It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Flying dagger tesujis
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:46 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
As should be no surprise to anyone, there are a lot of traps and complex difficulties in mi yuting's flying dagger joseki after the 3-3 invasion, which probably has a plausible claim at this point to be even more complex than the taisha or avalanche. Just for fun, here is an exploration of a few of the more surprising tactics in it heavily aided by AI analysis after specific training - it turns out, some of these lines can be very difficult or outright blind spots for even for AIs, if trained without aid. No guarantees that that any of this is entirely correct though, it's just my interpretation of some bot analysis. :)

Enjoy!

Attachments:
daggertesujis.sgf [5.94 KiB]
Downloaded 1367 times

This post by lightvector was liked by 7 people: bernds, Bill Spight, dany, gennan, Harleqin, MikeKyle, Uberdude

Post subject: Re: Flying dagger tesujis
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:25 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 30
Was liked: 87
KGS: 5d
OGS: 1d-2k
Does anyone know the name of Mi's flying dagger in Korean and Japanese? Is it also referred to as Mi's flying dagger/knife?

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Does anyone know the name of Mi's flying dagger in Korean and Japanese? Is it also referred to as Mi's flying dagger/knife?

I don't follow the Korean go press any more so can't comment on that. In Japan, Mi (like all other foreign-based players) barely gets a mention, and I haven't seen him mentioned in connection with josekis. But even if he were, 飞刀 not a normal Japanese locution and wouldn't have the same nuances as in Chinese. They'd just refer to a hamete or new move, and if for some obscure reason they wanted to allude to a weapon, I'd expect a shuriken to be the choice.

Incidentally, I detect a distinct move away from AI references in the Japanese go press. It may be the buddle has burst, or the novelty has worn off. Or it may just be that no-one has yet come up with any insights that make it worth referencing the bots, although a few columns mulling over AI josekis still appear.

The correct word to use in western texts is, of course, sgian-dubh.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
John Fairbairn wrote:
The correct word to use in western texts is, of course, sgian-dubh.

Sgians-dubha being the compromise plural?

Post #5 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:52 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:

No dumbing down here, please. This is a go forum: sgianan-dubha. And we're at it. let's not overlook the genitive singular: sgèine-duibhe.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

No dumbing down here, please. This is a go forum: sgianan-dubha. And we're at it. let's not overlook the genitive singular: sgèine-duibhe.

You're playing with fire. In a few months time you'll hear people using "sgeines-dhuba" and crediting you as the source of the term... (unpacking everything wrong there is a good exercise for anyone interested in this branch of the Celtic language family (i.e. Irish, Gaelic, Manx etc)