It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New source for Korean Baduk books
Post #1 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:59 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
I recently tracked down a Korean bookstore in LA that sells Baduk books. The owner is very nice and speaks good English. All books are priced reasonably in USD. I recently ordered from him and was quite pleased with the books I received. They have several hundred Baduk books in stock, but are even willing to order others from Korea upon request. If you cannot understand the Korean site, you can order over the phone. I cannot recommend this store enough! I'll edit the Sensei's page soon to include it.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

This post by nagano was liked by 2 people: Bartleby, rubin427

Post subject: Re: New source for Korean Baduk books
Post #2 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:40 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 49
nagano wrote:
I recently tracked down a Korean bookstore in LA that sells Baduk books. The owner is very nice and speaks good English. All books are priced reasonably in USD. I recently ordered from him and was quite pleased with the books I received. They have several hundred Baduk books in stock, but are even willing to order others from Korea upon request. If you cannot understand the Korean site, you can order over the phone. I cannot recommend this store enough! I'll edit the Sensei's page soon to include it.

Thanks, this is great!

I'll have to make the trip down from Ventura County and check this place out. Ordering Korean books over the Internet has been kind of expensive.

On a somewhat related note, I walked into a random Chinese book store in the Anaheim area a few months ago and found eight volumes from a series of annotated game collections that were marked $4.80 each. The lady at the counter was so happy that someone was buying the books that she gave me a 20% discount. (I got the feeling that the books had been there a while.)

I haven't been able to identify these books because they don't appear to have any ISBN numbers. But they have lots of analysis diagrams and little text so they are actually possible to read without knowing any Chinese. And the analysis is really detailed; for example, in a 190-page book there are only four games, which comes out to close to 50 pages per game.

I guess the moral of the story is that there are still deals to be had out there in brick and mortar shops that you won't find on the Internet.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
Their shipping is very reasonable, and overall costs buying from them are only about half as much as I've seen others charge for the same books.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #4 Posted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:32 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
Very useful. Thank you!