All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gogameguru's book on Gu Li vs Lee Sedol Jubango
Post #1 Posted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:28 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
From viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10901 about Kiseido's book on this match we also talked about the upcoming book from gogameguru:

gogameguru wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:
I still hope Gogameguru can complete their book, although they will have a hard time topping the online commentaries already provided.

We've been doing a lot of work on our book and have added substantial new commentary about the opening of each game, modern opening theory, positional judgement at key points in the game, answering readers' questions from the online versions of commentaries etc. We're definitely still publishing it and I'll post some sample pages to show you what we're doing on our website soon.

We've tried to use each game as a model for teaching important concepts rather than just 'saying what happened'. I'm really excited about the commentary we've been writing about the opening (in particular) and can't wait to show it to you guys. It's taken a lot of back and forth with me mostly asking Younggil, "but why?" and pressing the matter on things which apparently aren't worth mentioning for a pro. However, what we've eventually come up with is (in my opinion) quite fascinating, because it's answered questions about many of the new moves we see in the opening these days; what they mean and why other moves have gone out of fashion (or aren't anymore played for good reasons). I feel like my skill in the opening has increased significantly in the process of making this book and this is content that I haven't seen before in other English language Go books.

From our perspective, this match is the most important Go event that's happened in our lifetimes, so we're trying to create a book that's really special, which people will value and still want to read in a few decades - like Invincible. We want to create something that's worthy of the players and the match itself. Based on feedback from readers at Go Game Guru, I also think this is the kind of book most players want from us for this match. We considered releasing some sort of 'Volume 1' book months ago, but we decided to take care and do things properly. We've been very open that we're working on a book since the match started, but we don't want to rush to be first at the expense of quality.

As I've mentioned before, our book will also be the first ever to be produced using new software which we're developing in house. It lets you create a printed book almost entirely in SGF format and eventually we plan to open source the code and open the facility to make Go books up to everyone. So imagine a webpage you can go to where you upload your SGF files, select a few options and it lays out a book for you in various possible formats - handling typesetting automatically - for download or printing.

In this case I'm definitely biased about the books, but if you were only going to buy one book about this match I'd recommend waiting for ours. It will be ready pretty soon anyway.

In the meantime, the index of all the commentaries, videos, articles about this match and info about our book is here: https://gogameguru.com/tag/mlily-gu-vs-lee-jubango/

Uberdude wrote:
@gogameguru: Will the book have any commentary based on the player's own comments on their thoughts and variations during the game? It would be great to see that particularly variations they considered. E.g. what did Gu Li expect when he played that fateful tenuki of move 130 in game 7. Following on from viewtopic.php?p=173978#p173978, it'd be fascinating if we could catch a glimpse of how deeply they read to see if this "pros read 100 moves deep" is really true.

and

Uberdude wrote:
An extract from move 198 on the recently published commentary on game 8 on GGG.

An Younggil wrote:
When Black cut at Black 197, pushing on the 1st line at White 198 was a brilliant move.
This was the only move to prevent Black from making two eyes in the corner, and this kind of technique is incredibly rare.
It looks like Lee had already found this move when he played at A (White 188), or even earlier when he attached at B (White 174), and that's amazing.

So Lee Sedol reading ahead 24 moves to find a tesuji is amazing and something other pros missed. This supports my belief the "100 moves deep reading is normal" claim is dodgy. Did he read the entire game as it played out all the way to this move 100 moves previously when he captured that lower right group around move 98? I don't believe it. Did he look at aji in that lower right back then? Of course. Was the wedge of 107, described as an incredible and surprising move, also a surprise to Lee Sedol or did he anticipate it? (I guess he did, but if he didn't there's no way you can claim he read out the 198 tesuji as all that sequence depended on the weaknesses created by 107, and of course the rather more normal moves around there later like 129/130).