It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: request to check for cheating devices at US Open Masters
Post #1 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
At about two hours and twelve minutes into this video (https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1553078699), they are discussing the Board 1 game, and state that Han Han 5p asked to have his opponent (Alex Qi 1p) checked for cheating devices.

Wonder what that was all about. Perhaps he asks that all of his opponents be checked?

Post subject: Re: request to check for cheating devices at US Open Masters
Post #2 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:36 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
The AGA webpage has a post on the front page (I don't know how to make permalink) that says he asked for his opponents glasses to be inspected. It is not clear why the tournament director then proceeded to interrupt the game to inspect said glasses but the game was resumed after the glasses were inspected. I am not sure if the report on the AGA webpage should be interpreted literally but it sounds like an irregularity to me. Why inspect the glasses at all and why not then finish the game and inspect the glasses afterwards? How do people think this should be handled?

Post #3 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:55 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Only if Alex could demand for Han to remove his pants too check for AI haptic feedback.

Best leave this for post game.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:47 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 488
Smart glasses might help to cheat. I don't think smart underwear would be of any use in a go tournament.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:05 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 314
Well you'd think so, but there was a case of cheating in the Othello world, the cheat hid something in the leg of his trousers.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:45 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4620
Perhaps checks during a game make sense for evidential purposes, e.g. before a cheater can go to the lavatory during the endgame to get rid of his device.

But since asking for a check during play could be seen as mind games against the opponent, should we consider a scheme (a bit like Ing's "lose 2 points for extra time") where the person requesting the check has to pay some points if the check proves unsuccessful?

As this might embolden cheaters, it would presumably only work, of course, if penalties for cheating are draconian. But so they should be in any case.

I wonder, too, whether a register of those who make repeated cheating allegations and of those who do cheat (or refuse to be searched) should be kept.

All a bit over the top, I agree, but as the recent pandemic has shown, sometimes drastic action is needed when a plague threatens.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
I went back and rewatched the Twitch video from the beginning. At around 1:16:30, Han Han gets up from the table and walks away, and returns shortly. Then a few minutes later, the TD comes over, asks Alex to remove his glasses, Han Han inspects them, and the game goes on. Weird.