It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training time control
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:46 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
A player gets into byoyomi whether he has short or long thinking time. An obvious remedy is to have him to train by playing lightning games. What other remedies there are? On idea is to have one's own (mechanical clock) next to the official clock, set a shorter time in it, operate it and try to survive with its time. Would this be allowed in a tournament?

Post subject: Re: Training time control
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:01 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
In general, I think training with 80% of the time you expect to have in the real event is a good idea.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Is entering overtime a problem per se? If you train a lot online, overtime is often the default.

A real problem IMO is when players use too much time to come to a certain decision, i.e.

- they could have reached the same decision with much less time
- they invest long thinking time in positions where it doesn't really matter

For myself I have at some point in my training spent a couple of games under a focus on time management (in my case to combat too fast play):

"Play 10 games with 5m + 5x30s
Let 1 overtime pass in a L&D situation
Let 1 overtime pass when choosing to launch a ko or avoid it (figure out if I'm ko-master)
and then another one of those 2
Finally let 1 overtime pass when the endgame is about to start, to figure out who's ahead and where the 5 biggest endgame are
Use the final overtime to cover the endgame"

I think this has helped me to be more aware of time overall, not be afraid to lose some overtimes and be able to fall back on a system of time management.

I haven't experimented with artificial boosters or reducers. I think time management has to be integrated into the play itself, not be treated as context.

My 2 cents.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, Holly Miller

Post #4 Posted: Thu May 14, 2020 5:18 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 2
Knotwilg wrote:
Is entering overtime a problem per se? If you train a lot online, overtime is often the default.

A real problem IMO is when players use too much time to come to a certain decision, i.e.

- they could have reached the same decision with much less time
- they invest long thinking time in positions where it doesn't really matter

For myself I have at some point in my training spent a couple of games under a focus on time management (in my case to combat too fast play):

"Play 10 games with 5m + 5x30s
Let 1 overtime pass in a L&D situation
Let 1 overtime pass when choosing to launch a ko or avoid it (figure out if I'm ko-master)
and then another one of those 2
Finally let 1 overtime pass when the endgame is about to start, to figure out who's ahead and where the 5 biggest endgame are
Use the final overtime to cover the endgame"

I think this has helped me to be more aware of time overall, not be afraid to lose some overtimes and be able to fall back on a system of time management.

I haven't experimented with artificial boosters or reducers. I think time management has to be integrated into the play itself, not be treated as context.

My 2 cents.

Thanks for your opinion. Completely agree with your idea that players use too much time to come to a certain decision.