It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shell stones and glass tones
Post #1 Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 9:12 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Over on reddit, an enthusiastic new owner of some used blossom or flower grade stones commented on how interesting he found the grain patterns. I have a set of yuki stones that are so tightly grained they look like glass. They’re fun to play with but, really, what’s the point of shells that look like glass? I much prefer the purple stones.

https://imgur.com/gallery/U3kOaGN

Post subject: Re: Shell stones and glass tones
Post #2 Posted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Your purple stones are cool David. I'd be willing to take your boring, glass-like yuki stones off your hands.

Post #3 Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:56 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 407
You and I share similar tastes. I bought a set of purple shell stones to pair with my purpleheart board. They're gorgeous in person.

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:20 pm 
Lives in gote

ScatCat wrote:
You and I share similar tastes. I bought a set of purple shell stones to pair with my purpleheart board. They're gorgeous in person.

Photos? Show me yours, I’ll show you more of mine. Who made your board? Got mine from Carol Dufor, Canadian woodworker. Thing must mass 10 kilos.

Post #5 Posted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:12 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 11
GD Posts: 407
Sure, heres a link. I can't believe I took those pictures so many years ago. The pleasure I felt opening that package is still fresh in my mind.

The actual board is one of two custom gobans I asked Carol to make along with a third 9x9. He retired shortly after making my travel set. I remember what an amazing craftsman he was every time I look at them.

This post by ScatCat was liked by: sybob

Post #6 Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:05 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Nice board. Does the darker tone of the wood work, for concentration? I like striking patterns myself, but I've always kind of felt I was going against the grain.

Another thing I find quirky is that Western boards seem to tend towards slightly rounded edges. I think Japanese boards like their edges sharp. Is it a perception bias on my side or am I right?

Take care.

Post #7 Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:31 am 
Lives in gote

ScatCat wrote:
Sure, heres a link. I can't believe I took those pictures so many years ago. The pleasure I felt opening that package is still fresh in my mind.

The actual board is one of two custom gobans I asked Carol to make along with a third 9x9. He retired shortly after making my travel set. I remember what an amazing craftsman he was every time I look at them.

Lovely, I will get some additional shots of my purple-on-purple set up on imgur in a few days and post a link here. IIRC, Carol posted a note on rec.games.go saying he had two or three different types of wood available. I had been working with purpleheart for many years (making boxes for professional tarot card readers to hold their working decks) so I contacted him immediately and ordered the board. I wrote a review of the board that appeared in the online and printed versions of the AGA Yearbook for 1999 or so.

Years later, I added the purple stones. I had been watching the Kuroki site for many months, waiting for an opportunity to buy a set of shells when two sets of these unique uniquely veined stones showed up in their “off spec” section. I jumped on the buy-now button. Most of the stones have small bits of purple and reddish brown markings but there 30 or so with distinctive and pronounced marking.

I have since acquired another set of beautiful snow grade stones but, as I have said recently, the markings are so pure and tight they actually look like my glass stones. I enjoy using them but far prefer the visual play and wide variation of the purple stones.

Post #8 Posted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:47 am 
Lives in gote

Ferran wrote:
Nice board. Does the darker tone of the wood work, for concentration? I like striking patterns myself, but I've always kind of felt I was going against the grain.Another thing I find quirky is that Western boards seem to tend towards slightly rounded edges. I think Japanese boards like their edges sharp. Is it a perception bias on my side or am I right?
Take care.

I have never found the suggestion that folks play better go on a plain surface to be credible. I’ve played (and enjoyed the games) on cardboard, leather, all kinds of wood, bamboo, paper, and computer screens. I’ve played with M&Ms, coins, washers and nuts, shell, glass, Pixels, plastic, magnets, and cardboard disks. I have never once thought to myself, “Gee, I could have played a much better game if I was not So totally distracted by this ugly set.”

The topic of a Western aesthetic being applied to go equipment can be seen in other posts here on the forum. A few woodworkers have attempted to design interesting gear but it is quite expensive. It should be. Other do-it-yourself boards, illustrated on various forums and youtube clips, are generally made by hobbyists or craftsmen with lesser or still developing skills. Aside from making a stable board, applying the lines presents the most difficult phase of the execution.

In the STates, the old suppliers of fine go equipment are all out of business or can no longer get good equipment at a price anyone will pay so they do not have an inventory on shore. There is a large an unfulfilled market for good go equipment but folks seem to think go sets should be inexpensive. Not possible any longer.

I do not recall how much I paid for Carol Dufor’s purpleheart board but I do remember that I would have gladly paid twice as much. His woodworking craft is superb. When I was ready to buy another board from him, I received a note back from his wife that he had retired.