Post #1 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Two things, fast one first:

* Besides Mr. Kapolos' book on Go and "The Go-ing Insurrection" pamphlet, are there other books on Go in the public domain, creative commons or others? And I mean besides those whose copyright has expired. They tend to be harder to read or, at least, use (I suspect that having started Go with Mr. Smith's book says a lot about my struggles).

* The other one: the pamphlet above, I suspect written in 2013-2016 or so, has two points around figure 16 that puzzle me. One is stone :w4: in the diagram. Where did the previous black stone go? A many-space extension below :b2: ? Then there's a... cultural? reference... just to the side.

Quote:
leaning on slumlords or the owners of sleazy restaurants to build capacity

Leaning on the owners of sleazy restaurants "in order" to increase capacity? Wouldn't that increase pressure on workers and the overall sleazyness? If I have a bias that's not allowing me to see something, I could use an explanation.

Thanks, and take care.

Post subject: Re: CopyLeft Go books
Post #2 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 1:11 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
I won't comment on the "cultural" (or rather political) reference but why do you think there is a "previous black stone"? Diagram 16 is a double-approach joseki (White plays 4-4, Black approaches, White tenukis, and Black approaches on the other side).

Post #3 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:17 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
@jlt: In the diagram, both :w3: and :w4: are white moves, so it makes it look like white went twice in a row. So the question is where the intervening black move went.

@Ferran: It's a weird way to show it, but what is probably meant is that black went elsewhere after :w3: (anywhere on the board) and now it shows how white might continue. Though realistically, black should extend the :bc: stone towards the corner and if black fails to do so, white should block there.

Post #4 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:25 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Oh, I didn't notice that :w3: and :w4: were white. Indeed it's weird that Black tenukied after :w3:

Post #5 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:08 am 
Lives in gote

@jlt: the implications are certainly political (the whole thing is), but I think there's a reference there that the same political leaning my side of the pond would have trouble understanding the subtext. There are loads of things from the social / political (in an extremely wide meaning of the terms) don't make much sense here, because the underlying geography and society are completely different. [*]

@HermanHiddema: at 5,3?

Okay, thanks. Whatever the specifics, the example was weirding me. Thank you.

[*] For example, I saw a recent short YT video on a microcredits initiative in the States. As a result of a credit, a kid's grades had jumped severly. His family's quality of life had improved because they'd been able to afford a car, which meant less commuting time. Where I live, car actually increases commute, usually.

Post #6 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:41 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 12
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: Jæja
Ferran wrote:
Besides Mr. Kapolos' book on Go and "The Go-ing Insurrection" pamphlet, are there other books on Go in the public domain, creative commons or others?.
There's a nice list on OGS. One good example is Shape Up!.

Post #7 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:32 am 
Lives in gote

Oh! Shape up! in a single file! Great! Thanks.

I have the Argentine booklet, PoD'd. I still fails using OGS as anything other than a turn based server. [Edit: In fact, I think I recall using SL for a resource index; it tends to be a tad outdated, these days].

Thanks a lot. Take care

Post #8 Posted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:49 am 
Lives in gote

Okay... I think I saw what the writer intended. It's not about the capacity of the sleazy restaurant, but about the capacity of the anarchist to pursue the agenda. To end up a fight reinforced.

I think. Not like I could ask the original writer.

Take care.

Post #9 Posted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Ferran wrote:
[…]
Not like I could ask the original writer.

You could try and ask on the SL page linked in your OP, I suspect it may have been written by the author.