It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Richmond, VA, any takers?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:12 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Anyone in the Richmond and nearby areas (Chesterfield, Midlothian, etc.) interested in some real-life play? Or if we get enough people, to actually start a club in the area?

I'm not the best player out there, but still prefer to do games face-to-face, rather than on-line.

Post subject: Re: Richmond, VA, any takers?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:55 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
Slate & Shell is based in Richmond and last I hear it had several players who got together regularly. Contact Bill Cobb.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:37 pm 
Beginner

What's ironic here is that the first book about Go I ever purchased was published by them, and I didn't even know they were locally based. While Slate & Shell seems to have an online presence, the Richmond GO Club is rather lacking. Guess I'll swing by the S&S offices tomorrow and see if I can find out anything.

Thanks for the tidbit, it's a piece of gold. While I was quite willing to start my own club, it is a relief to know there is already one in place, and active players in the area.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I wouldn't "swing by". Bill runs it out of his home. Send him an e-mail or call him.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:28 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
i will be stationed in Fort Lee 2 years later :)
i am sure i will visit when i get there.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:37 am 
Beginner

Yea, I put the address I found for the place on Google Maps earlier, and out of habit, decided to look at the satellite overlay and quickly discovered that it very much looked like a private residence. As I don't know him, I decided dropping by unannounced (or uninvited) was out of the question.

Anyways, now that I have a name to work with, I found an email address for him that hopefully isn't too old, and I can get some information in regards to the local club.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:43 am 
Beginner

Magicwand wrote:

I occasionally head over to Ft. Lee, as I like their VA resources better than the ones available here (and because I still like to poke around the PX). Whenever you do get in the area, shoot a message my way, and I'll try to hook you up with any local resources I've managed to dig up.

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:04 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
lemmingofevil wrote:
Magicwand wrote:

I occasionally head over to Ft. Lee, as I like their VA resources better than the ones available here (and because I still like to poke around the PX). Whenever you do get in the area, shoot a message my way, and I'll try to hook you up with any local resources I've managed to dig up.

i sure will! thanks

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #9 Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 pm 
Beginner

Some bad news from Mr. Cobb. The Richmond Go Club is no more. This puts me back in the situation of looking for any interested players in the area.

I tried looking up the VCU Go club as well, but while still listed on the AGA webpage, I dug through the June 2010 Chapters list and it appears to have gone the way of the dinosaur.

While digging, I did see a couple listings of AGA chapter clubs consisting of one member each throughout the country. Looks like I found a like-minded crowd, whose example I may follow. That, or take up chess.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:22 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
lemmingofevil wrote:
Some bad news from Mr. Cobb. The Richmond Go Club is no more. This puts me back in the situation of looking for any interested players in the area.

I tried looking up the VCU Go club as well, but while still listed on the AGA webpage, I dug through the June 2010 Chapters list and it appears to have gone the way of the dinosaur.

While digging, I did see a couple listings of AGA chapter clubs consisting of one member each throughout the country. Looks like I found a like-minded crowd, whose example I may follow. That, or take up chess.

Try contacting the NOVA (Northern Virginia) Go Club. Though it's out of your area it IS active and people there might know something about the Richmond area.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 14
lemmingofevil wrote:

Don't do that!

In case you haven't already, do sign up at Igolocal - the more people who sign up the more chance there is that it'll work. :) And teach your friends; with a bit of luck, one of them will be keen enough for you to set up a more practical club between you (my experience is that word of mouth is by an enormous margin the most effective recruitment method there is). And, of course, thank anything you care to thank that you live in a decade where you can play online when you can't find an OTB opponent. :D

(Edit: dammit, URLs keep catching me out.)