All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Top players at congress
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:09 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Based on the who's coming list, it seems like the field is a bit small this year (list here: http://www.gocongress.org/list.php?o=rddalafacasa). There are 25 players listed as being eligible for the open section (7d and above), but that includes Japanese professionals who never (as far as I know) play, and one 9d entry that I think is fictitious.

There are several perenial contenders missing (i.e. Zhaonian Chen, Andy Liu). Among professionals, we're also missing Feng Yun, it seems. Any given player might have all sorts of reasons, but given the overall small pool, I wonder if there are issues with the location or economic conditions.

No bigger point, but I'm always interested to see who will compete at the US Open.

Post subject: Re: Top players at congress
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:03 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
There are only 3 9Ps listed. I've met M Kim in person, and Hane appears to be too well documented to be a fake. That leaves Seong-yong Kim, who has no traces on the net under that spelling. There does seem to be a north Korean soccer player by that name.

To anyone who reads Korean: is the spelling correct? Could it be Kim SeungJun 9p?

EDIT: I misread the OP. It is the 9D named 'Meyer' who may have gotten a battlefield promotion.

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
If it is really an authentic and current 9p, I would guess that it might be 김성룡 (http://www.baduk.or.kr/information/info ... n=1&gdiv=2), because this is sometimes romanized as "Kim Seong-yong" (though some people might prefer to throw an "r" in there to get something like "Kim Seong-ryong"). If I recall correctly, the old "hemmy" (what's believed to be 김성룡's old account) account from KGS - which is now expired and taken by someone else - used this exact spelling (Kim Seong-yong) in the profile information.

While romanization of Korean names is often varied, I think it's unlikely that "Kim SeungJun" would spell his name this way using English characters. I think it's much more likely that it's 김성룡 (Kim Seong-ryong).

If it is, it'd be pretty awesome, as 김성룡 9d is an excellent player, as well as a great BadukTV commentator... It makes me wonder if I made a mistake in deciding not to come to congress this year.

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:30 pm 
Tengen

Yes, it was Mr. Meyer who I meant.

I just realized that Hane Yasumasa will have a long time lock on "Congress participant with the strongest child".

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:49 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 62
Was liked: 505
KGS: magicwand
Tygem: magicwand
Wbaduk: rlatkfkd
DGS: magicwand
OGS: magicwand
Kirby wrote:
If it is really an authentic and current 9p, I would guess that it might be 김성룡 (http://www.baduk.or.kr/information/info ... n=1&gdiv=2), because this is sometimes romanized as "Kim Seong-yong" (though some people might prefer to throw an "r" in there to get something like "Kim Seong-ryong"). If I recall correctly, the old "hemmy" (what's believed to be 김성룡's old account) account from KGS - which is now expired and taken by someone else - used this exact spelling (Kim Seong-yong) in the profile information.

While romanization of Korean names is often varied, I think it's unlikely that "Kim SeungJun" would spell his name this way using English characters. I think it's much more likely that it's 김성룡 (Kim Seong-ryong).

If it is, it'd be pretty awesome, as 김성룡 9d is an excellent player, as well as a great BadukTV commentator... It makes me wonder if I made a mistake in deciding not to come to congress this year.

i am sorry to disagree with you on this.
he is not a strong professional. (i believe his ranking is not in top 100 profesional)
and he is hated by many many viewer who have seen his comment. (i am one of the hater)
his quality of comment reflect his lack of go knowledge and his running mouth offends many viewer like me.
i have no idea why they hire him as a commentator.

Words by neil peart, music by geddy lee and alex lifeson

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:56 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Magicwand wrote:
his quality of comment reflect his lack of go knowledge and his running mouth offends many viewer like me.

Oh boy!... ;)

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:14 pm 
Tengen

Magicwand wrote:
he is not a strong professional. (i believe his ranking is not in top 100 profesional)
and he is hated by many many viewer who have seen his comment. (i am one of the hater)

You lose: http://valeriosampieri.spaces.live.com/ ... 296.entry; http://senseis.xmp.net/?KingOfKings; He is ranked in the same range as Rui Naiwei or Seo Bongsoo. Of course, they are past their prime, but they're good enough for you to listen to.

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:52 pm 
Judan

I think Hyperpape meant http://senseis.xmp.net/?KingOfKings without the semicolon
and http://valeriosampieri.spaces.live.com/ ... 1296.entry ( Kim is #68 )

hyperpape wrote:
...they're good enough for you to listen to.

Violence is good enough for Magicwand to listen to. :lol:

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:12 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
7 Cheng Xiaoliu 6P

wow, i like his series about tesuji and ancient games. How I wish I could be there this year!

Post #10 Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:29 pm 
Tengen

hyperpape wrote:
Magicwand wrote:

You lose: http://valeriosampieri.spaces.live.com/ ... 296.entry; http://senseis.xmp.net/?KingOfKings; He is ranked in the same range as Rui Naiwei or Seo Bongsoo. Of course, they are past their prime, but they're good enough for you to listen to.

i didnt lose. i dont give damm what his ranking is.
dont make any comment about what i think of him unless you speak fluent korean and have listened to his dumbass comments.
i believe more than 50% of the people actually hate his comment. (what i gathered from other viewers comment about kim)

Post #11 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:02 am 
Tengen

Like who you want--I do not have an opinion on his commentary. But you are the one who took it further, falsely denigrating the strength of a professional. Next time, try saying "I don't like his commentary" without mouthing off about his strength. It could be an enlightening experience.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:53 pm 
Tengen

Helel wrote:
@Magicwand:
Could you enlighten us non-Koreans what kind of comments causes this kind of hatred? I assume it's not merely ignorance of the game. ;-)

i will try to find one and translate.

Post #13 Posted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:48 pm 
Judan

hyperpape wrote:
Yes, it was Mr. Meyer who I meant...

I'm here at Congress, and there is a real live person named Francis Meyer. Last I saw he was playing Burral 7D and it looked like a competitive game.

Post #14 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:11 am 
Tengen

Interesting that Mr. Meyer is a high dan--I've looked around and found no references to him elsewhere. I do wonder why he registered as 9d, since that's quite an elite club.

Post #15 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 45
Was liked: 103
KGS: redundant/silchas
Tygem: redundant
Wbaduk: redundant
DGS: redundant
OGS: redundant
From what I just read on the kgs broadcast of Meyer's game against Myungwan, it seems that Meyer was born in the U.S. and lived in Japan. He became an insei there, and has just moved to Colorado for school.

Post #16 Posted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:27 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
Kim Seong-yong recently sat down with Chris Garlock for an interview in the E-Journal. The result of that will be posted in the EJ soon.

Post #17 Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:46 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Now I understand Magicwand's dislike for Seong-Yong Kim 9P

AGA E-Journal wrote:
RUDE, CRUDE AND INCREDIBLY ENTERTAINING
Aug 03, 2010 06:22 pm | Chris Garlock

Go commentator Seong-Yong Kim 9P once got a very long and formal letter from a viewer admonishing him to “Be quiet!” Kim chuckled happily. For fifteen years he’s been shaking up the go commentary world with his pungent – and entertaining – commentaries. “People call me rude and say ‘that guy’s too loud,’” Kim told the E-Journal Tuesday afternoon at the U.S. Go Congress, where he’s one of the roster of visiting professionals. “Now,” he smiled broadly “they love it.” When Kim – who was Best Rookie of the Year in 1995, semi-finalist in the 1996 Samsung Cup, and won the 2004 Electronic Land Cup and the first King of Kings tournament – first began, “TV go commentaries used the Japanese style, very formal, and focused on technical details. They would only talk about the good moves, to be polite.” But during a 1993 visit to the United States, Kim – an avid baseball fan — admired the lively style of American baseball commentators on television, and thought it could be applied to go, which was now being treated as a sport back home in Korea. “So if I thought a move was a mistake, I’d say so, bluntly.” Initial audience response was uniformly negative, so much so that Baduk TV had to shut down their website’s comment section to avoid crashing the server. But Kim kept at it, filling the long empty spaces between moves, not just with his pungent commentary, but detailed background on the players and the moves, “when a move was first invented, and how trends have changed over the years.” Figuring that baseball’s fascination with stats would also translate well to go, he compiled over a thousand pages of statistics about the game and players, “What kind of joseki a particular players uses, the openings he favors, how many times he’s played black or white.” All commentators use stats now, Kim said, and they can reveal fascinating insights. “Lee Changho 9P says he prefers to play black, but the stats show that he has a higher winning percentage as white.” They also show that in a close game, Lee Changho – well-known for his strong endgame – “has a 90% chance of winning.” Kim is so popular that he’s done commentary for several Korean baseball games, which he says was much easier than go. “In baseball, it’s all about what’s already happened, while in go we’re trying to figure out what might happen.” Five years after receiving the “Be quiet” letter, Kim ran into the fan, who enthusiastically shook his hand, apologized for his letter and thanked him for helping generate interest in go with his “interesting, lively and frank” commentaries. “Hey, things change,” Kim – who also now does game commentaries on CyberOro and Tygem — shrugged with another broad smile.
- report by Chris Garlock, photos by Todd Heidenreich. Special thanks to Jonathan Kim 1D for translation

I think I like what he's trying to do :)

Post #18 Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:18 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
I like Kim Seong-ryong. I attended a baduk event in Daegu, and he was speaking there. He noticed that I was a foreigner in the crowd, and was very kind to me. He also gave me some baduk materials for free.

I have seen him on BadukTV a few times commentating both for go and for Batoo. I still think that he is a nice guy.

I am not fluent in Korean, though. I can get some basic meaning from what is being said, but there are still many words that I don't know.

Still, I have no reason to dislike him at this point. My opinion may be biased by my experience in meeting him.

Edit: Also, he may not be at the top of the top in Korean go these days, but he is still certainly strong.

Magicwand wrote:
...i believe his ranking is not in top 100 profesional)

For example, from this set of total rankings (although, yes, it's not only for the current year), he places 45th:
http://www.baduk.or.kr/record/total.asp?jan=2&cntnum=50

Post #19 Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:16 am 
Tengen

AGA E-Journal wrote:

“TV go commentaries used the Japanese style, very formal, and focused on technical details. They would only talk about the good moves, to be polite.” But during a 1993 visit to the United States, Kim – an avid baseball fan — admired the lively style of American baseball commentators on television, and thought it could be applied to go, which was now being treated as a sport back home in Korea. “So if I thought a move was a mistake, I’d say so, bluntly.

Actually, he kinda sounds like Magicwand's kind of guy...

Post #20 Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 216
hyperpape wrote:
AGA E-Journal wrote:

“TV go commentaries used the Japanese style, very formal, and focused on technical details. They would only talk about the good moves, to be polite.” But during a 1993 visit to the United States, Kim – an avid baseball fan — admired the lively style of American baseball commentators on television, and thought it could be applied to go, which was now being treated as a sport back home in Korea. “So if I thought a move was a mistake, I’d say so, bluntly.

Actually, he kinda sounds like Magicwand's kind of guy...

There can only be one! :lol: