Please PM me if you have either.

Thanks so much!
EH :D

Post subject: Re: Looking for Ing Stones and Citizen DIT-10 Clock
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
Just continuing the threads from FB and reddit...

ING Goe Stones and ING Goe Clocks were used by the tens of thousands at ING-sponsored competitions all over the world including some US Go Congresses in the 1990s. The Seattle Congress's sponsors graciously gave away many of the sets to representatives of clubs who were in attendance. I took home six sets, twelve bowls and stones, and I purchased one of the clocks. It was impossible to convince my playing partners back in Boise, Idaho, to adopt the ING Goe Rules set so the counting bowls were never used properly. We enjoyed playing with the stones, contrasting their thick mass and matte finish with our Japanese glass stones, and we dissected several. I'm pretty sure we decided the core was a drop of steel and not lead. Lead would have been both irresponsible and expensive while steel was ubiquitous in Taiwanese manufacturing, but, you know what, I've never seen a definitive assay of the core material. That would be an interesting part of the whole story. I gave at least three of the sets to a high school chess club and the rest went to good homes.Have not seen any of them for 15 or 20 years.

Hope you eventually find some. As a mass-produced giveaway from Taiwan, ING Goe Stones and Counting Bowls were super cool but not necessarily designed for heirloom status or longevity. I think they were easily binned because they had so little perceived value or they simply broke down and eventually discarded even if they had some appeal and historical worth due to ING's unique concept of Goe as a cultural mixing tool and the coolness of the artifacts themselves.

This post by bogiesan was liked by: Bill Spight