It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Values of moves - books on miai counting with easy examples
Post #1 Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:09 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
daal, there are O's book on absolute counting, my Endgame 2 - Values and there will be my Volume 4 with local problems.

O's book: the examples are easy with step by step calculation but to really learn you better read Japanese. The book teaches move value, count for local gote and local sente, and some kinds of follow-ups but might use other phrases to refer to these terms. The book is small and its second half is advanced (next move and global position to predict the winner). There are a few problems.

Endgame 2 - Values: the examples are easy with step by step calculation but, instead of 6 or 7 years of school as in O's book, presumes 7 or 8 years of school when additionally annotating variables. The book teaches move value, count for local gote and local sente, and every kind of follow-up. The book is of A5 size but also teaches gain and net profit in its first half, and advanced topics in its second half. Hence the amount of basic contents resembles that of O's book.

Both books try hard not to lose their readers' progress of understanding but both do so in a different writing style.

Volume 4: I have not made up my mind yet whether it will be one or two volumes. Two would allow splitting easy from advanced examples; beyond step by step calculations, accompanying explanations could provide even greater assistance. I will decide after writing Volume 3, of which you would find its second half above your head (evaluation of long sequences is more difficult than follow-ups with short sequences). Should you skip Vol. 2 and wait for Vol. 4? I think this mainly depends on your preferred learning style (theory or problems), tolerance of seeing variables and interest in microendgame or area scoring.

Reading all is an option but I hope you can make a better choice now if you prefer to select.