It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Playing on IGS with MacOS Lion or iPad?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:39 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: haflinger
IGS: precipice
DGS: precipice
Any suggestions for a solid, stable IGS client that runs on iOS or MacOS Lion? I'm having a hard time finding an IGS client that doesn't crash. Could I ask what people like best?

I'd heard recommendations for glGo, but it is compiled for PowerPC and no longer runs on MacOS if you upgrade to Lion (which removed PowerPC emulation). So that's out, as are many of the older compiled clients.

Goban.app runs fine, but I just lost a rated game because of a brief network connection failure. All my other network clients recovered fine; Goban dropped the connection and didn't alert me, so the game timed out. Likewise, the Java WebStart app has crashed repeatedly for me.

I love the Tetsuki iPad/iPhone app, but it crashes whenever the chat function is used for me. Watching a highly rated game with lots of kibbutzing is a sure way to get it to crash. Again, this lost me a rated game recently.

I would like to lose because of my own limitations or mistakes, not the client's. :)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Playing on IGS with MacOS Lion or iPad?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 13
I almost installed Lion when I got my new computer. Fortunately, it was taking a long time to download from the App store, so I read some comments. I was a little disturbed to hear PowerPC was being dropped, and did a check to see which apps used it. I was horrified to discover KGS was one of them, and there were several others I use often as well. So I decided not to upgrade, and won't until KGS runs on it. It is bad enough that us Mac users are so underserved when it comes to Go software, but Apple's decision to drop PowerPC makes it even worse for us. There are good things developing and appearing for iOS, but that is totally separate from the operating system on Mac computers.

For iPad, Wbaduk now has a client, which seems great. You can play in the Japanese, Korean, or Chinese rooms. Language is of course an issue, but you can look for other players with an American flag by their name (and there seemed to be quite a few last time I logged on).

Post #3 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:51 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 5
Pandanet-Tetsuki is one of the most beautiful and useful Go apps I have ever seen on any platform. Stable IGS ON iOS. Voila.
It is practically the only way I play go anymore.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:05 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 1
KGS: haflinger
IGS: precipice
DGS: precipice
uglyboxer wrote:
Pandanet-Tetsuki is one of the most beautiful and useful Go apps I have ever seen on any platform. Stable IGS ON iOS. Voila.
It is practically the only way I play go anymore.

Unfortunately I haven't found it to be stable (on my iPad, anyway). Chat messages -- kibitzing or saying "thanks for the game" before the final scoring -- cause it to crash all the time for me. That latter case sucks if I've won and then have the app crash; I "lost" a rated game that way.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:39 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 5
Do you have the original Tetsuki (which is no longer supported)? Or did you download the newer build Panda-Tetsuki? I am running IOS 4.x on an iPad2 and I have never had any crashes.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:59 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 12
KGS: Baldanders
shimari wrote:
I was a little disturbed to hear PowerPC was being dropped, and did a check to see which apps used it. I was horrified to discover KGS was one of them, and there were several others I use often as well. So I decided not to upgrade, and won't until KGS runs on it.

Huh? KGS runs with zero problems on Lion. The first time you run it it downloads and installs Java, but I've had zero difficulties. KGS was possibly the first thing I installed after upgrading.

Post #7 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:05 pm 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
aconley wrote:
shimari wrote:
I was a little disturbed to hear PowerPC was being dropped, and did a check to see which apps used it. I was horrified to discover KGS was one of them, and there were several others I use often as well. So I decided not to upgrade, and won't until KGS runs on it.

Huh? KGS runs with zero problems on Lion. The first time you run it it downloads and installs Java, but I've had zero difficulties. KGS was possibly the first thing I installed after upgrading.

Seconded. No problems with CGoban.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:43 pm 
Dies with sente

Really? Are you guys running the program through the website, or through the downloaded client? My computer said Cgoban was running on Power PC. The version through the website would be running on Java Webstart - which might still work if it is going through a browser that is running Java. The client should work whether or not you are online, and whether or not you have internet access - both of which are important to me. Please clarify what your case is. If the downloadable client really works on Lion, then I might upgrade.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:05 am 
Lives in sente

Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
shimari wrote:
Really? Are you guys running the program through the website, or through the downloaded client? My computer said Cgoban was running on Power PC. The version through the website would be running on Java Webstart - which might still work if it is going through a browser that is running Java. The client should work whether or not you are online, and whether or not you have internet access - both of which are important to me. Please clarify what your case is. If the downloadable client really works on Lion, then I might upgrade.

It probably said PowerPC because when the web start downloads an executable, it probably chooses which one is appropriate. Mine says Universal.

Or maybe you just hadn't downloaded a new executable in a long time?

In any case, it works fine here.

Post #10 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:00 am 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 12
KGS: Baldanders
Downloaded client. I've never tried running it in browser.

My only real problem at this point with Lion is getting
emacs to compile with x-windows support. Other than that,
everything I care about -- which most definitely includes
KGS -- works fine. However, I don't play on IGS, so no
idea what the story is there.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:39 am 
Dies with sente

Awesome, thanks guys! I will install Lion soon then. Come to club Alex, so we can play ^_^