on this stone and the top group. But W40 can't really be killed, black is too thin (P8-R10), and white too strong, in the lower right. Playing a probe with M5 to help black's weakest group, then just taking the biggest point C15 seem a very reasonable option to me. Let white worry about his weak stones. If he takes gote to help them, you just get another big point somewhere. Easy option.

Post #28 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:19 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 114
My own reasons for my guess:

None of the moves really stood out as extremely strong, though I could just be missing the subtlety.

Move 11 seems suboptimal, I can't see a reason for playing it, so I don't think it's a professional game. It just seems heavy.

The players either were reading far deeper than I did, or were missing moves for some other reason. Time trouble is a possibility, I could believe it was a 2d or 3d game if it were blitz or even just quite fast.

There were probably no moves that I would tell a 3k 'this is definitely wrong', so they are at least strong kyu.

Thinking about it more, they are very consistent, so maybe I guessed too low (especially if it was blitz or lightning).

Post #29 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:53 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Black's play includes joseki that I kave never seen before, so he is a bot or a pro. As the game gets past joseki, the play becomes iffy:

45: It is hard to see what this move accomplishes. If a pro were worried about the life of his group, I'd expect to see S7 or S8 or N3. If he is not, a tenuki to C10 or D11 is big.

63: Maybe I'm misreading, but G15 looks big here.

So, with dubious midgame flow but exotic joseki, I call black a bot.

White is much harder to read. He seems to be low/mid dan. Because Harlequin posted, I'll guess that white is Harlequin.

HermanHiddema wrote:
The rules are Chinese, and the komi is 7.5, which makes a pro game more likely...

I've never thought seriously about programming go, but my quickie guess is that it is easier to do Chinese counting than Japanese. So a bot is still a possibility.

Post #30 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 36
Was liked: 63
KGS: Toge
Black has to be in kyu ranks (3k-4k). Move 87 is just weird and the whole yose goes with white leading black around the board. Automatic playing and "sente" moves which gain nothing. I think white is couple of stones stronger dan.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:06 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
I agree with magicwand - I'd even go further and say sdk. A lot of the moves really seem awkward - the sequence at bottom right I have never seen before, and feels quite inconsistent.

Post #32 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 30
Why I guessed the way I did.
There's quite a few fairly subtle moves in this game. While some moves look strange, there are others that doesn't look like moves that will be played by kyus and probably even low dans. Two of these moves are W36 and W60.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 7
both stronger than me probably, since all the moves seemed reasonable & simple. it's hard to obey fundamentals throughout a game. black's early peep on the lower right, to force white to connect the 1 space jump, is usually considered bad (or so i think), but stronger players will sometimes do it anyway.

i understood every move played, which could mean they are actually players of my own weak strength. p15 most of all seems too passive for this to be a game between really strong players. an amateur high dan would try something flashier, and i think most professionals would play something more active. i'll guess around 2d kgs, although i'll admit i could be very far from the truth.

edit: I just looked at other people's guesses, and i'm surprised that move 40 didn't jump out at me more. it's really the top right quadrant which gives this away for me as probably not being between really strong players - this area is where white should have been treated to some form of attack

Post #34 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 16
Toge wrote:
Black has to be in kyu ranks (3k-4k). Move 87 is just weird and the whole yose goes with white leading black around the board. Automatic playing and "sente" moves which gain nothing. I think white is couple of stones stronger dan.

Agree about the endgame. White 140 for example, this is supposedly a pro or high dan move?

heh, I'm gonna look silly if it is pro.

Post #35 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 44
GD Posts: 627
After reading some hidden comments here:

The bot theory has some merit. I didn't really think of that possibility, but it would explain a few things. Bots do play a lot of very reasonable moves, mingled with lots of strange or even completely wrong moves. It would explain the confusion.

But as I said in my guess, I can't really tell the difference if those moves are really wrong, or just too subtle for me to understand ;)

Post #36 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:04 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Ok, Harlequin, everyone has made their guess...

Post #37 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:18 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Well, OK. I shall put it into hide tags, for the case that someone wants to take a stab at it for himself.

This is the fourth game of the fourth FICGS Go Championship between Yang Huayong and Svante Carl von Erichsen. It is a correspondence game server, and the time limits are 30 days + 1 day/move (Bonus time). The challenge match consists of 5 parallel games.

As for the ranks, the FICGS rating system puts them at 4d and 6d.

Huayong won the preliminary 9 player round-robin tournament for the challenge with a clean record against some EGF 1 dan to 4 dan players.

Svante is the current title holder, having won the first title tournament and defended it twice against Lu Ke. His EGF rank seems to be 2 dan.

Post #38 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:27 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Harleqin wrote:
time limits are 30 days + 1 day/move (Bonus time).

Not really blitz then :lol:

Post #39 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:31 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 115
Was liked: 102
KGS: LiKao / Loki
So the guy who guessed that you're one of them was right :)
And it also confirms you're Svante on SO which I guessed from the avatar

Post #40 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
Li Kao wrote:
So the guy who guessed that you're one of them was right :)
And it also confirms you're Svante on SO which I guessed from the avatar

:) It seemed like a plausible possibility. The others framed the rank somewhat. The rest was psychology.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next