It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Can We Stop Calling Kata "scoreMean" Points?
Post #21 Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:28 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
I understand your argument, but I can not see any kind of "danger" or "harm" right now, that a incomplete or unaccurate concept of points (as we are talking about in this context) could do to a weaker player. (Especially because there is no defined accurate score of the game without playing the variations to the end to determine the score of each possible variation.) But I am open to expand my view here.

I am a teacher by profession and a local politican by the way, perhaps that explains my preference for catchy phrases ;-)

Perhaps I should take more care not to act as a go populist :shock: ;-)

Post #22 Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:42 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
emerus wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Points do not already exist, in the sense that scores do. They are not scores, nor are they estimates of scores. They have a definition, but are intractable to calculate before the endgame.

They can be calculated before endgame simply(speaking of move values). If you remove an opponent's stone from the board in Chinese rules, you deny them a point and if you capture a prisoner in Japanese rules, you gain a point. It is clear that they are not as intractable as you make it sound.

If that's what you were talking about as points, sure, they may currently exist, but they are even more misleading than KataGo's score estimates, except at the end of the game. Not that they are useless. For instance, if find that you are behind by 10 guranteed points, you have to find 10 points somewhere else. But that does not mean that your opponent has the lead. You may be well ahead.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #23 Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:07 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 36
KGS: emerus
Tygem: emerus
OGS: emerus
Bill Spight wrote:
emerus wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Points do not already exist, in the sense that scores do. They are not scores, nor are they estimates of scores. They have a definition, but are intractable to calculate before the endgame.

They can be calculated before endgame simply(speaking of move values). If you remove an opponent's stone from the board in Chinese rules, you deny them a point and if you capture a prisoner in Japanese rules, you gain a point. It is clear that they are not as intractable as you make it sound.

If that's what you were talking about as points, sure, they may currently exist, but they are even more misleading than KataGo's score estimates, except at the end of the game. Not that they are useless. For instance, if find that you are behind by 10 guranteed points, you have to find 10 points somewhere else. But that does not mean that your opponent has the lead. You may be well ahead.

Misleading? How so? You can observe them objectively. When you observe them and what you do with that data is up to you.

Misleading was chosen in the original post because people are regularly referring to KataGo's score estimation function as points. Points are something that predates KataGo by a few thousand years... sure, the term is not as clear as a pedant would like but it is a term that already has a usage. It is misleading to call something else by that same term, as you've agreed.

Post #24 Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:01 pm 
Honinbo

emerus wrote:
It is misleading to call something else by that same term, as you've agreed.

No, I have not agreed to that. Words typically have more than one meaning. Human language is a wonderful thing. I rather expect that the people you were talking to who talked about points were interested in evaluating go positions. KataGo score estimates do that. In addition, your critique used early opening positions with no points at all, just possibly estimated points. There is nothing wrong with estimated points, and nothing wrong with calling them points, as humans will.

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: spook

Post #25 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:31 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 12
lightvector wrote:
How about I just make the next training run of KataGo include a prediction target that consists of "what number of points would be needed to make the estimated winning chance close to 50-50" rather than "what is the average difference in final points that will result from self-play" and use this prediction as the value to report to users instead?

With some thought, I think I have settled on a training method that I think should be effective for this.

I thought about mentioning this yesterday, but didn't want to push since it seems you already have several good projects/ideas to pursue :) - Didn't expect you to come and suggest it yourself !

But definitely that would be a nice addition, if it's feasible to implement. Seems reasonable that you can change the komi and ask if this new output value gives close to 50% for the current network and update weights accordingly

It's a more intuitive number with respect to saying that something is an 'x point mistake' early in the game

This post by Yakago was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #26 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 71
Just me chiming in: I don't find it misleading, and I know that points is a heuristic to quantify the magnitude of ahead/behind. It doesn't directly mean 3 points, here they are, C16, C17, C18, count'em. That would be a stretch to interpret the behaviour in that way, in my opinion.

Post #27 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:32 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Bill Spight wrote:
emerus wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

emerus wrote:
Misleading? How so? You can observe them objectively. When you observe them and what you do with that data is up to you.

When you (emerus) talk of points do you mean:
- minimal guaranteed territory (i.e. even if opponent gets the gote endgames in the area you still get these points). I think Myungwan Kim 9p tended to count like this in his videos and called it "confirmed territory".
- expected local territory (i.e. if an endgame move is your sente but opponent's gote you assume you get the sente, if gote for both then split the difference, if ambiguous, or boundaries are not pure endgame but have life and death and aji implications with other areas then very hard)
- expected territory plus a point quantification of the value of influence (e.g. projecting 2 points of territory in front of a wall), which is essentially what I was trying to do in counting the early game position at https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=243147#p243147, but with simplifying assumptions of similar stones cancelling out so the absolute value is off, just the difference.
- something else?

For example, how many points is a lone 4-4 stone? Or a 3-4 stone? Or a 3-4 5-3 shimari? In terms of guaranteed territory a 4-4 has 0 points. Whilst a 3-3 has maybe 4 points. But in terms of "quantification of value on the same scale as points" as in the third definition a 4-4 is obviously similar to that 3-3 if not a little better.

Post #28 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:34 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 208
Was liked: 265
GD Posts: 200
emerus wrote:
xela wrote:
I really think an example would help.

3rd game I opened: Game here

Not +/-10 but I am not going to look very hard for something that I've seen at least 1/10 of the games I open into KataGo. If you are a user of KataGo and haven't noticed this by now, then you should look for it.

How often do you think professionals in post-AI age actually have such a large (>5 scoreMean) deficit by move 41? KataGo thinks it is like 10% of the time. It is ludicrous to me.

OK, thanks! Now you're a much stronger player than me, so probably I'm about to learn something important here. But so far I still feel as though I'm missing something. To me it's not looking all that ludicrous.

For anyone else who wants to check it out: we're looking at this game --

Position at move 41:
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$Bc19m41
$$ +---------------------------------------+
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . O X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . O . . . O X . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . X . . X . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . X . O O . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . O X X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . O O . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . . . . X . . X . . |
$$ | . . X O . X . O . . O . X . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X X O O . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ +---------------------------------------+[/go]

At move 40, KataGo on my machine with 20,000 playouts has white just over 7 "points" ahead, with 71% winrate. In other words, white has caught up on the board. We know this is possible because white used to win sometimes in the no-komi era. And recently Bill has posted 26 games where one player is at a 90% winrate during the opening.

Back to our Li-Chen game: KataGo doesn't like move 41, so the "average score" changes to W+8, 72% winrate. (On a small number of playouts it actually says W+9, but the number adjusts past a few thousand playouts.) In the first 40 moves, there's no single move that KataGo thinks is a blunder, it's more a matter of several small "errors" adding up to a white lead. I can see a few black moves that go against Uberdude's descriptions of AI style on these forums -- move 5, black approaching a 4-4 instead of making an enclosure from 3-4; move 7 pincer; move 27 hane, so no surprise that KataGo judges things this way.

The idea that "white has caught up on the board" is something I find useful. Looking at the diagram, I can see that black has territory in three places, whereas all that white has is potential -- a framework on the right, maybe a chance to attack black's stones at the top, and first move at top left. So KataGo is trying to teach me that this potential is almost exactly equal to a certain amount of solid territory.

Then KataGo thinks there's some mistakes by both players in the next few moves after 41, and by move 100, black has caught up again. The rest of the game is pretty dramatic. White does indeed attack the black group at the top, and there's a capturing race in the centre. KataGo thinks white doesn't get enough out of the attack, and at move 122 it's looking like a won game for black. But then if KataGo is to be believed, move 153 is a blunder: black just needed to connect against a peep but tried to be too clever, and it's suddenly a close game again. There are a few more swings back and forth in the early endgame. The final result is W+0.5. Overall an interesting game, thanks for sharing this one!

I tried with some other bots. ELF is known for giving more extreme winrates. But here, ELF says W is up 72% at move 40 and 78% at move 41, still less extreme than Bill's examples. LZ with network number 242 has 76% and 76%: it doesn't think move 41 is bad, but agrees that black has fallen behind earlier. An older, gentler LZ (network 157) has 65% and 67%. They're all telling much the same story.

So what's the misleading bit here? Is it that it looked like white was "miles ahead" yet it ended up as a very close game? Are you saying that the position is even at move 41 and all the AIs are giving us the wrong judgement, you don't think it's likely that black made mistakes early in the game then white made mistakes later? Or are you happy with a 70% or 80% winrate at move 40 but don't like to see this translated into a score difference?

Personally I actually would expect to see large swings in the opening, and more than 1/10 of the time. I suspect that many pros aren't going to be happy playing safe, conventional opening moves all the time. There will often be at least one person at the board who thinks they are stronger than the opponent (or better prepared, or luckier on that day) and that the best way to get the win is to unbalance the game. So you take a risk and depart from the usual patterns -- if it pays off, you secure a massive territory or kill a group, you're +15 or more, the opponent resigns. If it doesn't pay off, you're -15 and you're the one resigning. A lot of games do end by resignation, so it seems obvious that even pros make significant mistakes in well over 10% of their games. Why shouldn't some of those mistakes happen before move 40?

Seriously, these are genuine questions, I'm not trying to criticise you. But it's obvious that your instincts are very different from mine here (and you spoke earlier of "anyone who understands networks or computer programming" -- I've done a fair bit of study on those topics), so I want to see what I can learn from this conversation. Thanks again for replying to my first question and showing us an interesting game.

Attachments:
__go4go_20191126_Chen-Yiming_Li-He.sgf [1.7 KiB]
Downloaded 525 times

Post #29 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:48 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
How many points (of what definition) do we humans think white is ahead at move 41 in that position? I'll have a go at counting, somewhere between the minimal and expected approaches.

Bottom left black I'd say black can expect 9 points, though I know that this corner can often end up as 5-6 points if black resolutely ignores white moves in the area until necessary to live.
Bottom right I assume white gets sente s5 descend and hane connect, and m2 kosumi. 12 points.
Top right is black q19 sente or should we assume white can get r19 yose? (but then black o19 is sente and as white might be wanting to connect up there wouldn't do that. So I will count as q19 sente for 2 extra points for black in corner so 10 points.
If we expect white to spend her sente on stopping l17 dying then black there is no points.

Black total 31 points.

[go]$$Bcm41
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S S |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . O X S S |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . O . . . O X . S S |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . X . . X . . . X S S |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . X . O O . . S S |
$$ | S . . O . . . . . . . . . . . O O . . |
$$ | S S X O . . . . . . . . . X . . X . . |
$$ | S S X O . X . O . . O . X . . X S . . |
$$ | S S X X O O . . . . . . . S S S S S S |
$$ | S S . . . . . . . . . . . . S S S S S |

For white how to count the lone 4-4? 6 points is a rule-of-thumb I've come across before and seems vaguely reasonable and it's about half of the 12 points a small shimari could be counted as (but that's not counting the value of its influence) . It is of course 0 minimal territory.
Lower side is about 6 points. It has potential to be more towards centre, but also to be less if black does mean things inside using n3. My feeling is if we also want to quantify the value of influence it should be a little more than 6, maybe 8 say. There is a cut at e3 though. So let's stick to 6.
Right side assume black gets s4 sente descend yose. If black gets a-d in sente then it's about 6 points, but if white gets to block r12 then white gets maybe 6 more. But slide is not really sente for black for a while, so it's not black privilege but more like a mutual gote which would halve the 6 as current value, but it's more senteish for black so let's give white a third of the 6. 8 points total.
Upper side 0 points.
6+6+8+7.5komi = 27.5

[go]$$Bcm41
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . X O . O X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . O . . . O X . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . X . . X . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . X . O O . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . a . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . b c . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . d . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S S S |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O S S S |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . O O . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . . . . . . X . . X . . |
$$ | . . X O . X . O . . O . X . . X . . . |
$$ | . . X X O O . S S S . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . S S S . . . . . . . . . . |

So in terms of a minimal-to-expected territory count I get black 4.5 ahead. I think the error bars on my counting like this are about +/- 5. There's also the relative strengths of the 3 weak groups on the top side to factor in, the potential of the 4-4 (e.g. if white next moves are m18 n17 j17 then maybe a handful of white points start to appear on top side). So nothing terribly conclusive.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: xela

Post #30 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:19 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 48
KGS: LordVader
Just one thing I would like to add to this discussion:

Unlike a winrate, the score estimation shouldn't anticipate risks too much in my opinion.
Because if it does, the perfect estimation may always lead to extremely small margins like B+0.5.
After all, if you anticipate risks, half a point is enough to win.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 48
KGS: LordVader
Here is a full chart of winrate, playouts and score estimation.

Attachment:
for this game.jpg
for this game.jpg [ 174.16 KiB | Viewed 6465 times ]

If we want to verify the correctness of the score estimations,
then I think it may be better to work our way back,
i.e. to verify if the drop at 257 is justifiable.

This post by spook was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, xela

Post #32 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:10 am 
Honinbo

Thanks, spook. :)

Very nice graphs. I'm not sure exactly what's what, though.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #33 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:27 am 
Honinbo

spook wrote:
If we want to verify the correctness of the score estimations,
then I think it may be better to work our way back,
i.e. to verify if the drop at 257 is justifiable.

Interesting that the score estimation graph starts to drop at White 248, where White cuts the Black stones off with sente. As for Black 257, it may be cleaner for Black to play the double atari. Then if White connects, Black makes 2 eyes. The score remains the same with perfect play, OC.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #34 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:48 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
Okay, at the cost of several percent of selfplay efficiency I think I can do this. I'll try it out (adding the new target to predict score difference between current and even). :rambo:

If it works, then I think there's no more issue, right? For example, it should then consistently estimate the value of passing the first move of the game as losing somewhere from 13 to 15 points since that would be the komi adjustment needed to make the game fair after that (essentially to become new second player). So once this output exists, if it says 10 points lead, then it should actually mean 10 points lead (i.e. a player is 10 points above what would make a fair game), up to the bot's best ability to judge.

There will be one slight detail that if the search tree strongly expects you to try a specific move imminently that loses points to gain winning chances, it would be reporting the lead given its expectation for you to be playing that move. That's not an easy detail to fix, but that should only happen in specific planned tactics, the reported value would not reflect any general anticipation of giving up points for the game as a whole.

Assuming this works, would this mostly satisfy everyone? :study:

Edit: if I'm doing this, I'm probably going to have it simply replace the old prediction output, the old one won't exist any more. Which I think is desirable, since different runs of KataGo seem to randomly be more aggressive/conservative by small amounts, and those small amounts add up over the course of the game to actually give somewhat different values for scoreMean as it currently is. Having a "points difference from fair" should be more consistently anchored and stable between versions.

Post #35 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:33 pm 
Honinbo

lightvector wrote:
Okay, at the cost of several percent of selfplay efficiency I think I can do this. I'll try it out (adding the new target to predict score difference between current and even). :rambo:

If it works, then I think there's no more issue, right? For example, it should then consistently estimate the value of passing the first move of the game as losing somewhere from 13 to 15 points since that would be the komi adjustment needed to make the game fair after that (essentially to become new second player). So once this output exists, if it says 10 points lead, then it should actually mean 10 points lead (i.e. a player is 10 points above what would make a fair game), up to the bot's best ability to judge.

It definitely sounds like it's worth a try. :) And thanks to jlt for his posts on this topic. :) I expect that this will give better temperature estimates by xela's method, too.

It will be interesting to see how it reacts to sente, as well. :) The main problem with static points evaluation has been identifying sente. If everything is gote it's relatively easy. ;) If KataGo can be used to identify sente reasonably well, then we can use it to estimate static points evaluation, which may well be easier for humans to learn than final score estimation. That and xela's temperature estimates could lead to rules of thumb that humans can use during actual play. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #36 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:49 pm 
Gosei

I do not know yet what I will prefer. I like the current score and it is not obvious to me, what advantage the new one will have.

In any case I will continue to call it points ;-)

Post #37 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 pm 
Gosei

Universe is build on only statistical working physics. Why this fear of statistical values, there may be nothing more available to you in the end. Why all these strive for "real" points, that will not be achieved in any case till the end of the game.

Dont you "logic" thinkers, bean counters realize what you are missing out. Get rid of your small self enforced burka vision slot. You are like a bunch of reactionary physicists still denying quantum mechanics, although you see the fruits of its applications all around you. ;-)

Feels good to rant a little bit.

Post #38 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:13 pm 
Honinbo

Gomoto wrote:
I do not know yet what I will prefer. I like the current score and it is not obvious to me, what advantage the new one will have.

In any case I will continue to call it points ;-)

I thought that lightvector planned to estimate the median final score instead of the mean. The median ought to be less affected by heroic efforts that lose points. :)

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Gomoto

Post #39 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:21 pm 
Lives in gote

spook wrote:
Here is a full chart of winrate, playouts and score estimation.

Neat! The three lines on the score estimates graph: do the upper and lower represent error bounds? This isn't the sort of Lizzie screen shot that's usual around here. What software did you use to make these graphs?

Post #40 Posted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:25 pm 
Lives in gote

lightvector wrote:

If it works, then I think there's no more issue, right?

The number of people who have serious issues with the status quo seems to be approximately 1, so I'm not convinced there's a real problem that needs solving. (Still willing to be corrected on that point...) Still, it would be interesting to carry out this experiment if you have nothing better to do. We can run both versions on the same positions and see how well the two types of score estimates do or don't correlate.

"At the cost of several percent of selfplay efficiency' -- you mean it will take slightly longer to train this model, but you don't expect a significant impact on playing strength either way?

This post by xela was liked by: dfan