It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's happening with the 2014 US Go Congress?
Post #1 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:07 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
This website http://www.gocongress.org/2014 is the only thing I've seen that's at all official looking and it seems that they are way behind in getting ready for it. For example it is almost March and registration is not open yet, though they've advertised a discount for early registration. There is no info about pros. Apparently you have to go to the hotel website to reserve a room but there is nothing I could find on the Hotel Pennsylvania website about the Congress and I'd assume there is some sort of special rate for congress participants.

Is there really going to be a US Congress this year?

Post subject: Re: What's happening with the 2014 US Go Congress?
Post #2 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 157
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: skydyr
Online playing schedule: When my wife is out.
There's a lot more information there than there was a month or two ago, so I imagine things are progressing. Given the shorter timeframe due to the change of cities last summer, I'm not entirely surprised that things are taking longer than they have in the past.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:04 am 
Gosei

skydyr wrote:
There's a lot more information there than there was a month or two ago, so I imagine things are progressing. Given the shorter timeframe due to the change of cities last summer, I'm not entirely surprised that things are taking longer than they have in the past.

I just checked the AGA page for the congress and there is essentially nothing there except the dates and venue. It's hard to imagine how this could be significant progress from two months ago. Maybe there's another website? I hope there will be real progress soon. People need firm, detailed information, including cost, to make plans to attend. Many people use vacation time to go to the congress and that has to be arranged several months ahead of time.

Post #4 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I won't be going, but I have to wonder how many can afford to spend a week in a hotel in Manhattan.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:27 am 
Oza

DrStraw wrote:
I won't be going, but I have to wonder how many can afford to spend a week in a hotel in Manhattan.

According to the site, at least, the costs look pretty affordable. Comparable to past congresses, anyways.

Post #6 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:57 pm 
Gosei

gowan wrote:
skydyr wrote:

I just checked the AGA page for the congress and there is essentially nothing there except the dates and venue. It's hard to imagine how this could be significant progress from two months ago. Maybe there's another website? I hope there will be real progress soon. People need firm, detailed information, including cost, to make plans to attend. Many people use vacation time to go to the congress and that has to be arranged several months ahead of time.

I found the costs under that header but still no information on how to get a room at the congress rates. Do we have to call the hotel? The hotel website has no information about special rates or the US Go Congress. They do have a registration option for "group" but it requires a special code, which is not available on the go congress site. And what about food? Are we on our own for food? That could be a major additional expense if we have to eat off site, unless we eat all our meals at McDonalds or the equivalent.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:39 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
gowan wrote:
And what about food? Are we on our own for food? That could be a major additional expense if we have to eat off site, unless we eat all our meals at McDonalds or the equivalent.

Which is even more expensive when you have factored in the additional health care costs in the future. :)

Post #8 Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:59 am 
Oza

gowan wrote:
gowan wrote:
skydyr wrote:

I found the costs under that header but still no information on how to get a room at the congress rates. Do we have to call the hotel? The hotel website has no information about special rates or the US Go Congress. They do have a registration option for "group" but it requires a special code, which is not available on the go congress site. And what about food? Are we on our own for food? That could be a major additional expense if we have to eat off site, unless we eat all our meals at McDonalds or the equivalent.

For the rooms, at least, in the past you would select them as part of your registration and don't deal directly with the venue at all. I'm curious about the food too. Has anyone inquired with Matthew?

One thing to note, though, is that there is great street food all around midtown manhattan. Finding something cheap and relatively decent shouldn't be too hard if you wander for a couple blocks.

Lastly, who else is going to 'enjoy the mountain air'? ;)

Post #9 Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:46 am 
Gosei

I see there is an introductory page on the website now that clarifies the food situation. There is no meal plan. That will be more expensive than the previous congresses that had meals on site included in the fee. The rooms at the Hotel Pennsylvania are "being negotiated" so that would seem to mean that the prices quoted are not firm (maybe lower, maybe higher?). No matter what, it seems like it's going to cost a lot if you want a single room. In that case maybe you can do better off site. I'm afraid that this congress is too rich for my blood. At my age I need a single room, I don't want to eat "street food", and on top of the expensive accomodations and congress fees there would be an expensive airline ticket to be bought. I'm estimating that the total cost for the congress for me would be around $2000 (or more). If the AGA is willing to have a congress that is this expensive to attend I'm going to save my money for one in Hawaii ;)

Post #10 Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:17 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
gowan wrote:
If the AGA is willing to have a congress that is this expensive to attend I'm going to save my money for one in Hawaii ;)

You just missed the BIBA Hawaii camp http://www.bibabaduk.net/index.php?p=pContent&mid=24 :). You can see some pictures on Diana Koszegi's facebook.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:32 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
gowan wrote:
I see there is an introductory page on the website now that clarifies the food situation. There is no meal plan. That will be more expensive than the previous congresses that had meals on site included in the fee. The rooms at the Hotel Pennsylvania are "being negotiated" so that would seem to mean that the prices quoted are not firm (maybe lower, maybe higher?). No matter what, it seems like it's going to cost a lot if you want a single room. In that case maybe you can do better off site. I'm afraid that this congress is too rich for my blood. At my age I need a single room, I don't want to eat "street food", and on top of the expensive accomodations and congress fees there would be an expensive airline ticket to be bought. I'm estimating that the total cost for the congress for me would be around $2000 (or more). If the AGA is willing to have a congress that is this expensive to attend I'm going to save my money for one in Hawaii ;)

While it is admittedly a bit more work getting arrangements than previous congresses, the location does allow for a number of unique options for potential participants. For instance, you could even get a cheap hotel out in Jersey city (probably ~$100/night for a room) and take the PATH train right in to Penn station each morning.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I'll have a place to stay with family if I go luckily. I'm more concerned with whether the $400 registration makes it worthwhile. Every year it's about that though.

Post #13 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 am 
Oza

Mef wrote:
While it is admittedly a bit more work getting arrangements than previous congresses, the location does allow for a number of unique options for potential participants. For instance, you could even get a cheap hotel out in Jersey city (probably ~$100/night for a room) and take the PATH train right in to Penn station each morning.

We've done this before when we visited New York, at a place on the edge of Hoboken and Jersey city, near the PATH station, and it was incredibly easy to get to midtown, as well as comparatively inexpensive to stay. It looks like the normal train runs from 6am to 11pm and then there is a night train schedule for later.

Post #14 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:56 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
I want this Congress to succeed, but I have very mixed feelings about having a Congress in midtown Manhattan.

Pluses:

- It's midtown Manhattan! You can walk wherever you want to eat whatever you want - eat cheaply from the hot dog vendor on the street, or splurge, or something in the middle.
- Museums, Central Park, Broadway, a short train ride to Flushing and all the great Asian food and Korean Go clubs. Lots to do.
- If you are awake at 3am, there is no better place to be (does not apply to me though).

Minuses:

- I have stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania and it was not nice - at least this was the case 12 years ago.
- Is this really family friendly? If you lose sight of your eight year-old child in Black Mountain, North Carolina, you could rest assured that he/she would pop up again soon. The same cannot be said for midtown Manhattan. This is the thing that scares me the most.

Good luck to the dedicated Go players in NYC for trying what has never thought to have been possible...

Post #15 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:39 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
mhlepore wrote:
... If you lose sight of your eight year-old child in Black Mountain, North Carolina, you could rest assured that he/she would pop up again soon. The same cannot be said for midtown Manhattan...

Manhattan doesn't have grizzly bears or cougars. :)

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: illluck

Post #16 Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:59 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
mhlepore wrote:
I want this Congress to succeed, but I have very mixed feelings about having a Congress in midtown Manhattan.

Pluses:

- It's midtown Manhattan! You can walk wherever you want to eat whatever you want - eat cheaply from the hot dog vendor on the street, or splurge, or something in the middle.
- Museums, Central Park, Broadway, a short train ride to Flushing and all the great Asian food and Korean Go clubs. Lots to do.
- If you are awake at 3am, there is no better place to be (does not apply to me though).

Minuses:

- I have stayed at the Hotel Pennsylvania and it was not nice - at least this was the case 12 years ago.
- Is this really family friendly? If you lose sight of your eight year-old child in Black Mountain, North Carolina, you could rest assured that he/she would pop up again soon. The same cannot be said for midtown Manhattan. This is the thing that scares me the most.

Good luck to the dedicated Go players in NYC for trying what has never thought to have been possible...

I think the family friendly thing could swing both ways -- I would imagine it is much easier for a spouse to find something to do with the kids in Manhattan while you are playing in the US Open. It may be also easier to convince the family in general to spend a week in NYC as opposed to some of the previous locations.

On the whole, I think it's an interesting and ambitious idea...I would imagine those who have quite liked earlier go congresses may find it off-putting. It won't have as much of the "week long immersion in a group of go players where everything is taken care of" feel. On the other hand, those who have had trouble justifying a week long trip "just for go", those who prefer to have other things to do once they have played in the US open, or those who have significant others tired of becoming go widow(er)s may be pleasantly surprised and find it a great time.

This post by Mef was liked by 2 people: amadis, judicata

Post #17 Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:39 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 0
The fears of having to eat at McDonalds are making me laugh. New York City has a greater variety of good food at all price points than anywhere else in the world. I guarantee you will eat better than you do at home. No way you would want to be locked into a cafeteria!

Specifically, the best thing about the Hotel Pennsylvania is that it is a five minute walk from Koreatown, a solid block of Korean restaurants on 32nd St. between Broadway and Fifth Ave. Most of them offer Japanese food as well. I've never had a bad meal in one of those places. It would be fantastic if they could be induced to offer discounts or even meal plans to Congress participants. Maybe I will take it on myself to ask.

Here's a quick/dirty map of them: https://www.google.com/maps?q=korean+re ... 1&t=m&z=17

There is also a Korean supermarket on the block, Han Ah Reum, which in the past has offered decent go equipment for a much lower price than you will find on the internet. I'm talking ~$20 for stones + bowls + board. As long as I am taking things on myself, I should make sure they have them in stock.

New York is famous for being expensive, but, paradoxically, it's also famous for bargains. You just have to know where to look. People come from all over the world to shop there.

Of course, there are tons of things to do in NYC when you and your family are not playing go. Here are a couple of attractions in the neighborhood that are relatively new - http://www.thehighline.org/ and http://www.rubinmuseum.org/

Post #18 Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:45 am 
Beginner

Oh, and I'm sure that this place will appeal to some go players! http://momath.org/

Post #19 Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:05 am 
Beginner

Re kids at the Congress - of course you don't let young kids wander around NYC unsupervised. But Paul Barchilon tells me, "The Youth Room is open from 1 pm to 5:30 pm every afternoon at the go congress. There are different fun activities every day, from 9x9 tourneys, to lightning Go, Pair Go, and various other Go related things." I'm looking forward to attending with my seven-year-old!

Post #20 Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:06 am 
Beginner

Another food idea: Chinatown has some of the best you'll ever eat at criminally low prices. It's 15 minutes from the hotel by subway, less by taxi.