Post subject: Re: Go & iPad... Actorios' review
Post #41 Posted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
Actorios wrote:
Smartgo Kifu :black: :black: :black: :black: :black:

[snip]

How could it be improved? It is wonderful but there is still room for improvement: I wish you could create set-up in a similar way as Drago does (place stones by color to create sitution without alternating colors)), I wish you could add problems, I wish you could manage directories of your file to ease cluster and review. I wish you could set a timer for face to face games. I hope some of those wishes come true as the software develops.

I'm sure at least one of your wishes will come true soon. ;-)

Post #42 Posted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Smartgo Kifu :black: :black: :black: :black: :black:
Every update of this app is just amazing - the book-like diagrams are just great when you are looking at commented games, this is the feature which is updated all the time, and it's just being better and better. Because of this I have almost forgotten about my desktop and all my go activity is through iPad now.
You can zoom in /out diagrams, there are clear and visible options on how scroll through a game in diagrams and there are a lot of other goodies. Essential app.

TengenGo :black: :black: :black: :white: :white:
Good but still has a bugs - new update come out some time ago but there are still following bugs:
1) Diacritic signs/characters form non english language are crashing the app (try use this : ąęółćń)
2) Sometimes stones are not removed correctly while observing games.
3) Chat outside of game - great but need to be some kind of list of messages, if you touch the screen outside chat box it will disappear and you just can't simply go back to chat with the same person
4) Still the game requests are so annoying - they just block all other functions of this app. You can do game request only or something else, but not both thing at the same time, this process should be backgrounded.
5) buggy & strange behavior of app if 'observe' command is used via terminal. This is very nice that 'Terminal" is available but here is example of issues :
1. You are listed as a player in the observed game. You can try to pass, to resign or even undo , but you can't leave observed game.
2. Stones are not displayed correctly - only the most current are visible since you observe this particular game.
3. If you try to enter 'observe' command for more than one game then you will get strange mix of these games. If you change orientation you will get game information from the other game.
4. If you have any adjourned game then after "observe" command you will get a mix of these two games: yours and the one you wanted to observe. Stones are taken form your adjourned game and the new moves will show on the board as they are played on the observed game.
5. If there is some special tournament these games are not vissible on the main room and you can't observe such games in a normal way. But if you know the number of this game you can open it via terminal. But - again - all issues listed above are still there.
And the biggest issue - developer of this app doesn't like to answer e-mails with list of bugs...

Tetsuki for iPad :black: :black: :black: :black: :black: - still is beta and WIP but it's a great app, with no problems like these listed above. For iPad version look at the fanpage on facebook - you need to provide your IMEI to the developer of this app to install beta version.
1) Diacritic signs/characters - work great, and don't crash app
2) no problem with removing of stones in observed games
3) game requests are backgrounded,
It's the best looking IGS client on mobiles/tablets and has best functionality of all other apps. Developer of Tetsuki is an open person and he is always available through e-mail, facebook etc. He listens to user's complaints and still improving this app.
The only one minus is that you can't open special games in tetsuki, but I think it will be implemented in the final release.

Last edited by lobotommy on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by lobotommy was liked by: Actorios

Post #43 Posted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:29 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
Thanks for the info, tommyray !
I'm looking forward to the release of Tetsuki for iPad.

I must say that since Smartgo Kifu includes tools to add stones / symbols / letters, I've come to use the iPad as a reading tool. Those days, I'm re-reading Attack & Defense and I try to reproduce all diagrams on the iPad to check variations and make sure to understand the diagram. It takes time but it's working great.

Post #44 Posted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:48 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I would offer that the iPad is a great device for my purposes. While is it not the ideal solution, it does offer much in terms of the game. I have heard rumors that they are coming out with a seven inch model in the future. I wonder how this might change the way that you guys view its use.

Post #45 Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:50 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: tommyray (1d/2d)
Just FYI - there is Oro Baduk client on iPhone. But it's Korean only at this moment :( ...

Post #46 Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:16 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 28
Was liked: 8
KGS: Actorios
Universal go server handle: Actorios
An update on my use of iPad for go study + some points for discussion

Top ten applications used:
* Smartgo Kifu (practice)
* Dropbox (upload my games to Smartgokifu)
* Goodreader (read / comment go books)
* TouchBB (access the life in 19x19 forum)
* Twiterrific (keep in touch on latest news)
* MaxJournal (write down notes following my go sessions)
* Weboffline (record some go-related webpages for offline reading)
* Mover+ (to share SGF via bluetooth)
* My library (to keep a list of my go books with comments)

Note that I'm not listing any Tygem or Tengen Go. I've been using them quite a lot but I feel like playing long games is not great on the iPad and playing short games is not good practice for me. I would like to play less on those applications to focus on KGS.
I like Boardz but with an ongoing offline, my mind is always going back to the game and the stress of a game which usually last for 1h30 online or face to face tends to linger. It's not very good for my nerves.

The main way I'm using the iPad today is to assist me in go books reading.
Since early jan, I've been reading Attack & Defense together with the iPad: repeating all diagrams as I was going through the book.
I feel it has 2 benefits:
1. First of all, you can explore variations on the go and better visualize the starting positions and follow-up from a diagram. It's pretty much the same as using a goban but you can carry it with you easily and you can come back quickly to a position you've seen (provided you did record it).
2. It forces you to slow your reading and make sure you take time to carefully understand every single section. While doing this, i noticed "golden nuggets" commentaries hidden inside small variations.
The downside is that it's quite slow to go through the whole book but I suppose there is no shortcuts here.

I've been using the iPad to solve problems but I must say I prefer plain books because you're too tempted to click where you feel instead of reading the diagram out and being pretty sure that you played it correctly. Therefore, I feel that my reading benefits more from books where flipping the page is something I can more easily refrain from doing than tapping on an intersection. I'm sure it's not the same for everyone.

Finally, accessing pro games and reviewing my own games is great. Pro games are easy to find and the feature to evaluate your accuracy in memorizing them is excellent. I usually copy paste a pro game I like into my own library to comment it and play variations.
As far as reviewing my own games and going back to past commented games of mind, the application is great. The only weakness is that it's getting difficult to navigate through variations when they are numerous : just because you can't see the variation tree as in KGS or Drago. I wish this feature was added to the application (which is still the best buy for a go player anyway). Another addition, I'd like to see is the capability to add / build problems.

Finally, something I'm thinking about is to use the iPad to build Flashcards to memorize certain situations. I'm not quite sure which application to use nor how to build them. I wish I could hear some testimony from other iPad users or other people trying out flashcards. I've been searching over the web but couldn't see any detailed comment of such use (nothing on Smartgo for example, beside the evocation of "flashcards").