It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: New Goban: Need help identifying wood?
Post #21 Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:08 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 235
Was liked: 77
Universal go server handle: fireproof
Mike Novack wrote:
bogiesan wrote:
silk screen printing was perfected in china in the 1200s and was used in France to make wallpapapers and fabrics in the 1600s. A magnifying glass is all that is needed to determine if the characters are printed or applied with a brush.

Thanks for saving me the trouble. I forgot that the general public might not know things like that. For that matter, "block printing" also ancient in China. But while that works well printing on paper, etc. not suitable for printing to a hard surface.

I feel like a pedant for saying this, but relief printing (of which block printing is a sub-set) can be accomplished with flexible rubber plates, or by offset printing from a block, to a rubber plate, and then onto a hard surface like wood, metal or glass.

Still, with a sufficiently close-up view you could determine whether it's handwritten or printed pretty easily.

This post by fireproof was liked by: EdLee

Post #22 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:30 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
fireproof wrote:

I feel like a pedant for saying this, but relief printing (of which block printing is a sub-set) can be accomplished with flexible rubber plates, or by offset printing from a block, to a rubber plate, and then onto a hard surface like wood, metal or glass.

Still, with a sufficiently close-up view you could determine whether it's handwritten or printed pretty easily.

ROFLOL -- Before posting I had actually included that "offset" (say to a rubber sheet) would allow hard to hard transfer. But offset is only ~150 years old, not ancient, so I took that out. Once including offset could include the possibility of calligraphy on semi transparent paper used to create a gelatin plate on glass (where exposed to light, not washed off, oil based ink only goes where washed off) but now we are talking about "photographic" processes. For detecting that, probably need higher magnification as lacks the regularity of "screen".

Post #23 Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:43 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 0
I’m sorry if I sound annoying but I am trying to find out as much as I can about my new set. Based on all the pictures, does it look like it’s an Agathis board? Curious, can you tell what kind of wood is used for the bowls? I really enjoy the set, I’m just stumped on how to get more information about it. Thanks to you all for making comments

Post #24 Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:20 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
ryanfromvisalia wrote:
I’m sorry if I sound annoying but I am trying to find out as much as I can about my new set. Based on all the pictures, does it look like it’s an Agathis board? Curious, can you tell what kind of wood is used for the bowls? I really enjoy the set, I’m just stumped on how to get more information about it. Thanks to you all for making comments

As you have experienced so far, the best anyone can do by looking at photos is make a guess. The larger question for me is, if you want the set, why do you care what the woods really are? Everything looks great. Buy it and enjoy it and maybe after The MAdness has passed you ca take it around to some clubs and see if anyone can identify the species for you with certainty.

See my post “Stone Soup” for a selection of different bowl species. Maybe by comparison, or by asking your seller to look at that link, you could eliminate some possible species. Big issue with bowls, though, is sometimes they are waxed, sometimes stained. Stained chestnut (kuri) always looks like chestnut but stained kaya (Now, what muttonhead would stain kaya?) could be many other woods.

https://imgur.com/gallery/wXQfx9J

Post #25 Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:30 am 
Lives in gote

Mike Novack wrote:
fireproof wrote:

ROFLOL -- Before posting I had actually included that "offset" (say to a rubber sheet) would allow hard to hard transfer. But offset is only ~150 years old, not ancient, so I took that out. Once including offset could include the possibility of calligraphy on semi transparent paper used to create a gelatin plate on glass (where exposed to light, not washed off, oil based ink only goes where washed off) but now we are talking about "photographic" processes. For detecting that, probably need higher magnification as lacks the regularity of "screen".

You are referring to “pad printing”, a largely industrial technique these days. Among the popular uses today is stamping the codes and logos onto integrated circuit packages but, in my youth, pad printing was used to transfer complex designs to 3D shapes such as Hot Wheels cars.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:26 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 180
bogiesan wrote:
You are referring to “pad printing”, a largely industrial technique these days. Among the popular uses today is stamping the codes and logos onto integrated circuit packages but, in my youth, pad printing was used to transfer complex designs to 3D shapes such as Hot Wheels cars.

I am confused. Which of what I described were you relating to "pad printing"

The gelatin process I was describing was used as an alternative to halftone going from photographic to print. Capable of much higher resolution and the granularity not regular as half tone would be. But SLOW as that gelatin surface delicate.

Post #27 Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:18 pm 
Lives in gote

Mike Novack wrote:
bogiesan wrote:

I am confused. Which of what I described were you relating to "pad printing"

The gelatin process I was describing was used as an alternative to halftone going from photographic to print. Capable of much higher resolution and the granularity not regular as half tone would be. But SLOW as that gelatin surface delicate.

Probably quoted the wrong post. Let s simply assume it was my mistake. since we are no longer helping the OP, I’ll not respond any longer.

Post #28 Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
ryanfromvisalia wrote:

The two on the left look like Keyaki (Zeklova). The two on the right actually look like two different woods; the left one (more red) looks like Karin (Chinese Quince) but the one on the right looks different, more brown than red. It is difficult to judge color because finished wood looks different from different angles. There are many different kinds of wood used in making bowls.