All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reversing a slight warp
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:53 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
OGS: 10k
Well I feel like a fool.

In 2021 I was super excited about Go - hammering out game after game after game, and then my holiday bonus hit and I figured I would buy myself a nice looking board for the living room.

Went over to store.baduk.club and splurged on a 4” Kaya floor board that I assumed I could just take the legs off of and use as a table board. It’s a single piece of wood and gorgeous. It took months to get to me, presumably getting stuck in the Suez Canal.

Well here’s the issue… I live in Arizona. It’s pretty dry here. I keep it inside, laying on a flat surface, but I suppose I have not oiled it enough. It now has a bit of a warp playing side is the convex side). It isn’t much - just enough to make it wobble a bit. I have felt sticky pads for when I’m using it as a table board, and the warp is slight enough that one corner just has two pads.

So my question is two-fold: first, what do I do to prevent further warping? If it never wants any further it would be fine… but I don’t want it to further dry out and crack (I didn’t think this would be an issue at all since it’s an old board that was presumably already dry and further I have other wood furniture that this is not a problem for).

Secondly, is there a way to reverse the warping? Maybe store it on it’s side? Only oil one side for a few years? Anything like that?

Post subject: Re: Reversing a slight warp
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:11 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Sorry no one ever got back to you on this question. No, there is nothing you can do to reverse a warp. If you try to clamp the board down to a flat surface for a few months, the warp will only flatten out because the wood will crack on the opposite side. There really is nothing that will prevent the migration of water in the cells of wood. Oil and wax or an impervious resin coating on the surface might prevent total loss (but only for an unknown time, we're talking molecules here) the interior moisture is going to move regardless. That may or may not cause imbalances between the adjacent wood fibers. Seasoning and stabilizing wood for a particular climate is best done before it is machined into goods. You can spend several hours on the web reseraching wood preservation techniques but a solid chunk of an anc ient tree, grown and seasoned in a maritime climate (Japan?) and transported to the deserts of SW USA is going to do whatever it wants to.

Post subject: Re: Reversing a slight warp
Post #3 Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:11 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
As mentioned, wood warps because of the movement of humidity (water) into or out of the wood. The best guarantee against warp is to have the wood thoroughly air dried to reduce moisture in the wood to the stable level of the environment. If the board was made from insufficiently dried wood it will warp. Arizona has a dry climate and Japan has a humid climate so anything made of wood in Japan is likely to warp or crack when moved to Arizona even if the wood was air dried thoroughly in Japan. About the best that can be done to avoid warping or cracking is to when moving something is to have a climate controlled place for the object and very slowly change the humidity of that environment to make the object become accustomed to the new climate where you live. It sounds to me that you actually have relatively small amount of warp if it can be managed with felt pads.