It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go references in novels, fiction, literature, etc.
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:51 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 10
Back when rec.games.go was the main forum for kinds of discussions now found here, there were a small community of us who were into finding and collecting novels and short stories with scenes of the game. I was by far the most avid on the hunt, and every so often people would ask me to repost my lists of all such references. I tried a few times, and I often participated in discussions of particular authors or books or genres, but I never really got around to a complete list.

Now I have finally sorta done it. I've been listing all the fiction with go references that I can find on a website called www.goodreads.com. At the moment it has 195 items. So far I have pretty much only entered items in English, but I intend to add editions in other western languages as well. Admittedly, since the site records books rather than series, the list is bulked up a bit by the 23 listings for individual volumes of Hikaru. A lot of the items so far only have brief cites of the go references but I will gradually add various reviews and extended references from my old rgg posts and other sources.

The website allows users to collect their items in lists known as "shelves". My list of go fiction and the like is under my real name, Brian R. McDonald, and a list called books-with-go-references. I hope this provides some good info to anyone interested in go scenes in novels and whatnot. Also, if anyone finds any references I've missed, there is a comment function on the site, although I suspect that one would have to register to use it.

chiwito

This post by chiwito was liked by 2 people: fwiffo, Phelan

Post subject: Re: Go references in novels, fiction, literature, etc.
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:41 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I think it would be nice just to keep this up to date well rather than a new site.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?Literature

Post subject: Re: Go references in novels, fiction, literature, etc.
Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:12 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 10
oren wrote:
I think it would be nice just to keep this up to date well rather than a new site.

http://senseis.xmp.net/?Literature

The list in sensei's library is quite good. I hadn't checked it in about three years until last week, and there are a lot more items listed there than there used to be. In fact I found at least a dozen books about which I hadn't heard previously; mostly brief mentions, but Popco looks like a good addition to the canon of go fiction. Naturally I've ordered it and a few of the other online. The rest I plan to pick up by and by.

As it happens, there is one other way for people to peruse the extent of go-related fiction in English [and a smattering in other western languages]. It is only accessable to those who will be in the San Francisco Bay Area in September, however. Every year the Alameda Museum and the Alameda Architectural Preservation Society co-sponsor a tour of older homes in that city. This year my home will be on the tour, including the library upstairs with the definitive collection of go literature, as well as a pretty substantial collection of "regular" go books, including a lot of scarce early items.

chiwito

This post by chiwito was liked by: ReInventive