It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4-4 novelties - not for the squamous
Post #1 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:12 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
I was rather taken aback when looking at an article in the latest Gekkan Go World (Aug 2011). It caught my attention in the first place because of the heading which referred to scales falling from someone's eyes. The thing is, while I know what the phrase means (belated but sudden understanding of something) I've always thought of it as an extremely odd locution as I've never heard how dislodgeable scales get on eyes in the first place. I was amazed that such a meaningless phrase turning up in Japanese. I'm pretty it must have entered Japanase via an early translation from English The use of uroko (fish scale) for "scale" rather gives the game away. Even though I don't understand where the English version comes from, I'm pretty sure it's not a piscine origin.

It takes that sort of odd thing for me to get to look at a technical article, but when I did the scales rather fell from my eyes as well!

In the sequence in the diagram below (where, it is my impression, White 7 is becoming increasingly popular), Black 18 is classed a new move. It's not quite (Maeda played it in 1936) but it's very rare and has enjoyed a little flurry in recent times. The standard joseki move is at A, though it's possible to insert the atari at B first. In practice Black will have a stone around C of course. The joseki move at A leaves a huge amount of aji on the side. The key points for White are D then E, and/or F. I therefore took it for granted that Black 18 was a good, natural move and one I would have played. I was aware of the alternative at A, but thought it was just a matter of style. In fact A has all the bragging rights here. So scale #1 fell down. Something fishy here, I thought, so I read on.

[sgf-full](;AB[pd]AP[MultiGo:4.2.1]SZ[19]MULTIGOGM[1]
;W[nc];B[lc];W[qc];B[qd];W[pc];B[od];W[nd];B[oc];W[ob];B[pb];W[qb];B[nb];W[pa];B[ne]
;W[mb];B[md];W[na];B[of]LB[mf:A][mc:B][pj:C][rd:D][qe:E][qg:F])[/sgf-full]

Without explaining the wherefores, I was intrigued to see that the logic of Black 18 has also led to a re-appraisal of Black 16. If Black is going to play 18, there is a good case for omitting 16. One wherefore is that it leaves the possibility of the next diagram.

[sgf-full](;AB[pd][mb][od][nd][nc][me][nf][pj][kc]AW[oc][pc][pb][oa][nb][mc][md][lb]AP[MultiGo:4.2.1]
SZ[19]MULTIGOGM[1]
;B[ke];W[dp];B[kb]LB[ka:A])[/sgf-full]

This example reveals rather nicely I think why the author, Kono Rin 9-dan, has a good claim to be the best writer on joseki anywhere. Apart from the professional skill of identifying the novelties and their relative importance, he has a nice way of structuring his articles, managing to cover a lot of ground in the few pages allotted to him, while scattering valuable details round non-stop. In the present article, the aji details mentioned above are amply covered, for example. But I like also the kind of detail of Black 3 in this diagram - it threatens Black A. It's common to mention a follow-up move in a joseki. You might very occasionally get a follow-up of a follow-up. But a a follow-up of a follow-up of a follow-up? It's this kind of insight (scale #2 dropping) that he shows into the position that makes me all trembly with admiration for Kono's work.

I gave a more extended example of his work in Go Companion (The Fighting Chinese Fuseki), but the ideal would be to read his long series over several years in Gekkan Go World. I haven't looked at every instalment but from those that have inveigled me, I think you will see that he pinpoints the novelties authoritatively and has the knack of discussing the after-life of josekis maybe two stages beyond what you see in joseki dictionaries.

The joseki shown here has appeared in Game 1 of the Judan Final this year, BTW, if you want to look at in the wild (Cho U played it against Iyama).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: gowan, mw42, Tami

Post subject: Re: 4-4 novelties - not for the squamous
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:22 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
John Fairbairn wrote:
I was rather taken aback when looking at an article in the latest Gekkan Go World (Aug 2011). It caught my attention in the first place because of the heading which referred to scales falling from someone's eyes. The thing is, while I know what the phrase means (belated but sudden understanding of something) I've always thought of it as an extremely odd locution as I've never heard how dislodgeable scales get on eyes in the first place. I was amazed that such a meaningless phrase turning up in Japanese. I'm pretty it must have entered Japanase via an early translation from English The use of uroko (fish scale) for "scale" rather gives the game away. Even though I don't understand where the English version comes from, I'm pretty sure it's not a piscine origin.

My bet is it came to Japan via Christian missionaries.

"Then Ananias went to the house and entered it. Placing his hands on Saul, he said, 'Brother Saul, the Lord-Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you were coming here-has sent me so that you may see again and be filled with the Holy Spirit.' Immediately something like scales fell from Saul's eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized, and after taking some food, he regained his strength." (Bible, Acts 9:17-19)

This post by judicata was liked by: ez4u

Post #3 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
A quick glance at a lexicon suggests that λεπιδες does refer specifically to fish scales, but IANAC.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:10 am 
Oza

Liked others: 2340
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
According to GoGoD the starting position in the second example (i.e. omitting 16) first occurred in Hyeon Mi-chin, 2d - Nakazawa Ayako, 4d 1st Hungchang Cup, Round 1, 1999-09-30. Although it reverted on the next play as shown.
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . 2 . . 5 . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3 . O . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . X O O X 4 |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . X X O . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . X . . . . . X O . O |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . X O O . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

Kono Rin refers to an Takao-Iyama game but that is not in GoGoD yet.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
Nice article! Does the expression "eye-scales falling off" you mention not refer to the scales they put on horses' eyes, to prevent them from being distracted by any traffic? At least, that's what you'd say in Dutch ("de oogkleppen vielen af")

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #6 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:30 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
I wonder how many people caught the subtle play on words in the title there.

"squamous" means "covered in scales", while the whole expression is, of course, very near to "not for the squeamish"

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by 2 people: ez4u, gowan

Post #7 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
Nice article! Does the expression "eye-scales falling off" you mention not refer to the scales they put on horses' eyes, to prevent them from being distracted by any traffic? At least, that's what you'd say in Dutch ("de oogkleppen vielen af")

We call them blinkers, but I wouldn't be surprised if our cowboy brethren call them something else. I think the missionary link mentioned above explains the Japanese connection best.

Looking it up on the internet to satisfy own curiosity, I see that a modern version of the Bible has the ugly "something like scales fell away from Shaul's eyes", as if the translator wasn't sure of the meaning of the original word. However, the beautiful King James Bible has "And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales", turning it into a simile rather than the modern metaphor, and this suddenly makes sense. It is fish scales after all - they fall off dead fish easily and whatever it was that was blocking Saul's eyes fell away like fish scales. Rendering it as a metaphor makes you think (outisde of context) of cataracts or flaky skin and so on.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:29 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 330
GD Posts: 1193
KGS: lavalamp
Tygem: imapenguin
IGS: lavalamp
OGS: daniel_the_smith
John Fairbairn wrote:
We call them blinkers, but I wouldn't be surprised if our cowboy brethren call them something else.

I've heard them called "blinders" over here. Not sure if that was from cowboys or not, though.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 703
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Yup, I've heard blinders in the U.S. Of course cowboys don't put blinders on their horses, so I don't think they'd have a special term for it. I assume by "cowboys" John was referring to Americans in general...

Post #10 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 790
Too many ordinary moves (like the hanging connection) are called novelties. The reason for optionally omitting the atari is nice though.