Post subject: Re: Pocket-sized tsumego books
Post #21 Posted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
fwiffo wrote:
In order to cram more tsumego-solving into my schedule, I'd like to have some on hand all the time for whenever I have a free minute. Any good pocket-sized tsumego books out there for purchase in the US?

I don't know if they're available in the US, but I thought Thomas Redecker's flash cards were excellent. These are roughly the same size as normal playing cards, so should fit a pocket easily.

There are 9 sets available, for different playing levels and with different themes. Each set has 4 decks of cards, with 60 cards per deck. Each card has two problems on the front (and two solution diagrams on the back).

In Germany, they cost 7 euro ($10) per deck, 24 euro ($35) for a set of four decks:

http://www.hebsacker-verlag.de/advanced ... er&x=0&y=0

Post #22 Posted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:00 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 1
KGS: tenuji
ethanb wrote:
Tengen wrote:
You might try Maeda Nobuaki's "Life and Death: Intermediate Level Problems". It's a pocket sized yellow book that only costs $8 at Slate and Shell

http://www.slateandshell.com/SSGR005.html

I haven't looked at my copy in a while, but I went through it a few times and liked it.

That book is 100% awesome for quick study, and perfect for SDK level. Glad somebody else mentioned it first, I mentioned it in another thread recently and I'd be afraid of sounding like an advertisement. ;-)

How does Maeda's book compare with GGPFB vol 4, easier more difficult or about the same?

I remember I hold a Joseki dictionary and memorize the contents, I could repeat every variations from memory and self-satisfaction for it. After I improved some years later, I know it was a detour, wasted many years. ~ igo@Indonesia

Post #23 Posted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 43
IGS: ethanb
tenuji wrote:
ethanb wrote:
Tengen wrote:
You might try Maeda Nobuaki's "Life and Death: Intermediate Level Problems". It's a pocket sized yellow book that only costs $8 at Slate and Shell

http://www.slateandshell.com/SSGR005.html

I haven't looked at my copy in a while, but I went through it a few times and liked it.

That book is 100% awesome for quick study, and perfect for SDK level. Glad somebody else mentioned it first, I mentioned it in another thread recently and I'd be afraid of sounding like an advertisement. ;-)

How does Maeda's book compare with GGPFB vol 4, easier more difficult or about the same?

Not sure, I haven't gone through GGPfB yet. The problems are excellent for low-dan review problems, I'll say that (I still carry it around in my pocket and do one or two problems when I'm queued somewhere or something.) I found them perfect for study as a 10k moving rapidly toward shodan. The difficulties are on a rotating basis, so problem 1 is about 9k grade, problem 2 is about 7k grade... problem 10 is about 1 dan grade, then problem 11 is about 9k grade and problem 12 is about 8k grade. It rotates like that through the whole book.

Post #24 Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
HermanHiddema wrote:
...flash cards ... should fit a pocket easily.

That's a great idea, I'm going to do that right now!

The box of cards show in the picture above is strictly volume 1.

At approximately 900-1,000 problems per volume, and with four volumes in the series, I should get a lot of mileage out of these books.

The amount of problems I'm solving per day has increased a lot simply by having these cards on-hand. They fit in my shirt pocket.

I am very happy that the puzzles are conveniently printed about playing-card sized. Thanks for sparking this idea HH.