It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hikaru No Go ends
Post #1 Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 1:36 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 136
The final volume, HNG #23, has been released by VIZ. Are any of you planning to recognize this event? The Boise Go Club meets at a game shop where lots of manga and anime fans gather to play those weird card and board games. The owner of the shop is a HNG fan and is open to the suggestion of marking the end of the series.
Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Hikaru No Go ends
Post #2 Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:11 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 127
Was liked: 123
GD Posts: 292
KGS: RedBeard
DGS: Akahige
bogiesan wrote:
The final volume, HNG #23, has been released by VIZ. Are any of you planning to recognize this event? The Boise Go Club meets at a game shop where lots of manga and anime fans gather to play those weird card and board games. The owner of the shop is a HNG fan and is open to the suggestion of marking the end of the series.
Any ideas?

I don't think there is anything more "Hikaru" like than team tournaments (other than unrequited Yaoi of course). A Hikaru themed team tournament would be fun. You could even have some people playing Go and inexperienced players playing Atari Go on the same team.

Post #3 Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:
The final volume, HNG #23, has been released by VIZ.

It's not quite the end. There was a 24th Japanese volume called "Gorgeous Characters Guide" (they used that "English" for the title themselves*). It's in manga format and is quite a lot thicker than the normal story volumes. It doesn't have a story itself, of course, but adds a lot of background to the original story.

There are, of course, various HNG spinoffs, but this one is different in that it is in exactly the same format as the 23 episode books, and is clearly meant to be part of the original series.

*The explanation is that they wrote Gorgeous as 碁ジャス. Maybe that doesn't work too well for American accents but it's fine for Brits.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Kirby

Post #4 Posted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:07 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

It's not quite the end. There was a 24th Japanese volume called "Gorgeous Characters Guide" (they used that "English" for the title themselves*). It's in manga format and is quite a lot thicker than the normal story volumes. It doesn't have a story itself, of course, but adds a lot of background to the original story.

I recommend this "book". If I recall, it also includes game records of some of the matches from the show. I suppose you can find them (the matches) online these days, but it's still a pretty cool book to have.

Post #5 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:07 am 
Lives in gote

Redbeard wrote:
I don't think there is anything more "Hikaru" like than team tournaments (other than unrequited Yaoi of course). A Hikaru themed team tournament would be fun. You could even have some people playing Go and inexperienced players playing Atari Go on the same team.

Thanks. Had not thought of that.

bogiesan

Post #6 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:15 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

There are, of course, various HNG spinoffs, but this one is different in that it is in exactly the same format as the 23 episode books, and is clearly meant to be part of the original series.

While many HNG fans have heard of the Gorgeous Characters volume, there are no easily available copies. Sometimes it shows up on eBay from Australian comic dealers. Postage alone makes it a luxurious collection-completer. VIZ LLC shows no suggestion they will ever publish this volume in English but they might repackage the HNG series as larger format collections like Deathnote.

I am not aware of any of the spinoffs to which you refer unless you mean the fan-generated stuff. Links?

bogiesan

Post #7 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:48 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I've seen many copies available at Japanese bookstores in the US. If anyone wants it, look for Kinokuniya in major cities. If you're lucky and live in NYC area or Southern California, you can head to Book Off and likely get a copy for $1.

Post #8 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:38 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
oren wrote:
I've seen many copies available at Japanese bookstores in the US. If anyone wants it, look for Kinokuniya in major cities. If you're lucky and live in NYC area or Southern California, you can head to Book Off and likely get a copy for $1.

They have bookoffs in the USA? That's pretty nifty. I wonder if my old card from 2005 still works.

Post #9 Posted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:09 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Kirby wrote:

They have bookoffs in the USA? That's pretty nifty. I wonder if my old card from 2005 still works.

No, they've actually gotten rid of the cards which is a shame. I tried.

http://www.bookoffusa.com/

Post #10 Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:08 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 1
GD Posts: 146
KGS: Thomato
Online playing schedule: Inconsistent
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

*The explanation is that they wrote Gorgeous as 碁ジャス. Maybe that doesn't work too well for American accents but it's fine for Brits.

death note did the same thing with their 13th book.