It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All AGA Members tournament
Post #1 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:10 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 41
Was liked: 87
GD Posts: 111
In the members memo Allan Abramson, AGA president, said that Young Kwan would be sponsoring a tournament for AGA all members.

Quote:
Young Kwon has graciously donated funds for our first annual Young Kwon National Open Online Tournament, to be held at the end of Jan and the beginning of Feb. This event truly is open to all AGA members, and prizes will be awarded in each section, starting with 35 kyu all the way up to our top players.

As I do pay attention to the feed on usgo.org, I noticed this is no longer the case.

http://www.usgo.org/news/2010/12/young- ... in-prizes/
Quote:
Registration is now open for the first-ever Young Kwon National Online Tournament, featuring a prize fund of nearly $3,000. The tournament, sponsored by Young Kwon, will be held online beginning January 22, 2011. “The purpose is to promote the game of go in the United States,” Mr. Kwon told the E-Journal. The 5-round tournament is open to all current AGA members, from 35 kyu to professionals, and eligibility rules include at least six months of residence in the U.S. in 2010.
- Edward Zhang, AGA National Tournament Coordinator

I can only wonder what happened from the beginning of the month (I got the email on Dec 2) to when the EJ reported this news on Dec 16. I am wondering what Young Kwan thinks "all members" mean.

How many Canadians, Mexicans, and overseas AGA members will not be able to play in this tournament due to the eligibility requirement? How many new members wont be able to play now...

...Nick, this is where I expect you to jump right in.

Post subject: Re: All AGA Members tournament
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
vash3g wrote:
How many Canadians, Mexicans, and overseas AGA members will not be able to play in this tournament due to the eligibility requirement? How many new members wont be able to play now...

Well apparently I won't be able to play, despite shelling out for a life membership. Remind me again why I should support the AGA?

Post #3 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:36 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
pwaldron wrote:
vash3g wrote:

Well apparently I won't be able to play, despite shelling out for a life membership. Remind me again why I should support the AGA?

Have you thought about joining the IGA?

Post #4 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:17 pm 
Lives with ko

Javaness wrote:
pwaldron wrote:
vash3g wrote:

Pwaldron is life member AGAID 28

Post #5 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:49 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
Javaness wrote:

Right now I'm not feeling very charitable to the go world in general so I'll pass. The AGA's playbook seems to be that yes, we're happy to take your money for a life membership, and we'd be even more pleased if you'd volunteer your time, but you're still not a "real" AGA member.

I'm through with them; a pox on their house...

Post #6 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:08 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
This sort of thing makes me glad I am no longer a member. After all the Phil had done for the AGA, including the life membership, this is just a slap in the face to him and all hard working members. I think it time to start a campaign to discourage everyone from playing in this tournament.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:11 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 41
I think the rule is just there to prevent foreign people signing up just to pocket cash, maybe it could do with a little refinement ^^*

Post #8 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:28 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Javaness wrote:
I think the rule is just there to prevent foreign people signing up just to pocket cash, maybe it could do with a little refinement ^^*

Yeah, somewhat my fault. With a decent top purse prize, I asked what they would do if a strong amateur from overseas signed up for AGA membership just to try to win this prize.

Post subject: time of day?
Post #9 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:06 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
I need more details on the time of day the games would be held. Or is that negotiated with your opponent? The details aren't out there yet.

On the U.S. Resident restriction, I strongly disagree. Unless I'm mistaken, there is currently nothing to prevent a non-AGA member from another country from physically showing up at the U.S. Open and winning it, for example. In the past, I've seen players attempt to do so and come very close. Of course, it's easier to participate online than to travel to the U.S., but you'd still have to play the rounds. There's some commitment there. Having some strong outsiders in the pool is not a bad thing, IMHO, but if there is a real concern about "ringers" there should be a way to allow AGA members outside the U.S. to participate. For example, allow anyone who either meets the residency requirement or has played in a physical U.S. tournament in the past year (or is a life member, etc.). That would eliminate the vast majority of foreign ringers. If you want to be less formal, have a method to request the TD for an exception to the residency rule so a player can participate. (However, considering the history of the AGA, leaving that decision up to one person would probably create controversy.)

Post #10 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:14 pm 
Oza

Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
oren wrote:
Javaness wrote:

Yeah, somewhat my fault. With a decent top purse prize, I asked what they would do if a strong amateur from overseas signed up for AGA membership just to try to win this prize.

Easy. Either 6-months of residence or 6-months of membership.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:51 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
vash3g wrote:
In the members memo Allan Abramson, AGA president, said that Young Kwan would be sponsoring a tournament for AGA all members.

Quote:
Young Kwon has graciously donated funds for our first annual Young Kwon National Open Online Tournament, to be held at the end of Jan and the beginning of Feb. This event truly is open to all AGA members, and prizes will be awarded in each section, starting with 35 kyu all the way up to our top players.

As I do pay attention to the feed on usgo.org, I noticed this is no longer the case.

http://www.usgo.org/news/2010/12/young- ... in-prizes/
Quote:
Registration is now open for the first-ever Young Kwon National Online Tournament, featuring a prize fund of nearly $3,000. The tournament, sponsored by Young Kwon, will be held online beginning January 22, 2011. “The purpose is to promote the game of go in the United States,” Mr. Kwon told the E-Journal. The 5-round tournament is open to all current AGA members, from 35 kyu to professionals, and eligibility rules include at least six months of residence in the U.S. in 2010.
- Edward Zhang, AGA National Tournament Coordinator

I can only wonder what happened from the beginning of the month (I got the email on Dec 2) to when the EJ reported this news on Dec 16. I am wondering what Young Kwan thinks "all members" mean.

I think the change was a mistake

Its being discussed "offline" as we speak.

Stay tuned for possible corrections to the announcement.
I hope I'm not speaking out of turn here, but I just wanted to try an calm the masses a little bit.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:08 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Glad to hear it. If it should prove not to be a mere error, a grandfathering clause in the spirit of Dr. Straw's proposal would still suffice for any legitimate purpose the residency requirement might serve.

As for the US Open, Myungwan Kim moved to the US and won the open not long thereafter (certainly less than a year), while Yongfei Ge has won twice despite being Canadian. It's a truly open tournament, so more power to the both of them.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:41 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
DrStraw wrote:
oren wrote:
Javaness wrote:

Easy. Either 6-months of residence or 6-months of membership.

I agree with this. Why should we try to prevent "foreign people" from participating? I don't like that kind of discrimination. If we want to promote the AGA, having a membership requirement seems more logical than a requirement of where you are on the globe.

Post #14 Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:04 pm 
Oza

turns out, this is not an AGA requirement, but rather its a requirement of the sponsor - Young Kwon.

however, the issue of allowing lifetime members outside the US is still being discussed (as far as I know so far). Hopefully the final ruling will be published soon.

Post #15 Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:00 am 
Oza

xed_over wrote:
turns out, this is not an AGA requirement, but rather its a requirement of the sponsor - Young Kwon.

Then I think the AGA should disassociate itself with the tournament. Let him run it by himself.

Post #16 Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:37 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 163
Was liked: 62
DrStraw wrote:
xed_over wrote:

Then I think the AGA should disassociate itself with the tournament. Let him run it by himself.

I find this comment really disrespectful to both Young Kwon and the AGA.

Honestly, has anyone who is personally impacted by this rule made a personal appeal for an exception? Did we even give the AGA a chance to respond or perhaps even be gracious about it?

Or we just started in with assumptions and complaints?

Effective communication is a two way street.

Post #17 Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:09 pm 
Oza

xed_over wrote:

the only news I've heard so far is that this requirement will remain.

Post #18 Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:05 pm 
Lives with ko

rubin427 wrote:
Effective communication is a two way street.

The AGA has a serious problem in this area. I would like to point out that we are STILL waiting on an official board statement about the dissolution of the 10 game rule...

I don't want to get back into that again.

This post by vash3g was liked by: xed_over