It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New On-The-"Go" Set (seewhatIdidthere)
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:24 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 10
I already have one of the nicest stationary sets that I could wish for and I'm really happy with it. But I want to be able to take a set with me on vacations and when I visit the family over holidays etc. and I don't want to take my precious set with me. Not is it kind of delicate and fragile, it is also heavy and consists of multiple boxes. Thus I was shopping for an affordable set that is compact and I don't have to worry leaving it in the car at extreme temperatures and so on.

It's an all bamboo set with foldable board and bamboo bowls. I also had a set of nice double convex Yunzi stones that fit quite well.

Not sure how to attache photos and the images seem to big to embedd, so here is a link: https://imgur.com/gallery/udhqdik

This post by raytsh was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Galation

Post subject: Re: New On-The-"Go" Set (seewhatIdidthere)
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:14 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Very nice!

Where did you get this from? You know this is required information, no? ;)

Post #3 Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
raytsh wrote:
I want to be able to take a set with me on vacations and when I visit the family over holidays etc.

I had the same problem and bought the sane set! :tmbup:
It's so sturdy that I used it for studying at the beach.

I only added a pair of slightly defected camphor goke.
here you can see a picture of my set: http://www.tortellinogoclub.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/01c_ogs-768x578.jpg
Enjoy! G.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Here are the components of the portable leather go set that pro Janice Kim sold when she first opened her baduk company, Samarkand, in 1997, which specialized in Korean equipment most USA go players had never seen, including what she called “Kitani” and “Seigen” bowls.

The leather playing surface is regulation size and 19/13 reversible. The lines were drawn with a ballpoint pen and the little bags held a set of diminutive 17mm Korean glass stones, which I still have... somewhere.

This set has been in hiatus for at least 15 years but I took it backpacking into the Idaho wilderness and to kite festivals in Washington and Oregon.

https://imgur.com/gallery/ePWupeU

This post by bogiesan was liked by: Galation

Post #5 Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:37 am 
Beginner

Bonobo wrote:
Very nice!

Where did you get this from? You know this is required information, no? ;)

I've got it from go-spiele.de.

This post by raytsh was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:48 am 
Lives with ko

bogiesan wrote:
Here are the components of the portable leather go set that pro Janice Kim sold when she first opened her baduk company, Samarkand, in 1997,
Nice! In that direction, I remember an idea of a sewed lined textike goban that I always wanted to, but never realized, described on Sensei Library, here:https://senseis.xmp.net/?Gyom%2Fgoban
bogiesan wrote:
I took it backpacking into the Idaho wilderness and to kite festivals in Washington and Oregon.
nice story, still, I better enjoy a wooden goban and it have the important property of drawing attention, so that you can share Go with newcomers! ;-)
Galation

Post #7 Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:08 pm 
Beginner

An update! After some reconsideration I decided to return it (I kept the stones though since I already owned them before I purchased the bamboo set). While that bamboo set was really nice, it was not really that portable after all. The whole set was somewhat heavy at about 6kg and with the bag it was a bit bulky. With 140EUR it is priced right in my opinion. Though, I still don’t “need” such a nice set for these rare occasions where I want to take a set with me. Something cheaper, less fully-fletched would do just fine.

So I decided to use my Yunzi stones (and the cheap, plastic bows that come with them) and just add an affordable, portable board and be done with it. The whole set now weighs about 3.3kg and the total cost is about 75EUR, the board is only 15EUR.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jyOG7I1

The board is not made of real wood of course, it’s some kind of printed veneer on a fiber board. It looks artificial and I actually like that. The color is not like Honkaya or Shinkaya, it looks more like dyed agathis or some such. The grain and color look pretty much like an online board from, for instance, FoxWQ or WBaduk. Same for the Yunzi stones; They just look like the standard, matte stones seen on many online boards. That "online board" look is one of the coolest aspects of this set for me.

The board also has the added benefit of having a 13x13 on the backside.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
No one in the States is brave enough to import these. I like the plastic bowls; they seem to have a tab that secures them closed. I hope you will have many enjoyable games with this set. But I guess you need to find some go players first.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:12 am 
Lives with ko

I largely prefer a wooden set: I agree that it is bulky and weighty, but it fits comfortably in the trunk of my car.

If I were to travel with a packed, low weight set, I will probably look for a small magnetic set (I have one)
Attachment:
pixlr_20200830110705685.jpg
pixlr_20200830110705685.jpg [ 514.24 KiB | Viewed 6405 times ]
or a BentoBox set like the one GoGameGuru used to sell.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261Pcs-Go-Bang-Weiqi-Baduk-Chess-Game-Set-Leather-Board-Chinese-Toys-Gifts-Glass/283799625800?hash=item4213c6a048:g:ucsAAOSwTlVeWmxN&var=585222669094

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361pcs-Professional-Go-Game-WeiQi-Board-Games-Suede-Leather-Sheet-Baduk-Full-Set/383570682248?hash=item594e982188:g:pcsAAOSwN1Ne1ML5

Your solution looks somewhat in the middle: better looking/feeling stones and wood imitation goban.
Enjoy! :tmbup: