It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What to call Kamakura, 9 Dan Showdown etc...
Post #1 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:46 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 38
They are clearly parts of a series of books, so what to call that book series?
Go Seigens Jubango Games? (I'll use that until corrected)

/Mats

Post subject: Re: What to call Kamakura, 9 Dan Showdown etc...
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:56 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
mohsart wrote:
They are clearly parts of a series of books, so what to call that book series?
Go Seigens Jubango Games? (I'll use that until corrected)

/Mats

I call them the Awesome series. ;)

How about the GoGoD Archive Series? Most of those books started as GoGoD articles and Old Fuseki vs New Fuseki even uses "from the GoGoD archives" as part of the title.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:22 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4634
Quote:
Go Seigens Jubango Games?

If you want to stay in my good books (as it were), don't ever use jubango. Ten-game matches, please (or just matches).

The books mentioned are indeed part of planned match series, but the stuttering book market caused me to slow down.

For the corpus as a whole, "Books from the GoGoD archives" is our own preference. (The phrase was Bill Cobb's.)

Post #4 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:38 pm 
Lives with ko

Thanks for the swift reply, John.
The question if the smaller "Books from the GoGoD archives" are indeed parts of the same series was another one I was meaning to ask.
I could see it both ways, I mean they are all from the GoGoD archives but if a player buys The Retirement Game and expects half a kg of Go Seigen I'll bet he'll be disapointed.

Point taken about jubango, may I ask why?

/Mats

Post #5 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:48 pm 
Oza

Quote:
Thanks for the swift reply, John.
The question if the smaller "Books from the GoGoD archives" are indeed parts of the same series was another one I was meaning to ask.
I could see it both ways, I mean they are all from the GoGoD archives but if a player buys The Retirement Game and expects half a kg of Go Seigen I'll bet he'll be disapointed.

Yes, but he will have paid only a fraction of the price of the big books, and surely booksellers mention how many pages a book has and what format it is?

FWIW I myself class Kamakura/9DS/Final Summit as a Go Seigen match series, and the others (including the one to appear soon) as a Famous Games series. But Bill Cobb did not want to get into labelling them in that way and I didn't kick up a fuss about it.

Quote:
Point taken about jubango, may I ask why?

It's not normally nice to answer a question with a question, but just this once can I say "Could you refer to the actual books - Final Summit page 161 - and the many discussions on the forums? I don't want to repeat it all again.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:06 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 6
GD Posts: 20
I personally like the ring of 'Go Seigen's Goban: The Jubango Kifus' :twisted:

This post by Oroth was liked by: jts

Post #7 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:43 pm 
Lives with ko

John Fairbairn wrote:
surely booksellers mention how many pages a book has and what format it is?

Indeed, at least I do, the example was a bit extreme, if not just plain wrong.
My meaning was more that the "big books" are easier to see as parts of a series; not only by the size but also that they have the common theme of the juba... eheh... of Go Seigens Matches.

John Fairbairn wrote:
FWIW I myself class Kamakura/9DS/Final Summit as a Go Seigen match series, and the others (including the one to appear soon) as a Famous Games series.

I think I'll go with your namings. :-)

John Fairbairn wrote:
Final Summit page 161

Thanks, I see what you mean now. I guess it's like when someone tells me he "won by two moku". Sorry for my ignorance.

/Mats

Post #8 Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:18 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 704
Was liked: 288
KGS: greendemon
Tygem: greendemon
DGS: smaragdaemon
OGS: emeraldemon
Any chance you'll tell us what future books (if any) you have planned for this series? Maybe the Hashimoto Utaro matches? (Maybe something about the Hashimoto-Fujisawa games could be thrown in?)

Post #9 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:29 am 
Oza

Quote:
Any chance you'll tell us what future books (if any) you have planned for this series? Maybe the Hashimoto Utaro matches? (Maybe something about the Hashimoto-Fujisawa games could be thrown in?)

The Hashimoto-Fujisawa match is already available as html on the GoGoD CD. I have no plans to bookify it.

There are currently two books with Slate & Shell awaiting funds to pay for printing: The Insha Game (Shusai-Karigane) and Jowa's Three Brilliancies. These are part of the Famous Games series.

I have a manuscript ready for Gateway To All Marvels (Xuanxuan Qijing) but it is very big and problem books don't sell well, so we have been sitting on this, but after further discussions with Bill Cobb at Santa Barbara, he remains inclined to publish it as a "service to the go community". That was before the end-of-congress sales splurge he was hoping for. I don't know yet if that happened, so this is still up in the air. However, one idea we explored, and I think rather favoured for this book, was to publish a limited subscription edition. This may also be the way forward with other books.

I have done substantial work on two other books in the Go Seigen match series. The Survivors covers the matches with Hashimoto and Iwamoto (the title refers to all surviving the atomic bomb). The other book as yet lacks a title but is on the matches (six and ten games) with Sakata. But I haven't done anything on these for a long while. When the book market stuttered I switched to smaller, i.e. cheaper, books, but as yet I don't know how much difference that has made, although I can say I have slowed even further.

The book market problem is probably mostly to do with the economy, but it is Europe that is mostly affected. iPads and so on probably have had little effect as of now, but may not help the situation in future, and I gather piracy, especially in Russia, is something of a problem (for go books as a whole, not necessarily me).

As I say above, maybe the future for printed books lies in subscriptions. If enough people who really care subscribe, they can get an exclusive, personalised and better produced book (e.g. hardback), which can also be personalised (overtly or covertly) to inhibit piracy.

Judging by e-sales, there is as yet no incentive for authors to switch to e-book format, and in my case (and, I believe, some others) I would not want to do that anyway with the present state of production software. Far too much work required for a niche market.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: ez4u

Post #10 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
Maybe it should be called something like "The Slate and Shell John Fairbairn Commentary Collection"

Post #11 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:22 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
John Fairbairn wrote:
The Hashimoto-Fujisawa match is already available as html on the GoGoD CD.

Of course I found a bunch of other interesting stuff while trying to find this, but...I give up. Where is it?

Post #12 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:55 am 
Oza

Quote:
Of course I found a bunch of other interesting stuff while trying to find this, but...I give up. Where is it?

On the portal page click on Tournaments and Matches. On that page click Matches at the top (or scroll down). Under Individual Matches, click on the icon next to Hashimoto-Fujisawa.

Quote:
Maybe it should be called something like "The Slate and Shell John Fairbairn Commentary Collection"

No. This implies the commentaries are by me. they are ultimately by a multitude of pros, though of course they are not translations. And in any case, Mats later explained he was trying to winnow the books according to size, not give a collective title. For that, Tales of an iGrumpy Old Man might be better.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: daal

Post #13 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:58 am 
Gosei

John Fairbairn wrote:
Tales of an iGrumpy Old Man

"iGrumpy" sounds more iPad than Slate and Shell. lol

Post #14 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:39 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
From what John Fairbairn says problem books don't sell well. From my own observation on this message board much of the discussion concerns solving go problems. This seems like a contradiction of a sort. It seems that people spend a lot of time working on go problems but they don't buy problem books. Is that because problems are easily available on line for free? I do not find free on line problems to be as useful as those in a book because there is rarely any commentary. I own more than two dozen problem books and I still buy them occasionally (e.g. Cho U's books).

Post #15 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:07 am 
Oza

Quote:
It seems that people spend a lot of time working on go problems but they don't buy problem books. Is that because problems are easily available on line for free?

If I am quoting Bill Cobb correctly, there are two main factors - competing internet resources and (maybe most important) the fact that problem books are usually aimed at certain grades. This segments an already small market.

I suspect there are other factors, such as people being more willing to sell off problem books once they been through them, or club libraries offering mostly this kind of book for loan. In some cases, quite a few people will already have the Oriental version of the book. Also, problem books tend to be big on diagrams and small on text. Maybe this creates a feeling of resistance to what have to be relatively high prices in a small market.

Post #16 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:34 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
gowan wrote:
From what John Fairbairn says problem books don't sell well. From my own observation on this message board much of the discussion concerns solving go problems. This seems like a contradiction of a sort. It seems that people spend a lot of time working on go problems but they don't buy problem books. Is that because problems are easily available on line for free? I do not find free on line problems to be as useful as those in a book because there is rarely any commentary. I own more than two dozen problem books and I still buy them occasionally (e.g. Cho U's books).

Personally, I primarily buy problem books. I like books on go theory, but sometimes I get a bit sleepy reading them. I really like problem books, and I think that they are particularly more useful than a site like goproblems.com where you can just click through solutions.

I could see some people not buying problem books because of problem availability online. Admittedly, I sometimes read problems online. But when I'm buying go books, I typically aim for problem books. They're a lot of fun.

In fact, the last go book I bought was purchased last week, and it was the igo hatsuyoron.

In retrospect, I think the problems from that book are too difficult for me right now, but I still feel good about buying to book.

I like go problems that I can solve in around 2 minutes.

Post #17 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:41 am 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
In fact, the last go book I bought was purchased last week, and it was the igo hatsuyoron.

In retrospect, I think the problems from that book are too difficult for me right now, but I still feel good about buying to book.

I like go problems that I can solve in around 2 minutes.

I doubt the last go book you bought will give you go problems you can solve in 2 minutes any time soon.

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Kirby

Post #18 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:55 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
tchan001 wrote:
I doubt the last go book you bought will give you go problems you can solve in 2 minutes any time soon.

Hehe, yes probably. I think I will probably use that book for go problems that I look at once in awhile, when I have some free time.

Post #19 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:21 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
Kirby wrote:
tchan001 wrote:

Hehe, yes probably. I think I will probably use that book for go problems that I look at once in awhile, when I have some free time.

I'd use it for trolling sdks that have never heard of it. Just show up at go club, and put one of them on the board for a naive 6k and tell them that they can solve it.

Post #20 Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
The day you can solve most of the Igo-hatsuyoron problem in less than 2min, you have probably a pro reading skill

Xuanxuan Qijing/Gokyo Shumyo is far more reasonnable and is probably good for low dan