All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opening thoughts
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:12 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
I already did two of these in another thread, and people liked them, so I thought I'd do another one:

Here's an opening from a recent game, with comments showing what I was thinking about on every one of my moves.

[sgf-full](;CA[Windows-1252]SZ[19]AP[MultiGo:4.3.0]EV[Korean Ambassador's Cup]RO[5]DT[2010-06-13]
PC[Delft]PB[Willem-Koen Pomstra]BR[5d]PW[Herman Hiddema]WR[4d]KM[6.5]TM[2700]RE[B+9.5]
GM[0]
;B[cp];W[pq]C[I like the position of this 3-4 stone in relation to Black's lower left 3-4 stone, presenting the low, closed side to black's open side.]
;B[dc];W[pc]C[I play facing 3-4 points like this regularly. I feel comfortable with it.]
;B[eq];W[de]C[This is the usual move to play when black has the position he has on the left now. I've played this plenty of times.]
;B[ce];W[cf]C[If I can play the usual joseki here, I'll be happy. I played the same opening in a recent game against a 2 dan, and the reviewing Korean 7 dan criticized black's attachment for having a bad result when white has facing 3-4 stones on the right, and preferred the one point high pincer.]
;B[cd];W[dg]C[There is also a variation where white first plays B4 in the lower left, but I'm not a fan of that. If black allows me to develop a solid group on the left, I'll be happy with my opening. The previous round in this same tournament, black pincered at D10 instead of playing at F17, but I'm not afraid of that either.]
;B[fc];W[ck]C[This is what I was expecting. Still happy. Now I expect black will exchange C7 for E9, and my group will be strong and I'll be happy with the position. ]
;B[cm];W[ek]C[As expected.];B[qe];W[qk]C[The idea behind this move is that it is close enough to make it bad for black to press down with P16, but far enough away to prevent a counter-pincer.]
;B[od];W[oc]C[This I like. Black's wall will be less effective because of R9, so I'm happy to take territory here.]
;B[nd];W[mc]C[Fine result for me, IMO];B[md];W[lc]C[He's pushing from behind? That makes R9 even better, as any extension he plays will be even more cramped and overconcentrated.]
;B[ld];W[kc]C[More territory for me. Hane is normal here, but with the strong low stone at F17, I see no reason to get into the complicated variants springing from allowing black to cut, so I'll just play solid and take more points.]
;B[qi];W[qn]C[Now his extension is cramped, but I have to prevent him from invading here, as that would allow him to use his wall. I'll play this solid move and take points as well.]
;B[nq];W[lq]C[He wants the corner, he can have it. I'll develop the lower side.]
;B[qq];W[pp]C[Please take the corner, I'll build a wall and finish with a nice extension at J3.]
;B[qp];W[qr]C[Hmm, I expected him to hane at the bottom first. I like this better for me, as it allows me to use the R9 stone in the containment of the corner.]
;B[rr];W[pr]C[Only move.];B[rn];W[qm]C[I'm getting stronger and stronger, but I need sente to make use of it, so I'll play like this to make sure he takes gote. If I play hane, he gets the forcing move at R5, then the cut at R7 and then he can get sente with T6, I think.]
;B[qo];W[po]C[Only move.];B[rm];W[rl]C[Only move again, can't let black live in sente.]
;B[rs];W[iq]C[He lived in gote, and I got the extension I wanted, so that makes me happy. I feel comfortable in this game. I think I'm slightly ahead, but not by a lot.]
;B[oj];W[ok]C[I am strong here, so if he plays hane I can cut and fight. If he extends I'll play keima and my area of development will be larger.]
;B[nj];W[ml]C[If we both keep jumping, I will make 7 lines of territory per move along the bottom, while he makes 5.]
;B[jp];W[jq]C[Keep connected, don't give black too many options for reducing lightly.]
;B[lp];W[kp]C[Make strong shape, try to see if black can be made heavy.];B[ko];W[kq]
C[Only move, can't give a ponnuki];B[lj];W[kl]C[Attack the black stones below while keeping my options open in the center.]
;B[jn];W[hn]C[From here, the middle game has begun. The focus of the game switches to how white can maximize his profit from attacking black, and how black can minimize white's profit.])[/sgf-full]

These are not professional level thoughts of course, but I hope some people find these thoughts at my level instructive nonetheless :)

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by 10 people: Bartleby, CarlJung, Chew Terr, daal, dfan, flOvermind, phrax, prokofiev, rubin427, SoDesuNe

Post subject: Re: Opening thoughts
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:51 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Good stuff, Herman. I'd be interested in your views on the following.

1. You say a Korean 7-dan criticised Black 7. Since 122 pros, including the very best, out of 141 played this in the GoGoD database, I wonder what this says about Korean 7-dans ;-)

2. You were happy to give up the lower right corner for a wall of thickness*. Playing in a way that makes you comfortable counts for a lot, of course, but such walls are normally made for attack, yet Black has no nearby weaknesses so there was nothing for you to attack. If Black had not impetuously invaded at 47 you wouldn't have had any attack. Seems to me that if he played a lightly erasing nozomi at K8 (threatening also to link on a big scale at M9), you would have had to end up surrounding your own thickness. In that case, taking the rather large corner seems to work out well for Black.

* I'm not even convinced this is genuine thickness. Black has a couple of peeps and a loosely surrounded aji-ful stone, and White has no eye shape yet. Plus, if you'd had J3 in place first, I don't think you would have played M3.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:36 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
Thanks Herman for sharing your thoughts. Regarding the lower-right corner, I am with John here. Some questions for you:

If we apply tewari to the lower-right corner and assume the white Q3 stone is at 4-4 when black approaches it, it looks like white would play the one-space pincer to force the black into the corner. I wonder whether the one-space pincer is a good response in this situation, given that white already invested 2 more stones on the right side. I would probably just extend from Q3 to secure a good chunk of territory. Black cannot claim the lower side with another move anyway. If we should play a pincer move, would a 2-space pincer be better here? If black then plays the same sequence as in the game, white gets to extend one space further to the left. If white intends to create a moyo facing the left, would a high pincer be better? White M3 and J3 (and R6) stones look low for a good moyo. Or maybe white should kick black O3 stone before playing a pincer? Next a jump or 2-space extension becomes miai.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:51 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 49
Interesting opening, thought I'd share a few thoughts.

[sgf-full](;GM[1]AP[StoneBase:SGFParser.3.0.1]SZ[19]CA[Windows-1252]HA[0]KM[6.5]TM[2700]EV[Korean Ambassador's Cup]PB[Willem-Koen Pomstra]BR[5d]PW[Herman Hiddema]WR[4d]RE[B+9.5]RO[5]DT[2010-06-13]PC[Delft]
;B[cp];W[pq];B[dc];W[pc];B[eq];W[de];B[ce]C[It's a little surprising that the 7dan disagreed with this move. There's nothing wrong with it. Perhaps he was simply trying to express his personal preference in joseki, rather than saying the move was bad.

This would make more sense to me as we all have such preferences.];W[cf];B[cd]
(;W[dg]C[Example of my earlier statement, i dislike this joseki for white. Though i am a fan of leaving aji in a position. the sheer amount black has against white now is something that always makes me uncomfortable. ];B[fc];W[ck]LB[cm:A][ch:B][ef:C]C[A-C give black so many options. Does he want to invade or build up. This is why i dislike this joseki. That said, there's nothing wrong with the joseki ^^];B[cm];W[ek]LB[ef:A]C[Some aji has disappeared, but A still exists. ];B[qe];W[qk]LB[qi:A]C[I don't like this move because it puts no pressure upon black. Or, perhaps it puts a little pressure, but its so light that its quite difficult to measure.

With the ideas you've stated, i would instead play A if i was going to pincer. This ensures some pressure is being applied (ie, he ecan't make a base) while still being too far to counter pincer if he decides to get influence.]
(;B[od];W[oc];B[nd];W[mc]
(;B[md]C[Mistake for black. You're quite right, the wall here simply doesnt make sense. So...he shouldn't build one.];W[lc];B[ld];W[kc];B[qi]
(;W[qn]C[I would just take the normal enclosure as opposed to the large knight. I don't mind invasions and white's follow up locally is stronger.]
(;B[nq];W[lq]C[Agreed, black is too impatient.];B[qq];W[pp];B[qp];W[qr]C[Hmm, I expected him to hane at the bottom first. I like this better for me, as it allows me to use the R9 stone in the containment of the corner.];B[rr];W[pr]C[Only move.];B[rn]
(;W[qm]C[I'm getting stronger and stronger, but I need sente to make use of it, so I'll play like this to make sure he takes gote. If I play hane, he gets the forcing move at R5, then the cut at R7 and then he can get sente with T6, I think.];B[qo];W[po]C[Only move.];B[rm];W[rl];B[rs];W[iq]C[Again, i agree. White should be content with this position.];B[oj];W[ok];B[nj];W[ml];B[jp];W[jq];B[lp];W[kp];B[ko];W[kq];B[lj];W[kl];B[jn];W[hn]))
(;B[kp]C[Shame on black for not being more wary of white's strength. Yes, he can still live in white's corner. That doesn't mean he has to do so immediately. I think a better strategy here would be to see if he can force white to play another move in the corner to defend it. ]))
(;W[po];B[ep];W[oj]))
(;B[qc]C[If he settles here...];W[dk];B[qi]C[He gets the chance to get a pretty fine extention for himself later. It could even be sente depending on the corner.]))
(;B[qh];W[qd];B[pe];W[nc];B[qo]C[A variation such as this leaves us with the feeling that white's idea is backfiring. If black gets a solid group in sente, the marked stone finds itself in danger as it can no longer get a base.])
(;B[kp]C[Also dislike that another move must be played simply to begin putting pressure upon the stone.];W[qh];B[mc];W[pe];B[jd];W[qd]C[And it takes many mores stones to kill it...];B[pf];W[qf];B[oe];W[re]C[That's a lot of extra moves for 1 corner, in my opinion.];B[ef]))
(;W[bp]C[Attachment is a bit more common. This method of play as always felt as if white was seeking to squeeze every bit of aji to further his position.]))[/sgf-full]

This post by serapis was liked by: Chew Terr

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:02 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc
$$ --------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . . p . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . X . X . . . . . .
$$ | . . X , p . . . . , . .
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . O 2 1 . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . p . . . . . , . .
$$ | . . O . O . . . . . . .
$$ | . . . p . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . .
$$ | . . X , . . . . . , . .[/go]

What is the problem with that peep? I mean, there are always peeps, but everyone and his dog can connect against a peep, no? Why would this peep make White uncomfortable?

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:33 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
A few thoughts. :)

[sgf-full](;ST[2]CA[Windows-1252]SZ[19]AP[GOWrite:2.2.21]FF[4]GM[1]RO[5]GN[ ]PB[Willem-Koen Pomstra]TM[2700.0]PW[Herman Hiddema]BR[5d]FG[259:]DT[2010-06-13]KM[6.5]EV[Korean Ambassador's Cup]PC[Delft]PM[0]RE[B+9.5]WR[4d]
;B[cp]
;C[I like the position of this 3-4 stone in relation to Black's lower left 3-4 stone, presenting the low, closed side to black's open side.]W[pq]
;B[dc]
;C[I play facing 3-4 points like this regularly. I feel comfortable with it.]W[pc]
;B[eq]
;C[This is the usual move to play when black has the position he has on the left now. I've played this plenty of times.]W[de]
;C[*** I too have heard this move criticized, even though it was popular for a long time. It makes a nice corner, but it invites White to build a good position as well.]B[ce]
;C[If I can play the usual joseki here, I'll be happy. I played the same opening in a recent game against a 2 dan, and the reviewing Korean 7 dan criticized black's attachment for having a bad result when white has facing 3-4 stones on the right, and preferred the one point high pincer.]W[cf]
;B[cd]
(
;C[There is also a variation where white first plays B4 in the lower left, but I'm not a fan of that. If black allows me to develop a solid group on the left, I'll be happy with my opening. The previous round in this same tournament, black pincered at D10 instead of playing at F17, but I'm not afraid of that either.

*** See variation.]W[dg]
;B[fc]
;C[This is what I was expecting. Still happy. Now I expect black will exchange C7 for E9, and my group will be strong and I'll be happy with the position. ]W[ck]
;B[cm]
(
;C[As expected.

*** See variation.]W[ek]
;B[qe]
;C[The idea behind this move is that it is close enough to make it bad for black to press down with P16, but far enough away to prevent a counter-pincer.]W[qk]
(
;C[*** Not necessarily bad, but I do not like it. See variations.]B[od]
;C[This I like. Black's wall will be less effective because of R9, so I'm happy to take territory here.]W[oc]
;B[nd]
;C[Fine result for me, IMO]W[mc]
;C[*** I agree than this is not so good. Black should switch to the bottom side now, I think.]B[md]
;C[He's pushing from behind? That makes R9 even better, as any extension he plays will be even more cramped and overconcentrated.]W[lc]
(
;C[*** See variation.]B[ld]
;C[More territory for me. Hane is normal here, but with the strong low stone at F17, I see no reason to get into the complicated variants springing from allowing black to cut, so I'll just play solid and take more points.]W[kc]
;C[*** Small. Black's group can get by without this play. If this was the object of Black's play, better to pincer instead of playing P-16.]B[qi]
;C[Now his extension is cramped, but I have to prevent him from invading here, as that would allow him to use his wall. I'll play this solid move and take points as well.]W[qn]
(
;C[*** Too close. See variation.]B[nq]
(
;C[He wants the corner, he can have it. I'll develop the lower side.

*** Also too close, I think. See variation.]W[lq]
;B[qq]
(
;C[Please take the corner, I'll build a wall and finish with a nice extension at J3.

*** See variation.]W[pp]
;B[qp]
(
;C[Hmm, I expected him to hane at the bottom first. I like this better for me, as it allows me to use the R9 stone in the containment of the corner.

*** See variation.]W[qr]
;B[rr]
;C[Only move.]W[pr]
;B[rn]
(
;C[I'm getting stronger and stronger, but I need sente to make use of it, so I'll play like this to make sure he takes gote. If I play hane, he gets the forcing move at R5, then the cut at R7 and then he can get sente with T6, I think.]W[qm]
;B[qo]
;C[Only move.]W[po]
;B[rm]
;C[Only move again, can't let black live in sente.]W[rl]
;B[rs]
;C[He lived in gote, and I got the extension I wanted, so that makes me happy. I feel comfortable in this game. I think I'm slightly ahead, but not by a lot.]W[iq]
;B[oj]
;C[I am strong here, so if he plays hane I can cut and fight. If he extends I'll play keima and my area of development will be larger.]W[ok]
;B[nj]
;C[If we both keep jumping, I will make 7 lines of territory per move along the bottom, while he makes 5.]W[ml]
;B[jp]
;C[Keep connected, don't give black too many options for reducing lightly.]W[jq]
;B[lp]
;C[Make strong shape, try to see if black can be made heavy.]W[kp]
;B[ko]
;C[Only move, can't give a ponnuki]W[kq]
;B[lj]
;C[Attack the black stones below while keeping my options open in the center.]W[kl]
;B[jn]
;C[From here, the middle game has begun. The focus of the game switches to how white can maximize his profit from attacking black, and how black can minimize white's profit.]W[hn]
)
(
;W[rm]
(
;C[*** Not so good, I think. See variation.]B[qo]
;W[po]
;B[qm]
;W[pn]
;B[sn]
;W[rl]
;B[tt]
;W[sr]
(
;B[rs]
;W[rq]
;B[rp]
;W[sp]
)
(
;B[sq]
;W[rp]
;B[ro]
;W[rs]
)

)
(
;B[ro]
;W[qm]
;B[rs]
;W[qo]
)

)

)
(
;C[*** Another way.]W[qo]
;B[pr]
;W[or]
;B[qr]
;W[oq]
;B[ro]
;W[rn]
;B[sp]
)

)
(
;C[*** Another thought.]W[qp]
(
;B[pr]
;W[pp]
;B[rr]
;W[rq]
;B[qr]
;W[oq]
;B[or]
;W[np]
)
(
;B[pp]
;W[po]
;B[op]
;W[rq]
;B[qr]
;W[rr]
;B[pr]
;W[iq]
)

)

)
(
;W[jq]
)

)
(
;B[kq]
)

)
(
;C[*** For later.]B[nc]
;W[nb]
;B[ob]
(
;W[mb]
;B[qc]
;W[pb]
)
(
;W[pb]
;B[mb]
;W[oa]
;B[kc]
;W[lb]
;B[ld]
)

)

)
(
;C[*** I think this is the biggest play now.]B[kq]
)

(
;C[*** Or maybe this.]B[nq]
;W[po]
;B[kq]
)

)
(
;C[*** Another way.]W[po]
)

)
(
;C[*** I like this play now.]W[po]
(
;C[*** If Black cuts, White still has aji in the top left corner.]B[df]
;C[*** Here or a double enclosure looks good.]W[qi]
)
(
;B[qe]
;C[*** Now White can come back, having gotten his preference of the enclosures on the right side.]W[dg]
)

)

)[/sgf-full]

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 73
KGS: CarlJung
HermanHiddema wrote:
I already did two of these in another thread, and people liked them, so I thought I'd do another one:

This is great on so many levels. First, us mere kyu players get insight on the reasoning from stronger players in a very accessible format. For some reason I find this more accessible than the Malcovich games. Secondly, we get to see high level discussion, something that is mostly non existant for those playing only online at home. Thirdly, Herman gets feedback an suggestions too. Everybody wins.

I hope to see more of this in the future, from other players too.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:23 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 49
Harleqin wrote:
What is the problem with that peep? I mean, there are always peeps, but everyone and his dog can connect against a peep, no? Why would this peep make White uncomfortable?

If you are referring to my post, i was pointing out the sheer amount of aji (options) left against that position. The peep is simply one among many.

Post #9 Posted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:42 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Thanks all for the comments! I am extremely busy right now, as I am moving on monday, so I will leave my answers on comments regarding specific moves for next week. I will then also post another game with facing 3-4, where I played :w16: again and felt that it was sufficiently punished byt my (6 dan) opponent to make me rethink my assumptions on it :)

In reply to John's first question, I think that serapis' suggestion that the criticism is a personal dislike may be spot on. It is entirely possible that I interpreted an "I don't like this move" as a "This move is no good". It would certainly be in line with her style of play to dislike this move, she generally prefers agressive, influence based moves, and will often comment moves as being "just points" and thus not very important.