It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getting the most of tesuji and anti-suji of Go?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:42 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I bought this as my first book in SmartGo Books (which so far is far more enjoyable to read than any paper book). So far I've found it very interesting, but I'm not very sure about what to do with it. I've been "reading" it, i.e. skipping pages and looking through the diagrams. In some of them, I've actually checked other answers (in some I have some doubts even...), but I'm not sure how to get the most of it. Too unstructured, although Sakata's writing style is pretty nice and makes up for it... Also the huge amount of information stored in this book... Which I want to get into my head :)

Post subject: Re: Getting the most of tesuji and anti-suji of Go?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:21 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
It's odd that you think of it as unstructured. It seems to me to be one of the most structured of the tesuji books. Model diagram I, how you get to model diagram I, tesuji that arises in model diagram I, variant lines for resisting the tesuji; rinse and repeat with model diagram II, and possibly III. And then in the book as a whole every pair or triplet of tesuji that are presented consecutively arise from slight changes to the model diagram.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 65
KGS: Numsgil
I just read it cover to cover, spending maybe 30 seconds on each problem. By the end of the book it's pretty easy to guess which one is correct: it's the opposite of the one you'd play in a game :P There's some clever moves in the problems and it's better to get exposure to them if you've never seen them before than trying to work them out from first principles as part of the problem.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:42 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 93
Was liked: 105
GD Posts: 600
I like that the book shows how such situations may arise, e.g. from joseki. You learn to be alert in such situations and to see immediately the tesuji potentials. It closes a gap that isn't dealt with in other tesuji books.