It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New set - Honkaya board, Keyaki bowls, Shell & Slate stones
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:27 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 10
I just wanted to share my Go set.

After a lot back and forth, some restless nights and some mental gymnastics to justify such a ridiculous, only emotionally driven purchase I decided to get this set.

Here is the full album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/raytsh/al ... 5129614826

The board is Honkaya (easy to tell by the smell) and the collector I bought it from guesses that it is about 50 years old. But who knows really. The Paulownia box certainly looks old and the board has an uncountable amount of playing marks all over the top surface. The board has barely warped, only about 1-1.5mm on two opposite corners. The color is dark and rich and the 5 pieces have been aligned in a way that the joints align with the lines nearly perfectly. The lines are proper tachi-mori lines. The board is quite heavy with 5.5kg. My only real gripe with the board is that many of the joints show splits. But I guess that is a common thing keeping the age of the board in mind.

The bowls are made of Keyaki and are lacquered, not waxed/oiled. One can tell because the lacquer starts to come off at the rim. The appearance of the wood nicely flips from light to dark when moved in the right light.

The stones are shell and slate and are 9.1-9.5mm thick. So that's around size 33 I guess. The color of the shell stones is not bright white but more warm white to slight cream maybe. Many of the stones are of Yuki grade as well as far as I can tell.

All in all a nice set. And the smell, wow, this just does not come across through photos! Though I wish I had someone to play with. For the time being, it's only replaying Kifu for me (and maybe I eventually get my wife to play someday).

This post by raytsh was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, fireproof, Galation, seloran, SoDesuNe, sybob

Post subject: Re: New set - Honkaya board, Keyaki bowls, Shell & Slate sto
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:25 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Nice gear! Thanks for the great photo album. Traffic here on L19 is 90% computer stuff so this was a delightful change of topic.
The board’s finish should not be touched but you can have the bowls relacquered or do it yourself. The pawlonia could stand a fresh coat of something but that is a wood i am not familiar with. Perhaps a light sanding to remove the external oxidized surface? I don’t think it would hurt but You would want check with a qualified expert.

Of course, there is value and charm in leaving all the evidence and marks of age and use just as they are.

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 490
Was liked: 365
Really beautiful!

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 269
Was liked: 129
KGS: captslow
Online playing schedule: irregular and by appointment
raytsh wrote:
After a lot back and forth, some restless nights and some mental gymnastics to justify such a ridiculous, only emotionally driven purchase I decided to get this set.

Well worded. Good decision, beautiful set.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
sybob wrote:
raytsh wrote:

Well worded. Good decision, beautiful set.

Yesterday I sold a bike to a guy who already had ten bikes. And it wasn't a cheap bike, by the way. Once you take the plunge, these purchases become less ridiculous over time.

Congratulations on the set - it is beautiful.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:40 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 10
mhlepore wrote:
Once you take the plunge, these purchases become less ridiculous over time.

I've experienced that with electric guitars in particular.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:24 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
raytsh wrote:
I just wanted to share my Go set.
I wish I had someone to play with. For the time being, it's only replaying Kifu for me (and maybe I eventually get my wife to play someday).
Hi,
thank you for sharing this beauty with us!
I wish I live next door to you, I would ring your bell and invite myself for a game taking with me a couple of cold beers, maybe 3. ;-)

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:35 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 272
Was liked: 60
KGS: gotony
OGS: nghtstalker
Im amazed it still has a lovely scent after 50 years! Beautiful set-Congrats!

We play because we enjoy the beauty of the game, the snap and feel of real stones, and meeting interesting people. Hope to see ya there! お願いします!

Anthony

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:38 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Nice looking set :) . I like the signs of wear such as the dimpled playing surface. That sort of dimpling is natural and always occurs when the board is actually used. To me it gives the board a history. You can imagine how much pleasure the previous owner had using it. In Japan it is common to repair the playing surface by planing it smooth and reapplying lines if it has been severely dented (e.g. a hammer is dropped onto the board). I would not try to "clean up" the pawlonia boxes. They too show a patina of use and it would be difficult to return the boxes to a like-new appearance. The function of the boxes is simply to protect the board and bowls. In Japan I was told by a professional player and connoisseur or go equipment, that the pawlonia boxes can protect your stuff even in case of a house fire(!) I'm not sure whether I believe that but the soft character of the wood will certainly absorb impacts from things dropped on it (like a hammer) and other impacts when the equipment is being moved from place to place. I have a board like yours which I store in its pawlonia box. Years ago we had a roof leak in the winter due to an ice dam and water fell on the box. The board inside was totally protected but the box shows discoloration from the water.