It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Grand Rapids, MI Go Club
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:49 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 3
There was a Go Club in Grand Rapids for quite a few years, but apparently in the last year or so it was decommissioned. My friend and I are starting our own Grand Rapids Go Club next week, and we intend to be there every week.

The time is Tuesday at 7PM. It will be at the D&W Fresh Market in Breton Village, we will meet in the dining area inside of the grocery store.

The address for the store is:

1814 Breton Rd
Grand Rapids, MI 49506

This post by jortgonfreit was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re: New Grand Rapids, MI Go Club
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:08 pm 
Dies in gote

Was liked: 35
GD Posts: 265
KGS: jmp
IGS: jmpr
Good to see a go club again in GR. The current Kalamazoo club had some members with connections to the old one.

Funny how you are meeting at a D&W. We met at a D&W in Portage for years and still do when Western Michigan isn't in session. It is a decent playing environment but very little walk by interest as compared to a university or bookstore.

The best of luck.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:23 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
I was googling my go club (in a completely different part of the country) and discovered that there have been two previous iterations, each meeting in the same coffee shop as the current one. It's rather ghostly to think how many go clubs are following in the footsteps of identical, earlier clubs.

This post by jts was liked by: Bonobo

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:23 pm 
Beginner

In the next month or so I plan to have a website up, as well as have my club registered with AGA. To avoid confusion with the previous club in Grand Rapids, I will probably call the club the "West Michigan Go Club".

I actually was at the last club session that the Kalamazoo Go Club held at D&W. I decided that night I was going to check out all the D&W's around GR to see which one would best suit our needs, and the one in Breton Village seemed best. It's easy to get to, it's close to the center of GR, and it has a very large dining area to play Go in while remaining semi-private.

In the future, if turnout is decent, I plan to hold at least one tournament per year. I expect to be able to get a conference room at the Kirkhof Center on the GVSU Allendale Campus, or get a
conference room in the main branch of the Grand Rapids Public Library.

Hopefully I see some activity soon. I was able to get the head of the previous club to e-mail his old members to notify them of our new club, I got Paul from the Kzoo Club to e-mail his members, and I was able to get the head of the GVSU club to e-mail their members. I'm going to go around to the local high schools and ask if they have any anime or Asian oriented clubs, and maybe get myself into one of their meetings to tell them about our Go club.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:20 am 
Beginner

We had a great turnout last night. A total of 7 people showed up, and I know for a fact that 4 others could not show up for a variety of different reasons.

I've created a FB page and twitter if anyone is interested. Here are the links:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/westmigoclub/

https://twitter.com/westmigoclub

I hope to see a lot more people next week, and am very optimistic about the club's future.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Too bad... I just moved away! Maybe i'll stop by if i am ever in the area.