It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Katago and RTX 3050
Post #1 Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:02 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I am pretty new to Katago (I just learned today, that I could "analyze" a whole game). I've been using it just one move at a time, so I'm not very knowledgeable about the "number of playouts" and some other features.
It appears I should be analyzing "whole games" to learn from my "blunders".
I haven't seen a manual anywhere! :)

I have been thinking of buying an RTX 3050 (desktop) graphics card for this.

Is this a pretty reasonable choice, or one that could leave me wanting?
I'm only about 9k, and Go is a "hobby" for me, not a "career", obviously, so I don't really need to max out the "number of playouts".
I have an Intel 4790K CPU.

I was just looking for any feedback regarding performance from anyone who may be using Lizzie/Katago with this graphics card.

Thank you!

By the way, although I have been reading messages in "19x19"for a few years, this is my first post! :)

Post subject: Re: Katago and RTX 3050
Post #2 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
goplayer729 wrote:
I have been thinking of buying an RTX 3050 (desktop) graphics card for this.

It is probably pretty good.

The NVIDIA RTX 30x0 series has some very fast GPUs, the different 30x0 versions are mostly different in the number of CUDA compute units and amount of memory. The memory is very large in any case when it comes to running programs like Katago. The number of CUDA compute units varies in the 30x0 series, I don't know if Katago can utilize all of them 100%, but in general the computation done by the CUDA cores is only one step in the computations. So counting CUDA cores can be misleading, for example if the CUDA computation is 50% of the time and you double the number of CUDA cores the total time for the computation is at best 25% less.

Just go for it!

A few hundred playouts are enough to get the gist of there is a mistake at that point in the game. You can run for a longer time but usually playing out some moves on your own and checking the computer will give more clarity. Programs lime Katrain have defaults and you don't have to change anything unless you find some reason :tmbup:

goplayer729 wrote:
By the way, although I have been reading messages in "19x19"for a few years, this is my first post!

Welcome!

Post #3 Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:41 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
I would probably give the AI Sensei free plan a try in your case, no need for a graphics card. (I personally use the basic one.)

Post #4 Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:05 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
As the person who started the thread, thank you very much for your replies to my question!

Cheers!

Post #5 Posted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:24 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 12
During various tournaments, I've analyzed games with the 900 series on a laptop (and not the top model)

(Note 900 -> 1000 -> 2000 -> 3000 for the series)

That is of course not nearly as convenient as a new graphics card on a desktop, but that is to say that it is possible!
Therefore any 3000 series graphics card should give quite a reasonable experience for the common user in my opinion.