It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Identifying Large Wooden Turtle Goban [For Sale]
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:09 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Hello, I have recently acquired this Goban of which I know very little about. It is carved of a large, single, solid piece of (unidentified) wood; the board itself seems to be carved from the solid piece and not inserted into the turtle. The colour of the playing section of the board is the natural colour/grain of the wood, as the rest is varnished/stained. The condition (rubbing, wear, marks) indicates it may be either vintage, antique or just heavily used. It is not ridiculously heavy, but has substantial weight.

I am not sure if the playing pieces are original or not, and they seem to be made of a type of glass. There are a few that are chipped, and looks similar to obsidian or volcanic glass, or like when you chip a thick piece of glass or a beer bottle.

I have asked elsewhere and done a bit of looking myself, and was referred to: http://6brothers.com/product/list.html?cate_no=123 made of Ginkgo wood and 20,000,000 won ($18,800 USD)

Imgur link: https://imgur.com/gallery/N6Jn1 (Sorry, I tried to link individual images but they are larger than the allowed 800 pixels)

I am looking to sell this, but I need to know more about the wood, potential age and maker if at all possible, and value....I see that some Gobans go for as little as $100 and as much as $100,000 so I would hate to under- or over-value. I have not cleaned, dusted, or done anything to it but was considering some touch ups where there is wear (my uncle is a carpenter). There is some tape on it that was used to secure the tile-wells which will easily come off, and there seems to be some natural cracks along the bottom of the turtle. Someone mentioned the wear could be desirable to someone looking for an antique, if that's indeed what this is, otherwise I would prefer to 'refurbish' it to add value to the condition.

Anything you can tell me about the wood type, possible age or manufacturer, and value is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Help Identifying Large Wooden Turtle Goban [For Sale]
Post #2 Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:51 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Did you ever learn about your go board turtle? Did you manage to sell it?

I ask because I have a similar turtle that I bought in 1983 in Hong Kong, but about which I know next to nothing!