It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: DeepMind reveals latest AlphaGo's shocking strength graph
Post #1 Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:41 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10

From Future of Go Summit AI conference today
Source https://twitter.com/webigojp/status/867228171174903808
Video https://www.facebook.com/GOking2007/vid ... 096921048/

Comment from Seigenblues in Reddit

AG Master used 10x less compute, trained in weeks vs months. Single machine. (Not 5? Not sure). Main idea behind AlphaGo Master: only use the best data. Best data is all AG's data, i.e. only trained on AG games.
Using training data (self play) to train new policy network. They train the policy network to produce the same result as the whole system. Ditto for revising the value network. Repeat. Iterated "many times".
Results: AG Lee beat AG Fan at 3 stones. AG Master beat AG Lee at three stones! Chart stops there, no hint at how much stronger AG Ke is or if it's the same as AG Master
Strong caveat here from the researchers: bot vs bot handicap margins aren't predictive of human strength, especially given it's tendency to take it's foot off the gas when it's ahead

This post by pookpooi was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: DeepMind reveals latest AlphaGo's shocking strength grap
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:46 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
So apparently the Elo rating of the latest version is over 4,500.

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:52 pm 
Lives in sente

xiayun wrote:
So apparently the Elo rating of the latest version is over 4,500.

They put AlphaGo Lee (nice name) at 3700 Elo, Master at 4800 Elo (judging from my eyes)
So 1100/3 stones = 366 elo per stone. May make sense at high level as each handicap stone require more and more Elo to give than at lower level. At 2 dan and more KGS use 230 Elo though, so if they use KGS standard it'll be around 4400 Elo.

Post #4 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 38
This is absurd. First they claim AG can't play handicap games then they say it's 3 stones above AG Lee. Why didn't they do a handicap match with Ke Jie then?
For example since Ke lost a game the next game AG should give him 2 stones.

Post #5 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:09 am 
Lives in sente

Krama wrote:
This is absurd. First they claim AG can't play handicap games then they say it's 3 stones above AG Lee. Why didn't they do a handicap match with Ke Jie then?

I haven't seen DeepMind claim AlphaGo can't play handicap games. In fact, they always did, and this time even more impressive as David Silver say it's no komi handicap game (in Nature Paper it has to retain komi of 7.5 so it give 4 stones but receive 7.5 point as komi, thus making it 3 handicap stones game instead). I think the problem is on the human pro side instead.
This is why I suggest Jubango idea to DeepMind, the next stage is Japan (more press freedom than China for sure), the human representative is Iyama Yuta. The format is ten games but each game if one side lose it has to receive handicap stone the next game.

This post by pookpooi was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:18 am 
Lives in sente

USGO write a nice article on this

http://www.usgo.org/news/2017/05/new-ve ... efficient/

This post by pookpooi was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, swannod, wolfking

Post #7 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:37 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Thanks for the link, pookpooi. From the article:
usgo article wrote:
The version of AlphaGo that defeated Ke Jie 9p in the first round of the three game challenge match yesterday was trained entirely on the self-play games of previous versions of AlphaGo, a Google DeepMind engineer told an audience in China.

Based on the assumption that Master is truly 3-stones stronger than last year's version of AlphaGo, there are at least two potential explanations for AlphaGo's jump in strength:
  1. AlphaGo's continued training and self-play.
  2. The changed methodology of feeding the policy network with self-play games.

The argument for #1 is understandable; after all, there was about a 3-stone jump in strength between AlphaGo Fan and AlphaGo Lee, apparently due primarily to the continued self-play. Why not expect similar results by continuing the same method of self-play?

But #2 has more potential to be inspiring. Namely, it suggests that feeding one's policy network with higher quality input can result in significant gains in strength. If this were true, what does it mean for human player improvement? I suppose it would imply the, perhaps obvious, idea that considering better moves results in better play. Practically speaking, maybe that means it'd be better to spend less time kibitzing amateur games, and more time absorbing top pro games - or AlphaGo games, perhaps. Having this exposure seems analogous to feeding our policy networks with better input data.

All of this being said, there's no reason for me to believe that #2, above, had a more significant impact on AlphaGo Master's strength compared to simply doing more self-play games. #2 probably helped, but #1 alone was enough for AlphaGo Lee to jump 3 stones from AlphaGo Fan...

Nonetheless, it's something to think about.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #8 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:02 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
pookpooi wrote:
Krama wrote:

I haven't seen DeepMind claim AlphaGo can't play handicap games. In fact, they always did, and this time even more impressive as David Silver say it's no komi handicap game (in Nature Paper it has to retain komi of 7.5 so it give 4 stones but receive 7.5 point as komi, thus making it 3 handicap stones game instead). I think the problem is on the human pro side instead.
This is why I suggest Jubango idea to DeepMind, the next stage is Japan (more press freedom than China for sure), the human representative is Iyama Yuta. The format is ten games but each game if one side lose it has to receive handicap stone the next game.

Playing in Japan would be the next logical move. Although AlphaGo's hardware might require radiation shielding, as do Google's representatives.

Post #9 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 43
delete constant, insert variable, turn on, qed.
as for radiation shielding, its not those that radiate bulldust that need shielding, it's the poor saps that soak it up and genuflect, genuflect.

Post #10 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
djhbrown wrote:
delete constant, insert variable, turn on, qed.
as for radiation shielding, its not those that radiate bulldust that need shielding, it's the poor saps that soak it up and genuflect, genuflect.

LOL!

AlphaGo will do to Iyama what the atomic bombs did to... But seriously, the Japanese have been lying through their teeth about the true radiation levels from Fukushima. I'd seriously worry about Google team's health if they decided to host their next event in Japan.

This post by ewan1971 was liked by: sybob

Post #11 Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:55 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 43
David looks so much like Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man, it feels like someone will ask him "Is it safe?"

This post by djhbrown was liked by: Waylon

Post #12 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
ewan1971 wrote:
LOL!

AlphaGo will do to Iyama what the atomic bombs did to... But seriously, the Japanese have been lying through their teeth about the true radiation levels from Fukushima. I'd seriously worry about Google team's health if they decided to host their next event in Japan.

djhbrown wrote:
David looks so much like Dustin Hoffman in Marathon Man, it feels like someone will ask him "Is it safe?"

This sort of politics is against forum rules ewan1971. You have already been warned prior for violating forum rules, so this will be a suspension. djhbrown, the same goes for you. I should also note that you have received numerous reports for your negative and off-putting posts, and I have even received PMs requesting information on how to ignore your posts. As a result, your account will be suspended as well.

This post by Solomon was liked by 5 people: betterlife, Charlie, fwiffo, HermanHiddema, thirdfogie

Post #13 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Solomon wrote:
This sort of politics is against forum rules...

Just thought it appropriate to point out that user pookpooi too has a fondness for injecting irrelevant political remarks into his posts. Specifically, I've noticed that he has a habit of making snide remarks toward China and Chinese poltics. This latest eruption from ewan1971 seems to have been a reaction to an earlier post from pookpooi.

Here's a sample of pookpoi's posts I could find off-hand that are completely unnecessary and against forum rules prohibiting political discussions outside the off-topic forum.
pookpooi wrote:
A little bit update, DeepMind team will stay in China for 3 weeks, they'll go back to London in June. And yes, they're very exciting on working under 'The Great Firewall' for the first time...

pookpooi wrote:
This is why I suggest Jubango idea to DeepMind, the next stage is Japan (more press freedom than China for sure), the human representative is Iyama Yuta...

I'd like to appeal to pookpooi to cease injecting politics into his remarks. This forum is not a place to express personal prejudice or grandstand; it's a place to discuss Go.

Thank you.

Last edited by TheCannyOnion on Thu May 25, 2017 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by TheCannyOnion was liked by: wolfking

Post #14 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:42 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
TheCannyOnion wrote:
Just thought it appropriate to point out that user pookpooi too has a rather nasty tendency of injecting irrelevant political remarks into his posts.

I've not noticed that. There was quite some discussion on reddit, but less here, about how China blocked live broadcast of the match within China just a few days before the event, probably because they don't like Google. And before he went Aja said his wife would be posting updates for him on facebook as it's blocked there.

Post #15 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:04 am 
Dies with sente

Uberdude wrote:
TheCannyOnion wrote:
Just thought it appropriate to point out that user pookpooi too has a rather nasty tendency of injecting irrelevant political remarks into his posts.

I've not noticed that. There was quite some discussion on reddit, but less here, about how China blocked live broadcast of the match within China just a few days before the event, probably because they don't like Google. And before he went Aja said his wife would be posting updates for him on facebook as it's blocked there.

Google is not the press, and it's not a beacon of freedom either. It's a internet giant working closely with the NSA, DHS, CIA, FBI and other spy agencies. Ooops, see what I did there?

I simply asked that pookpooi stop his blatant tendency of injecting political commentary into his posts. Besides, if we take pookpooi's suggestion that AlphaGo next play in Japan, then are we not condoning Japan's unequal treatment of women in workplaces, its continued commercial slaughtering of whales, and its inability to apologize for Pearl Harbor and committing mass atrocities in World War II? Ooops, see what I just did again?

Or can we please all stop injecting politics into discussions on Go?

Post #16 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:23 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 7
In the post-game press conference after today's match the topic of AlphaGo Master giving three stones to AlphaGo Lee was again brought up. Ke Jie said he was impressed and it contributed to his feeling that it may be impossible for him to defeat AlphaGo, if I understood him correctly. On the other hand, David Silva made it a point to emphasize that AlphaGo's handicaps when playing against itself do not necessarily translate into handicaps against humans. For example, AlphaGo might have learned to exploit weaknesses in older versions of itself which humans may not have. Still, a significant increase in strength seems likely.

TheCannyOnion wrote:
Solomon wrote:
This sort of politics is against forum rules...

Just thought it appropriate to point out that user pookpooi too has a rather nasty tendency of injecting irrelevant political remarks into his posts. Specifically, I've noticed that pookpoi has a habit of making snide remarks toward China/Chinese/Chinese poltics and things of Chinese origin. This latest eruption from ewan1971 seems to have been a reaction to an earlier post from pookpooi.

Here's a sample of pookpoi's posts I could find off-hand that are completely unnecessary and against forum rules prohibiting political discussions outside the off-topic forum.
pookpooi wrote:
A little bit update, DeepMind team will stay in China for 3 weeks, they'll go back to London in June. And yes, they're very exciting on working under 'The Great Firewall' for the first time...

pookpooi wrote:
This is why I suggest Jubango idea to DeepMind, the next stage is Japan (more press freedom than China for sure), the human representative is Iyama Yuta...

I'd like to appeal to pookpooi to cease injecting politics into his remarks. This forum is not a place to express personal prejudice or grandstand; it's a place to discuss Go.

Thank you.

I agree the latter half of the first quote is unnecessary, though at least unlike the posts that were infracted pookpooi's post isn't entirely off-topic since the first half contains relevant news.

But as for the second quote, it's hard to escape the fact that press censorship has had a direct negative impact on the Future of Go summit. We've had live broadcasts and expert commentary cancelled. Papers such as The Guardian, CNN, and Wired have reported on it, and it earned a mention in the NYT's article as well.

That by itself would be reason enough to avoid the current venue in the future, even if DeepMind weren't in the habit of rotating matches among countries. It's not prejudicial to admit that. (I am ethnic Chinese myself.)

TheCannyOnion wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
TheCannyOnion wrote:

Google is not the press, and it's not a beacon of freedom either. It's a internet giant working closely with the NSA, DHS, CIA, FBI and other spy agencies. Ooops, see what I did there?

I simply asked that pookpooi stop his blatant tendency of injecting political commentary into his posts. Besides, if we take pookpooi's suggestion that AlphaGo next play in Japan, then are we not condoning Japan's unequal treatment of women in workplaces, its continued commercial slaughtering of whales, and its inability to apologize for Pearl Harbor and committing mass atrocities in World War II? Ooops, see what I just did again?

Or can please all stop injecting politics into discussions on Go?

This is getting out of hand. If you really feel any of pookpooi's posts violate board rules you should simply report them. Airing personal grievances in public and dragging threads off-topic are themselves violations of the rules.

Personally, I am grateful to pookpooi for their contributions to the board and for bringing Go news.

Last edited by mistakenot on Thu May 25, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by mistakenot was liked by 4 people: daal, Uberdude, Waylon, wolfking

Post #17 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:26 am 
Lives in sente

Regarding firewall sentence
I rewrote from source of information
Mike Johnson, system admin at DeepKnd tweet
"AlphaGo does China: I'm in Wuzhen, China for three weeks. Back in June. Contact via WhatsApp. I'll be behind the firewall!"
https://twitter.com/mike_johnson/status ... 3808009216

Regarding mentioning that Japan has press freedom index score than China, because many news (such as https://www.wired.com/2017/05/google-un ... -watching/ or http://mashable.com/2017/05/25/china-ce ... EVieuyqqq3 and many more from comment above me) report that it actually intervene spreading go awareness so I simply suggest the next destination that has strong professional organization with less authority restrictions.

But of course, the decision on whether how much I violate the term of service is on admins of this board. And I fully respect their decision. If things not going well you can always find me posting on Reddit and sometimes in KGS under this name (just in case I got banned)

Post #18 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:44 am 
Dies with sente

pookpooi wrote:
Regarding firewall sentence
I rewrote from source of information
Mike Johnson, system admin at DeepKnd tweet
"AlphaGo does China: I'm in Wuzhen, China for three weeks. Back in June. Contact via WhatsApp. I'll be behind the firewall!"
https://twitter.com/mike_johnson/status ... 3808009216

Regarding mentioning that Japan has press freedom index score than China, because many news (such as https://www.wired.com/2017/05/google-un ... -watching/ or http://mashable.com/2017/05/25/china-ce ... EVieuyqqq3 and many more from comment above me) report that it actually intervene spreading go awareness so I simply suggest the next destination that has strong professional organization with less authority restrictions.

But of course, the decision on whether how much I violate the term of service is on admins of this board. And I fully respect their decision. If things not going well you can always find me posting on Reddit and sometimes in KGS under this name (just in case I got banned)

I think you have rather disingenuously 'rewrote' Mike Johnson's twit. He didn't exactly (sarcastically) say his team was excited to work behind the great firewall, did he? That was your spin, and with all spins, there is an agenda behind that, and not a good one at that.

And in your original comment suggesting that AlphaGo should next play Japan (a country with a 'free' press), you didn't at all mention China's news blackout on the Wuzhen event. The omission itself is rather curious, for omissions are often done with an agenda. It seems to me that you are simply trying to justify your behavior after being called out for unnecessarily injecting politics into this thread.

Post #19 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:54 am 
Lives in sente

TheCannyOnion wrote:
I think you have rather disingenuously 'rewrote' Mike Johnson's twit. He didn't exactly (sarcastically) say his team was excited to work behind the great firewall, did he? That was your spin, and with all spins, there is an agenda behind that, and not a good one at that.

This is why I choose the word rewrote instead of paraphrase because it take an account of my interpretation of exclamation mark behind the word 'firewall' in the original tweet. I assume exclamation in this context mean something exciting. (Or is there a word that mean 'not 100% paraphrase' in English? I don't know which word represent that)

And while it's true that I've not post information regarding China censorship, I posted it in Reddit yesterday

https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments ... ago_event/

But yes, what's happened outside this board is not count, so you can interpret my sentence as hidden agenda as one of the possibilities.

Edit: from now on I'll only respond on this matter to inbox message, by admin request only.

Last edited by pookpooi on Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #20 Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:58 am 
Dies with sente

mistakenot wrote:
I agree the latter half of the first quote is unnecessary, though at least unlike the posts that were infracted pookpooi's post isn't entirely off-topic since the first half contains relevant news.

But as for the second quote, it's hard to escape the fact that press censorship has had a direct negative impact on the Future of Go summit. We've had live broadcasts and expert commentary cancelled. Papers such as The Guardian, CNN, and Wired have reported on it, and it earned a mention in the NYT's article as well.

That by itself would be reason enough to avoid the current venue in the future, even if DeepMind weren't in the habit of rotating matches among countries. It's not prejudicial to admit that. (I am ethnic Chinese myself.)

This is getting out of hand. If you really feel any of pookpooi's posts violate board rules you should simply report them. Airing personal grievances in public and dragging threads off-topic are themselves violations of the rules.

Personally, I am grateful to pookpooi for their contributions to the board and for bringing Go news.

I wouldn't have minded if Pookpooi had brought up the censorship as an impediment to raising Go awareness in China (although that would have been off-topic and political), except he didn't. His original comment was simply a snide remark, an off-topic political one at that.

And I'm not airing a 'personal' grievance. I'm airing my frustration at all the off-topic political discussions and flame wars surrounding this AlphaGo event, which all seem to have originated from Pookpooi. What I said needed to be heard by all: leave politics at the door, and take your extracurricular SJW activities to the off-topic forum. Thank you.

Last edited by TheCannyOnion on Thu May 25, 2017 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next