Post subject: Methodical Tsumego Books
Post #1 Posted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:35 am 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 786
Quotation reference: https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=271003#p271003

dfan wrote:
Quote:
It feels weird that so much of my life-and death-thinking, except for capturing races, mostly comes down to "does this move work?".

If you have access to the Go Books platform, you might be interested in the Tsume-Go Strategy books by Thomas Redecker (Cassandra here on L19), which attempt to break down tsumego problems in this sort of scientific way to a degree that I have not seen elsewhere.

Most tsumego problems, regardless whether life+death, with or without capturing races, connection or other, come down to "does this move work?".

"Scientific" is the wrong word; it would apply to formal semantics, logic, proofs etc. We can speak of "methodical" so that these tsumego books qualify: Tsume-Go Strategy 1+2 (Redecker), Tactical Reading, Capturing Races 2, First Life and Death (Jasiek) and maybe at most two more books (other authors) I have yet to read.

Tsume-Go Strategy 1 attempts a methodical analysis but is insufficient, as I notice in the sample for problem 001. It remains unclear whether there are alternative correct moves 1 because not all interesting candidates are studied. If nakade hints shall be useful, some potential nakade is overlooked: one created by capturing the black stone on the first row. Some decision-making relies on incomplete analysis: in reply to the correct move 1, Black 2 extending rightwards is excluded for a wrong reason overlooking the potential of an increased eyespace in case of Black getting two moves at the problem's right end while White connects stone 1. An obvious failure? Maybe, but then the given reason should not rely on the initial eyespace.

This exemplifies the trouble with extensively relying on techniques: it is hard to make an analysis complete or skip all superfluous techniques for a given problem. In my mentioned books, I avoid this trouble because mostly relying on tactical reading and its decision-making eases making each analysis complete for the purpose of establishing and verifying the correct solution (incl. all correct move alternatives).