It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: If I have to buy ONLY 1 book...
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:25 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I'm a beginner and if I have to buy ONLY 1 book, what would you recommend me?
The lack of money is why i did this post. ;-)

Post subject: Re: If I have to buy ONLY 1 book...
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
If I had limited resources as a beginner, I'd focus on using all the free resources I have available first such as reading all the pages of Sensei's Library. Then when you have an understanding of the fundamental ideas of go, perhaps buy "Invincible" which is a good collection of commented games of Honinbo Shusaku.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:16 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
The only book I had for sometime at beginner level was "How to play Go", by Charles Matthews, and I'd happily recommend it.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:27 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
If you had money for only zero book, I would suggest these two pdf files :
http://holosys.co.uk/usagi/

Actually, even if you were rich, I'd still recommand them.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:42 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 86
GD Posts: 104
TimeZero wrote:
I'm a beginner and if I have to buy ONLY 1 book, what would you recommend me?
The lack of money is why i did this post. ;-)

If you can find your way here, then you do not need books for true beginners; there are free resources online to help you get to 15k. Really, you could just play lots of games and get to 15k.

You will get a lot of mileage out of Tesuji and Life & Death (from the Elementary Go Series). But... there are lots of free Go problems out there.

Invincible is a classic because of the great commentary and large collection of games. But perhaps more importantly, every time I read it I want to play more Go. This has been true since I first read the book as a ~4k. Even though the fuseki is outdated and the games are all ancient I cannot think of another Go book that gives me the same inspiration.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
For mileage, comprehensiveness, sampling of problems and theory, and pure motivational grit, I would choose Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go.

It's a book that could last you from 20k to 1 dan, but it won't take you there on its own. No book will.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:19 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
cdybeijing wrote:
For mileage, comprehensiveness, sampling of problems and theory, and pure motivational grit, I would choose Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go...

I second this.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:26 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 546
Was liked: 173
GD Posts: 264
KGS: Chew
I have heard 'The Second Book of Go' described as the best book for beginners, though I did not find it until I was past its target audience, so I never read it.

Also, you may consider a problem book, such as Graded Go Problems for Beginners, Volume 2. It is worth noting, however, that free options like goproblems.com are an option on this front.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
For a beginner, I'd recommend Go, A Complete Introduction to the Game.

http://www.kiseido.com/K50.htm

Post #10 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:35 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 703
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
I would recommend either 1001 Life and Death Problems, or one of the Graded Go Problems for Beginners series, depending on your level. The shortest path to improvement is paved with tsumego, and if you carry 1001 L&D around with you and do 10 problems a day, I think in a few months you'll notice a big difference in your go.

Post #11 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:53 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Before I saw that the question was for a beginner, I thought about what would be the best book for any go player, if they could have but one. To my surprise, I came up with the Joseki Encyclopedia ( 囲碁大辞典 ) by Suzuki. (Yeah, I know, it's out of print.)

Even though the saying is "Learn joseki, lose two stones," joseki really does have almost everything: tesuji, life and death, judgement of influence vs. territory, professional play. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #12 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 am 
Beginner

Thanks everyone for all your input! Before making this post, I had already ordered "Invicible" because I kinda know who is Shusaku when I read Hikaru no Go, but I wanted some advices to get another book soon.

Continue to give suggestions because i'm almost certain this thread will help another beginner for sure! :mrgreen:

Post #13 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
I opened this thread shouting the title of my favorite book of all time, namely "Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go" by Kageyama Toshirô, which you can read at any level and gain something from it every time, as well as enjoying it simply for its prose: Kageyama is one of the funniest writers I've come across in recent years. I'm happy to see I'm not alone in my adoration.

Concerning "Invincible", I have mixed feelings. The introduction is a treasure trove of information on historical Japanese go and the castle games in particular. I've read it many times, more for the story then anything else. Studying Shûsaku's games, however, is probably not the best way to go if you're a beginner. I feel kind of bad for pointing out my opinion on this after you've already ordered the book, but this thread exists because you asked, so there you go. But a second book will follow the first (and watch out for the DDK trap of buying every go book out there and not reading them).

My top three would be, in this order:
1) Kageyama, Toshirô: “Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go"
2) Davies, James: “Life and Death”
3) Davies, James: “Tesuji”

Because of the limitless re-readability of these books and the wonderful knowledge you will gain from working through their pages.

Hope this helps
Hushfield

Post #14 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:25 pm 
Beginner

Well, I received Invicible today and i started to read up to the 1st game, and I recreated the game on my Go board, and i can see somethings i wouldn't have imagined. Like the opening, even though it's an old opening, it's still useful to know the positioning. In some situations i would have made bad moves. I still learned something.

It's not the first thread where i see people talking about “Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go", so maybe i'll give it a shot at that one, but i'll check the other books people suggested too.

Thanks again everyone!

Post #15 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Actually if you only had money to buy one and only 1 book ever for studying go, I'd probably suggest that you buy the "Go World Archive" from Kiseido. With over 100 issues of this magazine, you'd have lots of commentaries and instructions that will last you for a long long time of studying.

Post #16 Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 14
I don't know for sure what you mean by 'beginner' (did you just start or do you have a rank?), but '1001 Life and Death Problems' is the book I would recommend to any beginner. The only thing you need to get to about 8k or 7k fast, is Tsumego (life and death problems) and playing games. You could also ask for game reviews in KGS teaching ladder (room on KGS).

Joseki you can look up online, and most other books will be hard to understand (if you are 30k-15k or so)

You can also find Tsumego (life and death problems) online for free, but if you prefer a book, get '1001 Life and Death Problems'.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 31
Was liked: 12
GD Posts: 259
Invincible is cool but very very hard. If you want only to rush through games, use online commented ones, and if you really want to study pro games, well dont because you should staret that at about 5 kyu. Probably even later. River mountain go is good and free, and Kageyamas fundamentals are cool(I have read them about 3 times). So, Id recommend Kageyama. One very strong player said that you wond get a lot out of Shusaku, I think it is usable only at 4 dan level up...

Post #18 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:14 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
You can also find several book suggestions/discussions in this thread: Useful books to become stronger.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:39 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
TimeZero wrote:
Well, I received Invicible today and i started to read up to the 1st game, and I recreated the game on my Go board, and i can see somethings i wouldn't have imagined. Like the opening, even though it's an old opening, it's still useful to know the positioning. In some situations i would have made bad moves. I still learned something.

Good for you! :)

There are people who think that studying pro games is not particularly helpful, at least until you reach a certain level. But there are many paths to the mountain top. :) Honinbo Shusai, the last head of the Honinbo House, said to become a professional player, play over 1,000 pro games. :) (OC, I don't think he meant simply playing through the game records.)

Welcome to go, and

Good luck! :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: xed_over

Post #20 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:45 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Bill Spight wrote:
TimeZero wrote:

Good for you! :)

There are people who think that studying pro games is not particularly helpful, at least until you reach a certain level. But there are many paths to the mountain top. :) Honinbo Shusai, the last head of the Honinbo House, said to become a professional player, play over 1,000 pro games. :) (OC, I don't think he meant simply playing through the game records.)

Welcome to go, and

Good luck! :)

yeah, if you can only buy one book, then any book with a collection of pro games, commented or not, would be my recommendation -- and Invincible is certainly at the top of my list.

you won't be a beginner for long, and this book will continue to be useful for a lifetime of go.