It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GoGoD Encyclopedia - recommendations
Post #1 Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:33 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I've been going through the GoGoD encyclopedia slowly over time. Many of the articles are a bit outdated at this point but there are plenty of gems. Does anyone have any recommendations or what to share their favorite articles? I especially like reading the articles on the players.

I recommend:
-Ishida Yoshio's tribute to Kato Masao (.../TBase/Players/KatoByIshida.htm). A nice story from his long friend. Comes with 2 game commentaries.
-HASHIMOTO UTARO - His first visit to China... (.../TBase/Players/HashimotoInCn.htm). Just an interesting story. But I was already interested in Hashimoto.
--New in Go 21. Genan's Supernova - beginning of the endgame (.../NewInGo/Shukai_1.htm). I enjoyed the history. I didn't study the problems.

Post subject: Re: GoGoD Encyclopedia - recommendations
Post #2 Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:04 pm 
Lives in sente

New In Go 52 CSI Go Board was a neat test.

News In Go 59 Goldilocks and the Three Ladders. This is silly but I like the story. Got wild at the end.

New In Go 72 Fujisawa Hideyuki

Post subject: Re: GoGoD Encyclopedia - recommendations
Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:27 pm 
Lives in sente

I was on my first plane flight in years and I read a bunch more of the encyclopedia. I'll only list my favorites. There's only so much interest I can have about newspapers.

"Go under sentence of death" -- I read this article first and it was more lighthearted than the one below. It tells of how Go was played by prisoners before they were tried with war crimes. Apparently one of them had a board at home that was retrieved upon approval of the Allied commander. This story of how the top Ministers and Officers were Go players reminded me of older Japanese history when monks and generals were avid players of Go. Maybe there is something to Go philosophy applying more broadly. This article mentions how Segoe Kensaku taught the prisoners. Segoe comes up in the next story.

"Go in wartime Japan - and the Atom Bomb game" -- this is a good long article (about a short-flight long). Reading the part about the school kids, including Segoe's sons, returning home from the city hideously injured or half dead really got to me. Maybe this is too relevant today. Other stories in the artcle were less horrific and more thrilling. Like Segoe, Hashimoto, and Go Seigen dodging submarine and Kitani dropping a 4-man machine gun. There's also a lot about Iwamoto in here. I'd put this as my top favorite article for now.