It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: About notchers
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
See Critical Notchers on sensei's for the basic idea.

I'm wondering if a heuristic can be formed which can tell me how strong or weak a notched group is, and whether it should be killable. So you'd assign points for stones on the second and third line, and subtract points for weaknesses, and if the score is larger than some number the group is alive, and if it's below some number the group is dead. Similar to capture races.

So for the trivial case of stones on the second line without weaknesses, there's that familiar "six live eight die" rule. Connecting to the corner on the second line adds 2 extra points, since 5 stones on the second line attached to the corner are determined by sente. Stones on the third line need to be 5 long and have sente (I think that's the rule) to form life. So you'd probably find the common denominator and give stones on the third line 7 points and stones on the second line 5 points, and the group lives if it has more than 35 points. And on like that.

Is such a heuristic possible? Or might it be unreasonably complex?

Post subject: Re: About notchers
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
not answering the question but isn't it just easier to read it out?

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:27 am 
Lives in gote

Sometimes. Like with capture races, there are a nice set of heuristics from this book that you can use to see who's going to win the capture races. Sometimes it's easier to just read out (usually when it's small and simple), other times the heuristics are invaluable (large eye vs small eye + lots of internal liberties + kos).

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:33 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
Just knowing the result is much more effective, because you would be able to read deeper. It's the same with nakade shapes: When you know whether such a shape is dead, you don't have to read it out. Knowledge is what enables effective reading.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 37
Universal go server handle: MagicMagor
But reading it out until the shape is hardwired in your brain will improve your reading on the way. ;-)
Just relying on a heuristic to know "this is alive" won't help you if the other player tries to kill it. In that case you still have to read it out.
If you on other hand, have hardwired the shape in your brain via extensive reading, you can answer the attempts correctly without thinking. Just like nakade-shapes ;-)

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:15 pm 
Lives in gote

So I'm going to try and tackle this since I can't find anything on it. The goal is to get an equation where you plug numbers in and get back the relative strength of the group numerically, and then turn that number in to a status (alive, alive with seki, alive with ko, life and death (eg: determined by sente), dead). Not sure how useful it will be but it's sort of a fun math-y exercise.

I might post some status questions once I dig in to this a bit.

Also, if players strong(er) in life and death would share any of the rules they use when judging a position, I'd find that useful. eg: "six die, eight live". Though maybe all stronger players just memorize all the positions and read it out when in doubt. I guess I don't really know.

edit: ah actually I have a fun problem already. Given the "notch code" that the sensei's library page uses, is there ever a time when a group: XYZSW is alive, but XYZWS is dead, or vice versa? Or likewise with N?

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:27 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 703
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Numsgil wrote:
So I'm going to try and tackle this since I can't find anything on it. The goal is to get an equation where you plug numbers in and get back the relative strength of the group numerically, and then turn that number in to a status (alive, alive with seki, alive with ko, life and death (eg: determined by sente), dead). Not sure how useful it will be but it's sort of a fun math-y exercise.

I might post some status questions once I dig in to this a bit.

Also, if players strong(er) in life and death would share any of the rules they use when judging a position, I'd find that useful. eg: "six die, eight live". Though maybe all stronger players just memorize all the positions and read it out when in doubt. I guess I don't really know.

edit: ah actually I have a fun problem already. Given the "notch code" that the sensei's library page uses, is there ever a time when a group: XYZSW is alive, but XYZWS is dead, or vice versa? Or likewise with N?

If I understand your question, the answer is yes: check out 116NWNotcher and 116WNNotcher. I was the one who started overhauling the format at TableOfNotchers, but I never got around to finishing it. It's a little time consuming and I have a hard time getting the diagrams to format the way I would like. If someone else wants to take a stab at that page, I would appreciate it :)

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:28 pm 
Lives in gote

emeraldemon wrote:
If I understand your question, the answer is yes: check out 116NWNotcher and 116WNNotcher.

Yeah I came across that example today.

Is the status for both those groups correct? The 116NW page lists the reason it's alive is that it's eight long, but I think that reasoning is off (even if the status is correct), since there are certainly groups on the second line that are eight long that are unsettled (eg: 116WW).

Quote:
I was the one who started overhauling the format at TableOfNotchers, but I never got around to finishing it. It's a little time consuming and I have a hard time getting the diagrams to format the way I would like. If someone else wants to take a stab at that page, I would appreciate it :)

I'm probably going to start stabbing away at it this weekend. I might also expand it to treat cases where there are stones on the first line, since I have a few examples where a dead shape can be put into limbo by adding a stone on the 1st line (either a hane or descent). But one thing at a time I guess.

A lot of the statuses are unfinished or maybe questionable (no sources, just an entry in a table). Maybe people could list any sources (publications or whatever) they know about the status of different notchers (and list the notcher and the status the book gives) and I can integrate them into the page so it has a bit of authority behind it? Or if there's a life and death database somewhere I can consult?

Post #9 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 51
Was liked: 192
KGS: Str1fe, Midorisuke
I think the 116NW is referring to "six die, eight live" for groups on the second line.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:54 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
If you took the time your going to spend to create the formula and did tsumegos instead im sure you would be able to know the status of all different kinds of notchers :)

Post #11 Posted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:11 pm 
Lives in gote

Shaddy wrote:
I think the 116NW is referring to "six die, eight live" for groups on the second line.

Right, but that doesn't necessarily apply to notchers, because the weakness created by a notch might make it killable. See this example (which ironically quotes the rule again). The eight need to be all on the second line without defect for the rule to really apply. Anything else is governed by a different rule.