It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kiseido books - US-based supplier?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:23 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
Interested to know if anybody can recommend a US-based supplier of Kiseido books? I would much prefer not to order internationally.

I'm interested in finding a hardback copy of 'Invincible'.

Post subject: Re: Kiseido books - US-based supplier?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:33 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
FYI, Kiseido's books actually ship from California and shipping is very reasonable in my experience.

If you're ever in NYC, Books Kinokuniya might have a copy.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
In the past yutopian - http://www.yutopian.com - was the American distributor of Kiseido books. You would order from Kiseido, then the books would be sent from Yutopian, so it wasn't really an international order. I don't know for sure whether this is still the case or not, I haven't been in touch with Richard (Kiseido) or Sidney and Katherine (Yutopian) recently.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:42 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 117
Was liked: 31
KGS: Bray
My last order from Kiseido was in May, and I'm pretty sure that one didn't come from Yutopian. I made two orders in 2009 on the same day, one from Kiseido and one from Yutopian. The whole thing arrived in a single box, which is when I figured out that they worked together.

What I've discovered with Kiseido is that they seem to process orders by hand, so after you place it you probably won't hear anything for a couple of days. If you want to speed up the process, make a note on your order that Priority Mail is OK. Otherwise, you'll have to go through a round of emails asking about what kind of mail you're willing to pay for.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:59 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
I just ordered books from Kiseido, they were shipped from Japan for a very reasonable charge ($7 I think).

Post #6 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:11 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
palapiku wrote:
I just ordered books from Kiseido, they were shipped from Japan for a very reasonable charge ($7 I think).

I placed 2 recent orders with them and both were shipped from Japan.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:52 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 117
Was liked: 31
KGS: Bray
Maybe it depends on the titles. I ordered two books from Kiseido on Monday. The package was shipped from California and arrived in Minnesota this morning.

I didn't receive any emails this time. I'm not complaining, just saying to others not to worry if you don't hear from them right away.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:58 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
I've ordered several books from Kiseido this year at different times. All of them have been shipped from Kiseido's distribution (or whatever) office in California, with the exception of the latest Go World. Are you guys SURE they shipped directly from Japan? If they arrived within a few business days and it was less than $10 USD shipping, I doubt it came from Japan.

This is easily cleared up with an email to Kiseido.

To the OP: Long story short, it is hard to find these books from other distributors and, even if you do find them, they will often be more expensive.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:58 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 3
KGS: TominNJ
judicata wrote:
I've ordered several books from Kiseido this year at different times. All of them have been shipped from Kiseido's distribution (or whatever) office in California, with the exception of the latest Go World. Are you guys SURE they shipped directly from Japan? If they arrived within a few business days and it was less than $10 USD shipping, I doubt it came from Japan.

This is easily cleared up with an email to Kiseido.

To the OP: Long story short, it is hard to find these books from other distributors and, even if you do find them, they will often be more expensive.

I am absolutely sure they were airmailed from Japan. Mine took about a week to get here (east coast US). Billing for both orders was in Japanese yen.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:58 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
km1000 wrote:
I'm interested in finding a hardback copy of 'Invincible'.
I ordered the hardback copy of Invincible from Mr. Bozulich and he shipped it from Japan.
(Because every time I tried to email Yutopian, I never got any reply;
whereas every time I emailed Mr. Bozulich about placing an order, I always got a reply from him.)

Post #11 Posted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 1
Thank you for these responses. I will write to Kiseido and ask if it might be possible for them to ship this item from the US.

EdLee wrote:
I ordered the hardback copy of Invincible from Mr. Bozulich and he shipped it from Japan.

Is this the Kiseido representative? If not I'd be grateful if you could share contact details for this supplier with me please.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:44 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 257
Was liked: 287
KGS: wms
km1000 wrote:
Thank you for these responses. I will write to Kiseido and ask if it might be possible for them to ship this item from the US.

EdLee wrote:

Is this the Kiseido representative? If not I'd be grateful if you could share contact details for this supplier with me please.
Richard Bozulich is the head guy at Kiseido. There is a Mrs. Morosawa who is officially the owner/president/some such, but it is Bozulich who handles all the day-to-day activities.