It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is a signature worth to you?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:38 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
On a book? On a goban? Just on a piece of paper?
Gu Li? Sedol? Yang?
Whose autograth do you want, on what object, and for how much?
Living only, or reacently deceased, please.

Post subject: Re: What is a signature worth to you?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:43 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Nothing! Not that I don't respect the players, but I have never understood wanting signatures or autographs of people.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:46 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
Neither do I.

Edit: I even consider it as a negative value, I'd prefer the same object with its natural finish, even if it costs a bit more.

Books signed by the author is acceptable if I know the author personnally and if it's a gift, and I accept signatures by the maker of the object (musical instruments for instance)

Last edited by lorill on Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:48 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
It doesn't do much for me. I would not refuse a book because it had a signature, but I wouldn't pay extra either. But I would not consider it new if it had anything written in it so to be considered for pruchase at full new book price it better be a signature of someone significant.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:57 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
A signature in itself does not mean anything to me. But if the signature reminds me of a significant memory, it might be nice to have.

For example, I have not met Lee Changho. But if I met him in person, and he signed a book for me, the book with the signature would remind me of the time that I met Lee Changho, and would be valuable to me.

However, if somebody else had a Lee Changho signed book, the signature wouldn't mean much to me, because it doesn't bring me any personal memories.

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: daniel_the_smith, Li Kao

Post #6 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:30 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
To me, an autograph means I've either met the person, or that they've personally touched the same object I now own.

I don't understand the value in mass produced/printed signatures (I have some, but they're not nearly as meaningful as personal signatures)

I remember once Nakayama Sensei seemed almost offended when someone wanted him to personally autograph his (already "signed") copy of Treasure Chest Enigma. Nakayama kept trying to tell the young man that the book already had his signature in it, but the young man wanted an "actual, handwritten autograph".

Post #7 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:04 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 353
KGS: freegame
It is a reminder of actually meeting someone. Therefore in my opinion a signed objects only has extra value to the person who asked for the autograph.
If I had the choice between an unsigned book and a signed one at E-bay or Amazon, I'd pick the unsighted one.
But if I bought the book in a shop and the author was there I'd ask him/her to autograph it.

How about handing out autographs?
Anyone "famous enough" to have handed out autographs to people?

Post #8 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:26 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 69
Was liked: 25
freegame wrote:

Not famous at all, but a few guys already asked after a concert. I think it was to mock me more than anything else :evil:

Post #9 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:28 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
If I see any of you at the Cotsen, I will be happy to give out autographs. I'll sign them, "Kirby, the infamous troll of the forums".

Post #10 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:40 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
i rather have a signature if it is from someone famous.
not copy! personal signature.

monitary value = $0 to me.
but someone might pay more for that signature 100 years after he die so there is a value in it.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #11 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:10 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
freegame wrote:
It is a reminder of actually meeting someone. Therefore in my opinion a signed objects only has extra value to the person who asked for the autograph.

Actually, this does raise an interesting point. I was thinking in terms of go books signed by someone I have never met. I don't have a book signed by a go player but I do have one of Isaac Asimov's books signed by him when I met him 36 years ago and it is a nice reminder of that meeting. I also have a couple of books signed by less famous authors when I met them and those have little significance for me.

Post #12 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:04 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
From a person who does own signed books by go players he has never met, I do value signatures of famous go players who are recognized as great masters of the past.

I have a book by Go Seigen signed by Go Seigen and I think it's wonderful. It was more of a pleasant surprise than anything else because I wasn't aware the book came with the signature when I ordered it used from Amazon JP.

I have a set of 5 old books signed by Segoe Kensaku with 2 beautiful calligraphy words on each book and I paid a premium for them. An unsigned set without the calligraphy was offered at much cheaper prices but just weren't as attractive.

I have a scroll by Takagawa Shukakuwith just a few calligraphy words on it.

I certainly haven't met the people above but they are such important personalities on the go scene that I did pay a premium for the privilege of owning a personalized work of theirs.

What I really think is really interesting is this old goban which I only have the pictures. Not an especially nice cut of wood nor is it in pristine condition, but you can be certain the owner bought for the signature and the calligraphy which goes along with it.

I have never seen one before, but suppose there was an autographed book signed by Honinbo Shusaku offered for sale somewhere, I bet there would be quite a few people interested in offering a huge premium to be the owner of such a book.

Calligraphy is actively collected in the Asian art marketplace. I don't see why it's not worthwhile to collect calligraphy works by great go masters I have never met. Although I wouldn't pay a nice premium for them unless they were very special though. Something like this prehaps? Alas, I only have the pictures.

So for living and recently deceased go players, I probably wouldn't value just an ordinary signature, but with nice thoughtful calligraphy that goes along with the signature, that's a different ballgame.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
DrStraw wrote:
It doesn't do much for me. I would not refuse a book because it had a signature, but I wouldn't pay extra either. But I would not consider it new if it had anything written in it so to be considered for pruchase at full new book price it better be a signature of someone significant.

First editions of books are often more valuable if signed by the author.

I wouldn't mind having a copy of Go Seigen's complete games, signed by him with an inscription addressed to me. I don't know if such exists but I would like to have a go board used during the Kamakura jubango signed by both Go and Kitani. I have fans autographed by Takemiya and Kato and I have a collection of name cards from pros I have met personally. I agree that autographs would be most meaningful to me if they wwere by someone I met or, in the case of the Go-Kitani board, related to a go event that I particularly admired. As for how much I'd pay, I almost certainly couldn't afford the signed board. The other stuff came cheap.

Post #14 Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:31 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 22
GD Posts: 10
KGS: usagi
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
On a book? On a goban? Just on a piece of paper?
Gu Li? Sedol? Yang?
Whose autograth do you want, on what object, and for how much?
Living only, or reacently deceased, please.

A signature implies endorsement, which imparts confidence.

If the book was signed for you, this is a vote of confidence for yourself. As such it can be very valuable to you.

-

Post #15 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:28 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 72
GD Posts: 1165
KGS: Dogen
I have a fair number of signed books, because I know a lot of authors. It is something special, even though, intrinsically, it means nothing.

For go, what would I like? Well, I have a picture of me with Takemiya, but maybe a signed book of Go Seigen's games would be nice.

For non-go: I would love to own a letter written by Ralph Waldo Emerson, or at least a first edition of one of his books. (I'm actually considering spending some money to buy one...) A letter written by Henry David Thoreau would be my second choice...

Post #16 Posted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:37 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
freegame wrote:
How about handing out autographs?

I play in a rock band and sometimes fans have asked me sign their CDs. It seems a little silly to me but it makes me feel important, so that's nice.

Also at work I sometimes sign our games and other equipment (as part of a group), often for charity auctions or something. That's not so much about me personally though.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:58 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
How you feel is just a matter of feeling, so it's ok whether you care or not. However, I wonder how many people saying that a signature is meaningless also don't care if they own antiques, or feel no interest in seeing something centuries old in a museum.

I don't actually own any signed go books, and I might not own any signed books period, but I'd be enthused if I came across one from an author I admire.

Post #18 Posted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 10
Personally, I've never been much interested in autographed items for their own sake, although in every collecting field in which I have been active there have been enough autograph collectors to significantly increase the price on signed items over similar unsigned items. Back when I was participating in organizing committees for science fiction conventions, authors I met and for whom I had done favors were genuinely baffled when they offered to sign some books to or for me and I declined.

However, my collection of go publications contains many items whose collectible and archival interest is enhanced by the associations with previous owners, and inscriptions play a major part in that. For example, Kenneth Stubbs was a part of early go history in the US, and I treasure books inscribed to him by the likes of Edward Lasker and Gilbert Rosenthal because of that history. Arthur Smith's copy of the Hirose Treatise on Go is a valuable association items, although in effect all five copies of that book are equally interesting that way, since all were made specifically for five of the most esteemed individuals in the tiny go community of 1911. Ted Drange's library contained a number of abstracts and unpublished papers by other academics which are of interest primarily because they represent the communication process among those academics writing about go. Lastly, Roger Newlander's early (1959) translations of Japanese go books are of extra interest to me because I got them from Mr. Newlander himself and they had been in effect his personal copies for a long period of time. These kinds of associations are important to me.

chiwito

Post #19 Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:01 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
chiwito: I'd be curious about any facts you'd share on those individuals. Also, do you know of any kind of written history of Go in America, or do you get that information mostly by chance while collecting associated books and papers?

Post #20 Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:01 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
IGS: Exologist
Kaya handle: Exologist
Unless of course if I signed something, then all ya'll would be adamant about getting hold of it. :P

If I paid more attentions to the pro world, I'd probably find it cool to get a signature in some manner, but I hardly know or keep up with these things.