It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SmartGo Kifu - Guess Move, Odd Notation
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:56 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
I've been using SmartGo Kifu's feature that allows players to guess the next move in pro games (and I use it to study my recollection of my own games also). The problem is, once I guess a move or go through a game, the next time I review the game, the next move is always marked with a weird diamond-shaped symbol with a green circle. This happens regardless of whether I have the "next move" option selected (which puts an 'a' where the next move is; when I have it turned on, it appears over the diamond symbol.

Is there a setting to disable this somewhere, or is it a bug? Screenshot:

Attachment:
photo.PNG
photo.PNG [ 866.67 KiB | Viewed 3340 times ]

Post subject: Re: SmartGo Kifu - Guess Move, Odd Notation
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:33 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 120
Tap the gear button in the lower left, then the button next to the Guess Next Move icon to erase all those marks. (Sorry about the clunky UI, is on the list of features that need improvement,)

This post by smartgo was liked by: judicata

Post #3 Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 97
GD Posts: 351
Just to chip in two worn out memory cells: I'd be happy for a way to scroll back and forth a game record in "guess the next move" mode without the next move being marked with a diamond. :) It's indeed a little clunky to constantly have to switch on/off the mode when memorizing pro games.

By the way, do you plan on improving the AI a little? Not in terms of strength, but to make it play a bit less "artificially"? It seems to be a "bare bones" MC engine with all the annoying traits of it: aims for .5 wins and if that fails, it makes completely nonsensical 30kyu moves. As far as engines on the iPad go, Footland's is the only one that plays somewhat like a human.

SmartGo Kifu is nevertheless a fantastic app and absolutely worth the money.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:14 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 120
Mivo wrote:
I'd be happy for a way to scroll back and forth a game record in "guess the next move" mode without the next move being marked with a diamond.

Agree. When you have guessed some moves, the diamond highlights the correct move. But just going to the next move should not trigger that.

Mivo wrote:
By the way, do you plan on improving the AI a little? Not in terms of strength, but to make it play a bit less "artificially"? It seems to be a "bare bones" MC engine with all the annoying traits of it: aims for .5 wins and if that fails, it makes completely nonsensical 30kyu moves.

You're right, the Monte Carlo engine needs some work. Other priorities first, though.