It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Methods for lining gobans
Post #1 Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:23 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 0
Universal go server handle: Belruel
I have been brainstorming ideas for how I want to make myself a goban.

If possible I want to get a full sized wood board about an inch think (or a bit thinner), but if that is too costly I am going to glue two or more boards together (maybe slotting, but probably not).

I want to be able to reasonably transport the board when necessary, but it isn't being made for travel.

What I am most concerned with is getting the lines on in an accurate, even, beautiful way. I am particular, so I know that slight flaws will bother me.

I have read through a lot of threads on here and on various other websites, but I was hoping to get some informed opinions and be able to ask a few questions.

Drawing the grid by hand with a marker and ruler: If I do go this route, what is the best marker? I have read that I'd need to put a layer of laquer under the marker, sand that a bit, mark the board, then more laquer. I'd prefer to not have to put a shiny sealant over the top, so this method is my least favored (but also likely the cheapest). If I get cheap and just buy some MDF I will likely go with this route.

Carving the grid in with a knife/saw and a ruler: I haven't seen much about this method online, would anyone have any tips? Best way to get the lines visible after they are carved in? Best way to get as near to flawless as possible?

Getting the grid silkscreened on: My father's friend owns a shirt business, so if this is a viable method I'd ask him about prices, but just in case he can't do it, has anyone had this done? About how much did it cost? Do the lines last? Did you need to seal it? Would wax/oil work instead of a laquer?

Having the lines laser etched into the wood: I rather like this idea. I saw some marble boards another user here was making, and they were beautiful. Such perfect lines. If I could buy one of those boards on wood instead of marble (locally, ouch shipping) I would be very happy. The problem is I have absolutely no idea what an even general price for getting this done by a local vendor would be. I plan on calling some laser etching businesses relatively close to me to get a general estimate, but if anyone has had this done, or has a suggestion for how much it might cost, I'd love to hear from you. I imagine trying to explain what I want done over the phone will be interesting at best.

Does anyone know of any other methods I have missed in my search through google? I sadly don't have a katana so I can't go traditional. I'd appreciate any input you are kind enough to add.

Post subject: Re: Methods for lining gobans
Post #2 Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:34 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 85
Was liked: 85
GD Posts: 100
I bought an old Japanese board (with legs) a while ago, sanded it down and then hit the lines issue. I also had a shogi board with legs that I used as a test subject :D (I still need to fix that.. - let's just say I now realise why you need to seal the wood before attempting to draw on the lines).

In the end I took it to a professional screenprinter - not one that did tshirts but one that did signs. They used a very hard paint and I have not had any issues with it flaking off. It was pricey though as they had to prepare the screen and apparently it was quite tricky to do. It cost about 100 GBP :shock:

here's some photos:

Attachment:
DSCF2235_small.jpg
DSCF2235_small.jpg [ 219.38 KiB | Viewed 5231 times ]

Attachment:
DSCF2241_small.jpg
DSCF2241_small.jpg [ 44.43 KiB | Viewed 5231 times ]

The only issue was that part of the sanding process took off quite a bit of wood on the right side - because of a chip and you can see the grid only just fits on - so a bit disappointing.

I have seen photos where people have done it with a "sharpie" marker pen that looked nice and I might go that way if I were to do it again.

edit: also, looking at those photos reminds me getting a professional to do it is no guarantee that they will do a perfect job. Sure, I don't have the technical skills to do the printing, but are they going to line up the grid perfectly, are they going to get it the right way round or 90 degrees off ?? etc

Post subject:
Post #3 Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:57 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
CnP wrote:
looking at those photos reminds me getting a professional to do it is no guarantee that they will do a perfect job.
That person is a professional screenprinter, not a professional goban maker.

Post #4 Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:43 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 5
I went the way of a marker, but I used a vinyl mask. Went crazy with the sharpie and then peeled the stickers. Worked great.
I did put a layer or two of Polycrylic first and then lightly sanded. You can get a matte Polycrylic to avoid the shine.

All the pics are http://uglyboxer.wordpress.com/2010/02/21/a-goban-revitalized/, on my otherwise defunct blog. :roll:

Post #5 Posted: Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Screen printing allows you to use precision you cannot get anywhere else. CNC or laser both have the limitations of affecting the wood fibers physically, incising the surface and the action is irrevocable.

The screen print applies a thick ink of your choice and creates a raised line much like the traditional keen edge application of lacquer alluded to in the Japanese fabrication.

A tshirt printer might not have a large enough screen table or rack. You want to be able to use a direct-to-screen method from an Adobe Illustrator file. You will want several pieces of practice material like masonite, fiberboard, MDF, whatever. Just make sure the practice surface is coated with the same protective medium you plan to use on the real thing.

And come back and tell us what you did. Photos would be cool.

Post #6 Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:20 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Universal go server handle: Belruel
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I wouldn't mind the inset lines on a piece of wood that is good, but not great. I wouldn't go that route if I was planning on making a really nice thick table goban or floor goban I think though. I'll have to research and compare prices between that and silkscreening (thanks for the tip that a sign maker would be better suited, also youch pricey).

Whatever I decide, which for my first one might simply be to buy some cheap MDF and draw them on myself if things get to costly, I'll make sure to come back and post pictures.

Post #7 Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
If you visit the useful links section of my blog, there is a link to a Japanese video on the making of a shogi floor board. Maybe that will give you some insights and inspiration.

Post #8 Posted: Thu May 17, 2012 11:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
CnP wrote:
I bought an old Japanese board (with legs) a while ago, sanded it down and then hit the lines issue. I also had a shogi board with legs that I used as a test subject :D (I still need to fix that.. - let's just say I now realise why you need to seal the wood before attempting to draw on the lines).In the end I took it to a professional screenprinter - not one that did tshirts but one that did signs. They used a very hard paint and I have not had any issues with it flaking off. It was pricey though as they had to prepare the screen and apparently it was quite tricky to do. It cost about 100 GBP :shock:

The value of quality craft is never in the cost. I do't know what you do for a living but I imagine you charge a fair price for your skills and experience. I certainly do. And I laugh at anyone who asks me for a reduction for any reason. I do pro bono but I don't do bargains.

CnP wrote:
The only issue was that part of the sanding process took off quite a bit of wood on the right side - because of a chip and you can see the grid only just fits on - so a bit disappointing.

Ah, I'd have used planes instead of abrasives and I might have considered the aesthetics of a choice between expanding the other dimensioon to maintain even spacing around the edges or of removing wood from the adjacent side.

CnP wrote:
edit: also, looking at those photos reminds me getting a professional to do it is no guarantee that they will do a perfect job. Sure, I don't have the technical skills to do the printing, but are they going to line up the grid perfectly, are they going to get it the right way round or 90 degrees off ?? etc

PUlling the squeegee across the screen is easy. It's creating the screen and knowing how the voids in the screen will pass the proposed printing medium, testing it on similar stock and then figuring out how to align it perfectly that all require the skill and experience. I will pay an expert for those skills.

Post #9 Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:30 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
KGS: hojoin
OGS: sojiro
bakekoq
Online playing schedule: wah,almost everyday in OGS right now.I still can't play in KGS because the limitness of my network.
wowh. I also want to make a goban business in the future.
I'll try some of ur ideas. using layer is good I think.