All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DGS Client for iPhone
Post #1 Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 7
GD Posts: 120
KGS: RazorBrain
Finally! My go life has been cut way back this past year or so. With little or no time to play, I found myself having a hard time keeping up with even DGS turn-based games. Ugh. Now, as of early August 2010, there is a client for DGS for the iPhone. I may not be playing a lot, but at least my bits of time here and there that would go to something else can be devoted to making a few turns on DGS.

Here's a link to the developers site:

And of course you can find it in the iTunes app store. It's free. Just search for DGS.

I've been using it for about a week now and I'm very happy with it so far. It is not yet fully featured, but I believe I read that the developer, Justin Weiss, is working on the other things most DGS players would like to see.

Today, you can see games where it's your turn to move and make your moves via a zoom and touch interface (my preference). I think you can also add games.

- Another One Bites the Dust
- BOOK REVIEW: How Not To Play Go
- Finally, a DGS Client for the iPhone

Post subject: Re: DGS Client for iPhone
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:55 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Nice! I've been hoping for this for awhile.

...of course I'm getting rid of my iPhone next month (think I can spend < $20/month with a prepaid).

Edit: this may be what makes me install 4.0 and risk having my 3G become incredibly slow.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 pm 
Dies in gote

I thought that Justin Weiss's DGS iPhone client deserved a bit more attention. I'm really enjoying using it. If anyone is interested in a few more details about the app, I've posted a new blog entry.

http://razorbrain.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/finally-a-dgs-client-for-the-iphone/

Post subject: Slightly off-topic
Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:47 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
hyperpape wrote:
...of course I'm getting rid of my iPhone next month (think I can spend < $20/month with a prepaid).

Edit: this may be what makes me install 4.0 and risk having my 3G become incredibly slow.

I've been using a 3Gs iPhone with at&t prepaid (gophone) for the past couple of months. I only use it for voice, not cellular data. iOS 4 lets you turn off all cellular data which means no accidental draining of your credit, and of course you need to use wifi. If you use the gps for maps when out & about then you'll want to buy an app like Navigon with contains the map data & thus doesn't need to use cellular data.

I'd advise waiting to see if the 4.1 release fixes the speed issue on the 3G as it's reputed to do.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:30 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
From what I can see, AT&T is much more expensive than T-Mobile, where you can pay $.10/minute with no other charges.

And while I might carry my phone as an iPod touch, I'll spend 95% of my time either away from wifi or at my house.

Post #6 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
hyperpape wrote:
From what I can see, AT&T is much more expensive than T-Mobile, where you can pay $.10/minute with no other charges.

And while I might carry my phone as an iPod touch, I'll spend 95% of my time either away from wifi or at my house.

I'm on at&t mainly because of relative who also use at&t, thus free mobile-to-mobile calling even with pre-paid. The plan I have is also $.10/min, with a $1 daily access charge. For me this means very cheap cellphone service compared to the standard at&t post-paid plans.

I'm in places with wifi about 99% of the time, so cellular data isn't something I need, but if I did there are pre-paid data plans too.

Post #7 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:41 am 
Dies in gote

I haven't upgrades my wife's 3G yet, as I'm waiting to see how things work out with the fix. And frankly, she doesn't use the iPhone in the same data-hungry way I do. So, no big deal. However, with that said, if you're waiting for a speed fix for iOS 4 on the 3G you might not need to worry as much as you think. Here's a link to an article that recommends a double hard reset to alleviate speed issues.

http://www.cultofmac.com/speed-up-iphone-3g-ios4-with-a-hard-reset/48070

Also, someone left a comment on my blog this morning saying that they feel that iOS 4 is actually faster. So, perception issue or not, hopefully Mr. Jobs will get this patched, too.

(BTW, it cracks me up to here non-iPhone owners laugh at the problems like this or the antenna issue on the iPhone 4. The funny thing is that the majority of iPhone owners don't care about these minor problems because they are so happy over all with their device.)