All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tournament Go 1992
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:01 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
Does anyone have this book? I'm a big fan of books with game commentaries, and I'm wondering if the games and commentaries are worthwhile.

Post subject: Re: Tournament Go 1992
Post #2 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:06 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I do. It's basically a big book of Go World-type commentaries on the big Japanese title matches of 1992. If you like the commentaries in Go World, you'll like this. (Though getting the Go World Archive is probably more bang for the buck if you're OK with the digital format.)

Post #3 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:50 am 
Lives in sente

dfan wrote:
I do. It's basically a big book of Go World-type commentaries on the big Japanese title matches of 1992. If you like the commentaries in Go World, you'll like this. (Though getting the Go World Archive is probably more bang for the buck if you're OK with the digital format.)

Yes, I have the Go World archive. Are the commentaries the same length? Are they well-written? Many Go World commentaries are a bit vague to me.

How big is it? Like Go World or Invincible?

Post #4 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:00 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
TG92 contains the game commentaries that were destined for GW but which not appear because GW was going through a hiatus at the time. The format, except for a thicker product, style and editor are exactly the same. It corresponds to about three or four GWs.

Post #5 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:04 am 
Lives in sente

John Fairbairn wrote:
TG92 contains the game commentaries that were destined for GW but which not appear because GW was going through a hiatus at the time. The format, except for a thicker product, style and editor are exactly the same. It corresponds to about three or four GWs.

Ah, I see, thanks.

Post #6 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
kirkmc wrote:
I have the Go World archive. Are the commentaries the same length? Are they well-written? Many Go World commentaries are a bit vague to me.

They are basically identical in length and character.

Quote:
How big is it? Like Go World or Invincible?

It is 266 pages and has about 50 games.

Post #7 Posted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:39 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
It is a bit different from just three or four Go World issues because it contains only commented games, no news articles or instructional articles.

Post #8 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:18 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
Hi,

i have this book and the games are commented very good and extensive.
Imo the commentary is more detailed than in Goworlds but... the openings are from 1992. I would prefer sthg. with a newer date for this 1 reason.

greetings

Post #9 Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:50 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
I studied this book too, and it made me kind of a Kobayashi Koichi fan (it has six of his title games). Somehow, I get a certain solid, honte, feel to all of his moves - even though a lot of the games end up in complicated fights with brilliant tesujis. My favourite match is the first one (Meijin?) between Kobayashi K. and Yamashiro Hiroshi. Also it has the Judan match in which a sixty-something year old Fujisawa Shuko defeated Kobayashi Koichi. Quite some interesting games there too.

The commentary is the same high standard of Go World, though some commentaries are significantly longer than the new Go Worlds. Also there are some early Lee Changho games in here, which are quite interesting. In short: recommended book!

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #10 Posted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
Yes, as others have said. The game commentaries are even longer, and thus more detailed, than regular GW issues. The forward in the book talks about this fact and the reasons behind it.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:31 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 8
GD Posts: 172
As others have said, TG1992 is a good book. The only thing I dislike about it is the binding, which is really flimsy. The paperback version of Invincible is about 10x sturdier. If you like to hold the book in one hand while you play moves on the goban, like I do, this can be a problem.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:21 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 5
Rather then start a new thread it seemed more economical to post my question here. I am a ddk looking to for a nice collection of commented games. All of the comments I've read (here and elsewhere) regarding "Tournament Go 1992" have been positive, excluding Tengen's comments on the books binding. I'd like something that has a decent amount of games (40+). Something that wont get spent in a fortnight. TG 1992 and "Invincible" seem to be the only books with extensive game commentaries that also have a number of games, available in English. From what I've read the level of comments in Invisible is quite high, are the comments in TG 1992 a little more accessible to the kyu player?

I know when it comes to books ddk's are better served (at least improving understanding of the Go wise) focusing on tsumego and theory. But as Picasso said "Art washes away from the soul the dust of every day life." As an inexperienced player I already have a strong feeling for go as art! Also have downloaded likely over a hundred commented games from the interwebs but the comments are usually pretty sparse, almost all by amateur dan players and playing over several game records on a laptop can be rough on the eyeballs :shock: Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions :)

Where've you been? Zatoichi could slice the board in half, put it back together again and rearrange the position so fast that no-one even knew he'd drawn his sword - and he was blind. ~ John Fairbairn

Post #13 Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:55 am 
Lives in sente

I'd recommend the books in Yuan Zhou's Master Play series from Slate & Shell. The comments are much more directed toward weaker players than the Go World type reviews in this book. Most of them are probably above DDK level, but I think reading game comments is very useful. They're small books, with a couple of games each, and a fair number of comments.

Post #14 Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:02 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
You can also look at the Go World Archive from Kiseido Digital. It will have many more games and articles.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:44 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 42
Was liked: 5
Thanks for the suggestions! Suppose it was just wishful thinking. I can see that it really doesn't make a heap of sense for publishers to do much in the way of commented game collections aimed at the novice/intermediate player (at least go book publishers, publishers of chess title's might be a different story).

kirkmc wrote:
I'd recommend the books in Yuan Zhou's Master Play series from Slate & Shell. The comments are much more directed toward weaker players than the Go World type reviews in this book. Most of them are probably above DDK level, but I think reading game comments is very useful. They're small books, with a couple of games each, and a fair number of comments.

I'd read somewhere that the comments or maybe it was the games themselves in Master Play series where fairly difficult to follow (go figure :lol: ). Anyway its nice to get some perspective on the relative difficulty level between TG 1992 and MP series. MP series does sound like a great little collection of books. Speaking of little ( :roll: ) I'll confess that buying such books would take a bit of convincing. Being relatively new to the go scene, the price and size of English go books is taking some getting used to. But considering we really don't have to go that far back in time to when there where no English go books (maybe just a couple) I can understand the prevailing sentiment that good go books should be rewarded by giving them a home. Maybe I can borrow a copy of one of the volumes and if it feels useful go grab the rest of the series.

oren wrote:
You can also look at the Go World Archive from Kiseido Digital. It will have many more games and articles.

Yup, even though I much prefer print books/periodicals I'll probably end up getting these eventually. As an old tennis partner used to say "too much good stuff!" I decided to start at issue number 7 of the British Go Journal (discovered online recently) and work my way back to the future. Even more recently I stumbled across RANKA online which has their yearbooks 1985-1997 available for viewing/downloading. Wow, great stuff in these! Saw a photograph of Fernando Aguilar in one of the earlier issues that blew me away (had only seen the most recent ones of Fernando, quite a photogenic fellow). So these will keep me busy for the foreseeable future. And hopefully prepare me for Tournament Go 1992!

Where've you been? Zatoichi could slice the board in half, put it back together again and rearrange the position so fast that no-one even knew he'd drawn his sword - and he was blind. ~ John Fairbairn