$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . . W . W X . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . W . . W X . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . b . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , 1 . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . O . a . X . . . . . |
$$ | . X O O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ +---------------------------------------+[/go]

I would never make such a small base at the top, but studying with KG has revived the idea of a 1 space extension in strategically sound cases. This is not one of them. The top is neither big nor urgent.

I want to play on the border of two moyos and attack the marked stones on a large scale. But A or B might be better locally. I'll check with KG

Post subject: Re: A small base is worse than no base
Post #22 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
kvasir wrote:
I think it is something much more fundamental and simpler than it looks. [...] This is about efficiency and purposefulness.

Indeed! The rest of my post was an attempt to chronicle my journey towards understanding that at its core it was really about efficiency.

(There was one other related concept in the "don't waste time making eyes" advice, which is that you are probably giving your opponent something in exchange for making those eyes. If you avoid making those needless-in-retrospect exchanges, you can probably do something more productive in the original area later on.)

Post #23 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
I want to play on the border of two moyos and attack the marked stones on a large scale.

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$c
$$ +---------------------------------------+
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . j . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . O . X . i . O . . O . . |
$$ | . . . , . O . . . k . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . h . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . X , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . W X X X . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . g . W . W X . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . W . . W X . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . a c . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . d f . b . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . e O . . . X . . . . . |

Although it would seem to be taking the discussion away from the concept of bases, I think we can widen the discussion in a way that sheds some light on that concept. And we can use known proverbs or heuristics.

First, I think we can probably agree that, in this position, talking about a base at the top is premature anyway. We can get to that conclusion my applying a standard proverb: "Play in the widest area". This seems to be a good proverb to apply because AI seems to follow it whenever strategic considerations override tactical ones. The important thing to note is that (yet again) words can traduce. "Wide" is not limited to gaps on the third and fourth lines, although it does include those. The real meaning is "spacious" and so includes the centre. That is enough (with no tactics to worry about) to tell us that our focus should be around 'a'.

Having grown up in go in the Age of Takagawa, my first instinct would be to look at the cap at 'a'. There is no proverb I can think of that justifies that (as a cap). There is a proverb that speaks against it ("Answer a cap with a knight's move", i.e. 'b' here). In addition, I learnt from bitter experience that a cap may feel like a sente move, but it can instantly turn into a gote liability (as with 'b' in answer to Black 'a' here, stranding the capping stone).

But the known proverb about playing at the pivot point between two moyos (e.g. 'c') also seems questionable here. There is a risk of letting White turn his moyo into territory instantly without being reduced in any significant way. But more pertinent is that Black doesn't really have a moyo yet in the centre of the lower-right quadrant, as it is populated by some white stones. I'll come back to that in a moment.

My sense of what AI (or, more accurately for me, of what AI-inspired pros) would play is the much more assertive (Chinese jin 紧) shoulder hit at 'd'. The thinking behind this "path of the devil" (I would imagine) would be that if White answers at 'e', that would be too submissive and he would end up being reduced far more than by the cap. But if White pushes up at 'f', that would be giving Black momentum (choshi) to move smoothly into the centre. So again, existing human knowledge can be used to justify that (always assuming it turns out to be correct).

More importantly, in my eyes, that would make the centre of the lower-right quadrant bigger (in the sense of 'more at stake').

We can look at even this through human eyes. In the days of the first London Go Centre (so some 50 years ago) there was a big buzz one day when somebody revealed a Russian proverb (I think someone had picked it up at a European Congress). It was along the lines of "if an area is worth 15 points or less, you can tenuki". David Mitchell, who then worked in the LGC, compiled a book or proverbs and included that one - anyone less lazy than me might care to look up the precise form of it. There were the usual "numbers guy" arguments about whether it should be 14 or 16 points, and later arguments about whether it really was the Russians who first discovered it. But, as far as I know, it had not previously surfaced in the Far East, so we can reasonably call it a European proverb, I think.

Is it reliable? It seemed to have dropped out of mainstream use fairly early, but I for one have never forgotten it, and I recall it every time I see a (to me) startling sacrifice in AI-type play. And I usually come to the conclusion that the proverb would be praised by AI if only it could talk. The area in the lower-right centre does seem to be worth around 15 points and so, following this proverb, that area should be left alone. I am therefore guessing that if Black played at 'g' to make the white group there heavier and so attackable, White would ignore it, although I suspect in real play many of us would just grit our teeth and connect.

But if Black starts with the shoulder hit 'd' and White does push him upwards via 'f', any play in the lower-right centre becomes bigger and more urgent. If we then envision any sort of attack on the white group, there would be twin Black forces moving towards the upper centre and converging somewhere around 'h'. In that case, any black stones in that area would be lighthouse stones (zhaoying) for the lone black stone at the top.

In that case, Black would not really have to contemplate making a base with 'i'. And by a similar line of reasoning probes at either 'j' or 'k' in that area are premature.

The best probe to play, therefore, I would suggest, is Black 'd'. My sense of AI play is that this is the sort of whole-board strategic play they adopt almost all the time (though I do think they prioritise moves in the widest areas).

I suspect it also marries with the pro style of play, though in their case they, unlike the bots, are at the limits of their whole-board vision and so are likely to make mistakes. I say this in the light of an experiment in the mid-1970s when Rin Kaiho (I think) and others tried playing on a 21x21 board. They came to the conclusion that it was too big for humans. The game just descended into a series of small tactical skirmishes with no obvious (to the pros) connections between them. They decided 19x19 created the best balance between tactics and strategy that left enough scope for differences in human skill to emerge reliably.

Of course, I could be all at sea here. My sense of AI play is almost 100% derived from looking at games by humans who appear to try to play like the bots. Maybe even that's too big an assumption on may part.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: xela

Post #24 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:55 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Your move is the best John!

Interestingly, many moves seem to be good in this position. The whole area above and around the white stone at the bottom is within 1 point of move suggested by our own sAI, John fAIrbAIrn. Next to that, attachments at A or B also get approval and so does the thrust at C. The position is very close btw, B+2 with 6.5 komi.

[go]$$c
$$ | . . . . . . . b . . . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . a O . . . O . X . . . O . c O . . |
$$ | . . . , . O . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . W X X X . . |
$$ | . X O . . . x x x x x . . . W . W X . |
$$ | . X O . . . x x x x x . . W . . W X . |
$$ | . . X O . . x x x x x . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . X O . . x x x x x x . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . x O x x . X . . . . . |

Myself I had my eyes on a leaning attack, but upon seeing John's move, I could find nothing against it. Like he said, giving White easy territory for an uncertain attack on the central/right stones, is risky.

Post #25 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:20 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 57
It seems to me that the choice of the initial black move is a matter of style.
OC we have to learn from AI suggestion but finally we have also to play moves you understand and you like to play.

Assume you are quite strong (or confident?) with solid territory and a more or less big moyo for your opponent. Then why not taking a lot of points on the bottom in sente followed by a move in the upper right corner?
Who is able to know if white as enough compensation with her bigger and stronger moyo in the bottom center?

[go]$$B
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . 7 O . . . O . X . . . O . . O . . |
$$ | . . . , . O . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . O X X X . . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . a . O . O X . |
$$ | . X O . . . . . . . . . . W . . O X . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . 2 . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . 6 O . 1 . X . . . . . |
$$ | . X O O . . . . 4 3 5 . . . . . . . . |
Note that white stone marked with a circled if not (yet) connected to white :w2: and note that the peep at "a" may cause trouble for white. That means that white moyo is maybe not that big.

If you like large scale attack then you can OC choose the shoulder hit proposed by Knotwilg and maintain the white groups separated.

Post #26 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 12:55 pm 
Oza

Quote:

This is true, and quite a few pros say they prefer to play moves they understand and are happy with. Indeed, the kind of move you showed is in the human armoury with a name: Honinbo's ikken-tobi. It's from Edo times, when there was no komi, and a safe move like this was a way of guaranteeing a win.

Quote:
That means that white moyo is maybe not that big.

But I'd take issue with this a bit. There's a difference between a moyo (a loose framework) and a jimoyo (a framework that is almost already territory). That very solidity makes the jimoyo 'bigger' in the senses of stronger or more important. It's rather like the difference between a simple wall (attackable and so not really thickness) and true thickness (not attackable). Such considerations have to be factored into the evaluation. I'm not entirely sure how you do that, but one aspect of having a jimoyo as opposed to a moyo is that the opponent will not have many forcing or endgame moves against it. In this position, I'd hazard a guess that making White stronger by giving him a jimoyo below would make the lone black stone at the top much weaker, and that would have knock-on effects all over the board as its scrambles for safety. Rob van Zeijst said a weak, eyeless group is to be evaluated as around -20 points.

Post #27 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:08 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 21
Was liked: 57
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

This is true, and quite a few pros say they prefer to play moves they understand and are happy with. Indeed, the kind of move you showed is in the human armoury with a name: Honinbo's ikken-tobi. It's from Edo times, when there was no komi, and a safe move like this was a way of guaranteeing a win.

In addition, when I was a beginner, I was told to play tenuki if I am not happy with a local move. Do you apply such advice?
As far as I am concern I continue really to apply such advice but after the game I can easily change my view. ;-)

Post #28 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:00 pm 
Oza

Quote:
In addition, when I was a beginner, I was told to play tenuki if I am not happy with a local move. Do you apply such advice?

I don't really don't know how to answer that out of context. But given that you are talking about the time when you were a beginner, I suppose that then any such advice would be better than nothing. After all, most beginners complain about the size of the board and ANY advice is seized upon.

But for dan or high kyu players, which I think is the audience here, I'd be disappointed if they were still taking that advice literally.

The point is, tenuki does NOT just mean playing elsewhere. To be sure, you will find it defined that way (i.e. "playing elsewhere without answering the opponent's move") even in Japanese books. But the Japanese reader knows how the word is formed (skipping a move: te wo nuku) and so will automatically add an important nuance.

When you are skipping a move (at dan level), you are deliberately leaving something undone. That deliberateness implies knowing what you are doing. You have made a careful calculation. That is the very opposite of a beginners' level tenuki where they are playing elsewhere because basically they DON'T know what they are doing.

Indeed, we can say that a (proper) tenuki is a high-level tactic/strategy. It is tactical in that, by playing elsewhere, you may hope to influence the situation so that you may be able to go back and play again in the area where you omitted a move, to add to any gain you may have made by playing elsewhere - and, into, the bargain, making a better choice of whatever moves were initially available in that area!

In practice, it may all seem to come to the same thing, but I think it's important to acknowledge the extra nuance if you wish to improve. I think even pros have been startled by how rich and frequent tenukis (proper ones) have proved in AI play. However, while I believe it is partly this extra nuance that is capturing their attention, it also seems that a combination of timing and multiple (proper) tenukis are perhaps even more major elements for them. These are elements I can't begin to grasp, though, so I say all this with the appropriate caveats.

Post #29 Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 208
Was liked: 265
GD Posts: 200
John Fairbairn wrote:
In the days of the first London Go Centre (so some 50 years ago) there was a big buzz one day when somebody revealed a Russian proverb (I think someone had picked it up at a European Congress). It was along the lines of "if an area is worth 15 points or less, you can tenuki". David Mitchell, who then worked in the LGC, compiled a book or proverbs and included that one - anyone less lazy than me might care to look up the precise form of it. There were the usual "numbers guy" arguments about whether it should be 14 or 16 points, and later arguments about whether it really was the Russians who first discovered it. But, as far as I know, it had not previously surfaced in the Far East, so we can reasonably call it a European proverb, I think.

Thanks John, I can add this one to my collection! In my other recent example of an AI-recommended tenuki that surprised me, Gérard helpfully calculated the miai value as 14 points, so this is consistent (although for most middlegame positions, I can't count accurately enough to get hung up over the exact number: "more than 10 and less than 20" is probably good enough for jazz).