It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Igo Shukairoku in GoGoD?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:18 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 9
GD Posts: 495
KGS: Gresil
The Classics section of GoGoD (TBase/Classics/Classics.htm) has this item:

"GENAN INSEKI'S IGO SHUKAIROKU - The first ever book on endgame counting...
Item 21 in [New in Go], but this is the complete version - the online version has only 25% of the contents"

The capitalized part is a link, but it leads not to the "complete version" as you would expect but to the offline copy of the online version which is included on the disc. Is the complete work really included in GoGoD somewhere? I can't find it.

Post subject: Re: The Igo Shukairoku in GoGoD?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:07 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
My copy of GoGoD from last Winter also has the same content as you describe. Both the disc & the website go to Shukai_44.htm which is page 20b of the book. I have no idea whether this is only 25% of the complete work.

SL's page (http://senseis.xmp.net/?IgoShukairoku) says the book includes 155 positions. Since each html page contains more than 1 position it's possible we have the complete work.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
You have the complete version, which is now also online.

I have a poor memory for things like this, but I think what happened was that GoGoD switched to an upgraded hosting service and we had to upload everything again. By then the offline version of New In Go had been extended, and it would have been too much work to prune it back again, so we left it as is. Think of it as a belated Christmas present.

The link caption was overlooked, of course, as you kindly pointed out, but has now been amended.

One reason these things get overlooked is that if a topic gets no feedback it easily gets forgotten about. The go classics in general seem to disappear from the radar very easily, and so I have not worked on that part of the CD for a very long time. However, I have taken a chance and the next item "from the GoGoD archives" delivered to Slate & Shell soon will be a complete edition of the various Xuanxuan Qijings. I started this on the CD and online, but, as I say, apparent lack of interest led to my work drying up. However, I recently decided that there is no way that the most important go book ever published should stew in oblivion in the west, so I finished it off as a printed book. At this stage S&S know nothing about it and it is huge (almost 500 problems, with discussions of the background to each and comparison of the various solutions put forward by pros - who often disagree with each other), so that combined with possibly low market interest means that I can't yet be certain that they will issue it.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Gresil, imabuddha, nagano

Post #4 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:09 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 351
Was liked: 66
John Fairbairn wrote:
However, I have taken a chance and the next item "from the GoGoD archives" delivered to Slate & Shell soon will be a complete edition of the various Xuanxuan Qijings. I started this on the CD and online, but, as I say, apparent lack of interest led to my work drying up. However, I recently decided that there is no way that the most important go book ever published should stew in oblivion in the west, so I finished it off as a printed book. At this stage S&S know nothing about it and it is huge (almost 500 problems, with discussions of the background to each and comparison of the various solutions put forward by pros - who often disagree with each other), so that combined with possibly low market interest means that I can't yet be certain that they will issue it.

Wow, that sounds like a very interesting work that belongs on my bookshelf. I certainly hope S&S will publish it.

It's a book that deserves to be issued as a finely bound hardcover, although I know it's unlikely that S&S would risk that. If S&S passes on it perhaps another publisher like the Easton Press would take it on. I keep dreaming that someday they'll do a series of classic books on games.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:28 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 9
GD Posts: 495
KGS: Gresil
Thanks for the swift responses. It pains me to hear such peerless work isn't getting the response it deserves.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:29 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 34
GD Posts: 24
The Xuanxuan Qijing translation sounds fantastic! I would be even more interested in one for the Guanzi Pu, as it seems harder to find.

"Those who calculate greatly will win; those who calculate only a little will lose, but what of those who don't make any calculations at all!? This is why everything must be calculated, in order to foresee victory and defeat."-The Art of War

Post #7 Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:44 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
John Fairbairn wrote:
You have the complete version, which is now also online.

I have a poor memory for things like this, but I think what happened was that GoGoD switched to an upgraded hosting service and we had to upload everything again. By then the offline version of New In Go had been extended, and it would have been too much work to prune it back again, so we left it as is. Think of it as a belated Christmas present.

The link caption was overlooked, of course, as you kindly pointed out, but has now been amended.

One reason these things get overlooked is that if a topic gets no feedback it easily gets forgotten about. The go classics in general seem to disappear from the radar very easily, and so I have not worked on that part of the CD for a very long time. However, I have taken a chance and the next item "from the GoGoD archives" delivered to Slate & Shell soon will be a complete edition of the various Xuanxuan Qijings. I started this on the CD and online, but, as I say, apparent lack of interest led to my work drying up. However, I recently decided that there is no way that the most important go book ever published should stew in oblivion in the west, so I finished it off as a printed book. At this stage S&S know nothing about it and it is huge (almost 500 problems, with discussions of the background to each and comparison of the various solutions put forward by pros - who often disagree with each other), so that combined with possibly low market interest means that I can't yet be certain that they will issue it.

I would buy this book if S&S publishes it. I have, and can read, the Japanese edition by Hashimoto Utaro but I'm especially interested in the comparisons of different editions and the different analyses of problems. These classic books, including Gokyo Shumyo and Guanzipu, really provide almost all the study material a person needs to develop high dan level reading skills.