It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: KGS ranking system
Post #21 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
hibbs wrote:
[...]
Assume that someone has played 20 rated games in that period and won 50% (that is 10, so 10 games lost, 10 won). The persons attends a workshop, reads a book, or for whatever else reason suddendly improves considerably. A promotion to the next higher rank now requires 14 straight wins (which would make it 24 won, 10 lost or 70% win rate, required for promotion).
If someone has played 200 rated games and won 50%, then he would require a win streak of 140 straight wins. (Not in reality, because some of the older games would disappear from the calculation. But he still would need considerably more wins than someone who does not play that often).

A possible solution would be to create a weighting function for both player's kyu, which depends not on time but on the number of games played afterwards. If e. g. the "half-value number" of games is defined as 20 let's have following example:

Player A (7k) wins against Player B (8k)

Two weeks later, player A has played 20 games, player B played 40 games.

For player A this game will be weighted by 50% for player B by 25%.

I would take the kyu values fixed at the time of the game for the rank evaluation. Currently it seems, that my KGS rank increases when the ranks of the players, which I played before, increase. Maybe player B promoted from 8k to 6k within two weeks after the game mentioned above, however at the time of the game he was in fact 8k, so his later improvement should not affect the rank of player A (unless they are playing a new game).

That's my 2ct, OTOH the current ranking system on KGS works also fine for me.

Post #22 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:40 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
schawipp wrote:

A possible solution would be to create a weighting function for both player's kyu, which depends not on time but on the number of games played afterwards. If e. g. the "half-value number" of games is defined as 20 let's have following example:

As mentioned earlier, this is an asymmetric rating system, which leads to instability in the system as a whole

Post #23 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 11
OGS: hibbs
mef wrote:
It's worth noting however that many critics don't consider predictive capacity to be a desirable characteristic of a rating system, they would prefer a descriptive system (that reflects what has already happened, and not necessarily what will happen).

I think that predictive capacity should be most desirable characteristic of a rating system. That is why I was surprised that the math of the KGS system seems to be compellingly correct, but on the other hand a lot of people seem to not like it.

mef wrote:
Wms talked a little bit about weighting systems here

Thanks for that.. I must have missed that statement by WMS. If I had seen this before, I would not have started this thread. I do not doubt that WMS'observation is correct, which means if you want to have good predictive system you have to live with the perceived shortcomings...

Post #24 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:02 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 75
Was liked: 58
Mef wrote:
schawipp wrote:

As mentioned earlier, this is an asymmetric rating system, which leads to instability in the system as a whole

Yes, I see the point. A possible workaround would be to use the geometric average of both player's weightings wA, wB:

W = sqrt(wA * wB)

(wA = weighting of player A, wB = weighting of player B, both calculated according to their number of games played)
and to use W as common weighting factor for both players instead of wA, wB. If both players played 20 more games afterwards, W would be 50%. If one player is faster / slower than the other, the decay of W would speed up / slow down accordingly.

Edit: I see that this has been already intensively discussed, so never mind... : ;-)

Post #25 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:47 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
snorri wrote:
What happens is that bunches of games played closely together at higher than your average play rate have a tendency to stabilize the rating if the win/loss rate is near 50%. So later, it takes a lot of games to move that number unless they've mostly aged out. Is this a problem? From one point of view, it isn't. If a player decides to invest a lot of games in a short period and have that anchor the rating for a few months, then so be it. That's when the player played the most games, and that's where most of the data is. Fine. So where's the problem? I think the thing that nags some players is that when they think they have improved, they may resent the idea that they might have to spend months (or months worth of games) to prove it. By playing rated games at a consistent rate, you accept the moving average for what it is. If you think you have improved, you have the option of waiting for adjustment or you can invest more. That is why I suggested 1 rated game a week. Then when you think you've improved, you can ramp it up to, say 1-2 rated games a day and have things move faster if you are right. Now if one is going to suggest it is bad to deny "the system" rated games, that's another discussion.
I agree with one part of this. If you play a ton of games at one point when you have a chance, at a rate that you can't commit to later, you can become temporarily "stuck". So you might not want to do that. It's not that playing fewer games is better (which is how I misread your original post), but that there can be a downside to binging on games.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:50 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
speedchase wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
speedchase wrote:
nonsense, the rating system should increase in accuracy if you add more data to it (obviously). The rating system should fit to my play schedule, I shouldn't have to play in such a way that gives me a good rating.
You're in luck, it does. Snorri's ideas won't help at all (see Mef's point).

hyperpape wrote:

So play 2-7 rated games a week, and you won't feel stuck, your rank will be where it should, and you'll be happy.

These two statements seem strangely at odds.
either way, you seem to be misrepresenting the arguments of the other side. I would be shocked if anyone was complaining about not getting promoted after 4 wins, but I once had an 18 game win streak, and only went up half a stone.
My comment about feeling stuck was not about the ranking system, but about your subjective perceptions. So there is no contradiction.

As for your 18 game streak, it would be interesting to see the records, to see what held you back. An 18 game streak without a rating gain would have to be quite unusual circumstances.

Post #27 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:07 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
I suspect the subjective problem is unfamiliarity with statistics and the "scientific method".

a) Suppose in a prior period you won 50% of N games. You attend a workshop, study a book, etc. and presumably have improved. You now play a sequence of M games winning them all. Should your rank be upped to reflect that? (based upon M)

b) a) Suppose in a prior period you won 50% of N games ............................ .........................................You now play a sequence of M games winning them all. Should your rank be upped to reflect that? (based upon M)

"b" is the so called "null hypothesis" that the outcome was purely by random chance. Notice that if your rank is upped in case "b" that was the wrong thing to do.

The point I am trying to make here is that the lay person tends to grossly underestimate the size of M required to have it be unlikely that the observed outcome was pure chance. For example, suppose this class is attended by 32 people. More likely than not one of them would come home and win their next five games. That class really helped, didn't it. Nah, it was a class on baking.

This post by Mike Novack was liked by 3 people: EdLee, jts, xed_over

Post #28 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
@Mike any length of wins COULD be explained by probability, but that doesn't mean they should. There are much more reasonable explinations.
edit: removed a mistake.

Post #29 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:31 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2342
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
hyperpape wrote:
speedchase wrote:
... I would be shocked if anyone was complaining about not getting promoted after 4 wins, but I once had an 18 game win streak, and only went up half a stone.
My comment about feeling stuck was not about the ranking system, but about your subjective perceptions. So there is no contradiction.

As for your 18 game streak, it would be interesting to see the records, to see what held you back. An 18 game streak without a rating gain would have to be quite unusual circumstances.

Download the CSV file for speedchase from the bottom of the KGS Analytics page and look at August 2011. It would be interesting to have some informed commentary on his promotion record throughout the summer and into the fall.

Post #30 Posted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 123
Universal go server handle: speedchase
ez4u wrote:
Download the CSV file for speedchase from the bottom of the KGS Analytics page and look at August 2011. It would be interesting to have some informed commentary on his promotion record throughout the summer and into the fall.

Thanks, I was having trouble finding it. If I am reading the file correctly, it says I was 11k the entire time.

Post #31 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:59 am 
Lives in sente

ez4u wrote:

Well, this was an interesting one to look at...I think the short version of this story is an exercise in how you frame the circumstances (as is often true in anomalous cases). (=

For instance, you could say:

"There was an 18 game winning streak in August 2011 where speedchase was not promoted." (which is true)

Which seems like a pretty strong case for "stuck ranks" on KGS. Of course you could also say:

"Speedchase started July 2011 rated as 15k. He only won 62% of the 350 games he played over the next 2 months, yet by the third week in August he already had attained a 10k rating. After a handful of more games in September he was 9k." (also true)

Which makes it seem like there's quite a bit of room for mobility on KGS.

Of course the real story is probably somewhere in between.

Some of the explanation can be attributed to just be dumb luck. For instance, it is interesting to note that 5 of the players in speedchase's streak stopped playing in the month of August 2011 (or at least went on a 2 month hiatus of no playing). A couple of those had only just barely solidified their ratings. 3 of the remaining players had been demoted by the end of August (one player having a particularly rough time went from being 8k in July to 14k by September). For the interests of full disclosure, one of the players speedchase beat went on to be promoted prior to the end of August.

In the end it sounds like it was a perfect storm, you had someone who was rapidly increasing their rank (a known weak point for the system KGS employs), who was playing lots of games (thus partly discounting the significance of the streak), who was also playing lots of players (including those who didn't consistently play, or who didn't really have solid ranks). All in all though it settled out pretty quickly (In September/October speedchase had settled into 9k and was winning 55% of his games).

At the end of the day, if you have a sudden 3-6 stone shift, it might be reasonable to start a new account, but if you don't, don't be surprised if it takes 2 months to work it's way through the system*.

*This is assuming you continue playing default handicap games. You can expedite the process by playing games handicapped at a point where it "should" be.

This post by Mef was liked by 3 people: ez4u, snorri, wms

Post subject:
Post #32 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Mike Novack wrote:
That class really helped, didn't it. Nah, it was a class on baking.
Mike, I agree with your post.
Idle thoughts:
Person A, "So-and-so [insert your favorite actor, say Meryl Streep or Dustin Hoffman] went to such-and-such drama school [say Yale, Julliard, etc.]."
Person B, "Oh yea? So did all the other 30 students in the same classroom -- whatever happened to THEM?"

Another idle thought: if someone wins 50 rated games in a row and is annoyed about some aspect of their rank,
maybe find a good pro teacher to review the 50 games.
(The same eternal question on all Go forums since the beginning of time: what's your goal in Go?
To get a higher number or to improve?)

Post #33 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 181
speedchase wrote:
@Mike any length of wins COULD be explained by probability, but that doesn't mean they should. There are much more reasonable explinations.
edit: removed a mistake.

Yes of course. But I was trying to explain the subjective problem of gross underestimation of the probability "just chance" (and so no action justified). We should expect the rank to be adjusted when there is a reasonably low probability of "just chance". Not when the probability is still in the range of "as likely as not".

I was trying to explain why the improvement in results (percentage of wins) before rank adjustment took place was so much greater than what many people felt it should be. I was trying to explain that "feeling".

Post #34 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:10 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
Mef wrote:
Some of the explanation can be attributed to just be dumb luck. For instance, it is interesting to note that 5 of the players in speedchase's streak stopped playing in the month of August 2011 (or at least went on a 2 month hiatus of no playing). A couple of those had only just barely solidified their ratings. 3 of the remaining players had been demoted by the end of August (one player having a particularly rough time went from being 8k in July to 14k by September). For the interests of full disclosure, one of the players speedchase beat went on to be promoted prior to the end of August.

Unfortunately, a true analysis does require looking at the whole system or at least the opponents as you have kindly done. We do this in real-life tournaments, too, at least in the AGA. When I lose a rated tournament game to a player who wins all other games, I don't feel so bad as if I lose against someone who has been losing a lot. In the first case, my rating will barely move.

Still, I wouldn't call it dumb luck. If speedchase was taking all comers, that's not dumb, that's just being a friendly player. If instead, speedchase decided to scruntize the rank graphs, game histories, and stats of all opponents in order to maximize rating movement, then maybe the results would be different. But maybe it would also have been harder to get in those 18 games to begin with. "Challenge? Hold on while I check out your games, search your twitter history, run a credit check, verify your Klout score... Okay, maybe I'll play you pending the results of the drug test...oh, wait, you took another game. Maybe next time!"

Post #35 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:08 pm 
Lives in sente

snorri wrote:
Still, I wouldn't call it dumb luck.

Well, in this case I meant "dumb luck" as in, no one was intentionally causing this, not in that anyone's actions were stupid. I simply was referring to the fact that it's not as if speedchase's opponent's were going out of their way to play him then not play anymore...and speedchase wasn't seeking out people like AzzBzz, who was a 13k for all of August except the brief period when speedchase played him as a 12k. It just so happens speed was playing a lot of different people at a time when he was rapidly improving...and y'know, sometimes things just happen...

Post #36 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:41 pm 
Dies in gote

Mike Novack wrote:
I suspect the subjective problem is unfamiliarity with statistics and the "scientific method".

First, I want to state that I consider this suspicion a bit offending and condescending, and apparently you are interpreting assumptions in my OP that are not written there.
First of all, I have no subjective problem. (Actually I doubt that I ever even had a 5 win streak...). I was merely trying to figure out why people complain about the rating system.

The objective Problem (if you would consider that a problem) is the following:
(a) suppose you are correctly ranked at a 50% win rate
(b) You read a spectacular book, or attend a workshop, or there is any other singular event that leads you to believe that you have suddenly improved
(c) You go on a win streak of M games
(d) You make the null hypothesis "there was no improvement in rank"

Now: Probabilities are what is called "independent" I e. the probability of winning a game is not affected by the outcome of previous games. If it were, this type of calculation would not be applicable anyways. Because the probabilities are independent, whenever you start a series of games, the probability of winning M games in a row is 0.5^M
You might now define a threshold for that probability, say if it is less than 0.1%, I will reject the null hypothesis in favor of the alternative hypothesis ("There was a real improvement in rank").

Now to what I consider an objective problem: It will always take the same number of games to come to that conclusion, independent of whether you have played 1000 games in the last month or 10 (because the probabilities are independent).

However: In the KGS ranking system, it does take a different number of games to get a promotion in dependence of how often you have played. (As was stated earlier: If you play at a constant rate, it will always take the same time to get the promotion). So to rephrase a statement from my OP: If you play at a higher frequency, you need longer streaks to get promoted than if you play a lower frequency. That the frequency of the games affects how much each game “weighs” can be considered a flaw in the ranking system. (As I have learned in this thread is probably one that we have to live with because of the mentioned problem with asymmetric weights).

I would not go as far as to consider this “science”, but I do not see where this reasoning conflicts with or points to an unfamiliarity with either statistics or the scientific method.

Mike Novack wrote:
a) Suppose in a prior period you won 50% of N games. You attend a workshop, study a book, etc. and presumably have improved. You now play a sequence of M games winning them all. Should your rank be upped to reflect that? (based upon M)

b) a) Suppose in a prior period you won 50% of N games ............................ .........................................You now play a sequence of M games winning them all. Should your rank be upped to reflect that? (based upon M)
"b" is the so called "null hypothesis" that the outcome was purely by random chance. Notice that if your rank is upped in case "b" that was the wrong thing to do.
The point I am trying to make here is that the lay person tends to grossly underestimate the size of M required to have it be unlikely that the observed outcome was pure chance. For example, suppose this class is attended by 32 people. More likely than not one of them would come home and win their next five games. That class really helped, didn't it. Nah, it was a class on baking.

DISCLAIMER: The following discussion has nothing to do with ranking systems, specifically because a ranking system would not be able to consider if someone has attended a class or read a book or had a sudden improvement for some other reason. Probably the only reason I make this discussion is because I feel accused of not understanding statistics…

The flaw with the previous reasoning in the calculation with the null hypothesis is to some extent that it doesn’t account for the fact that there was a class or a book into account. In fact any streak of M won games in a row is treated exactly the same. I assume that is what Mike wants to say with (a) and (b).

If we want to account for the fact that there was a singular event that may have led to someone becoming stronger, we have to introduce an additional assumption. For the sake of this discussion let’s assume:
(a) Previous to the workshop, a person A is correctly rated and plays at an average win rate of 50%
(b) Attending the workshop means a 15% chance to improve to an average win rate of 75% (I guess this is one rank). In other words: Out of 100 attendees 15 will improve to a 75% win rate and 85 attendees will stay at the 50% win rate.
(c) after that workshop, person A plays a consecutive streak of 5 wins in a row.

The interesting question is now: Based on the observation of 5 won games in a row, did person A actually improve one rank or not? The null hypothesis approach does not help here, but using Bayesian statistics, we can still come to a conclusion. There are 4 possible outcomes after (a) and (b).
1:Person A has improved and goes on a 5 game win streak, 2: Person A has improved and does not win 5 games in a row, 3: Person A has not improved and goes on a 5 game win streak, 4: Person A has not improved and does not win 5 games in a row.

Since all the probabilities are known, the probability for each outcome can be calculated, e.g. the probability for outcome 1 is 0.15 (chance to improve in the workshop) * 0.75^5 (probability to win five games in a row at a 75% average win rate) = 3.5%. Other probabilities can be calculated in a similar way, the probability that the person did not improve in the workshop and got a 5 game win streak is 2.7 % (of course there is a 82% probability for not improving and not getting a 5 game win streak).

What is important now: We have observed the outcome “five wins in a row”, which means under the given assumptions it is actually more likely that the person has really improved than not. And even though winning 5 games in a row is a rather common event that happens by chance in 3% of all cases, and even though it is unlikely to improve by attending the workshop, the person may still correctly feel that he should get a promotion. (Everyone: Please do not start a discussion if this should be reflected in a ranking system… Read above disclaimer first)

Post #37 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:49 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
hibbs: Probabilities most likely aren't independent when it comes to a series of go game results for most people given how human psychology makes a difference on the board. If it were bots playing each other you'd be correct and the probabilities would be independent. I'd be very surprised if someone on a winning streak was not more likely to win their next game than someone on a losing streak.

This post by Boidhre was liked by: daal

Post #38 Posted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Boidhre wrote:
hibbs: Probabilities most likely aren't independent when it comes to a series of go game results for most people given how human psychology makes a difference on the board. If it were bots playing each other you'd be correct and the probabilities would be independent. I'd be very surprised if someone on a winning streak was not more likely to win their next game than someone on a losing streak.

I would take this one step further (especially for games played on the same day). A person on a winning streak is likely well-rested, not distracted, not hungry, etc (i.e. closer to their peak playing condition, playing at a stronger level even outside of psychology). The same person on a losing streak is more likely tired, nervous, angry/frustrated, thinking more about the problems they had at work that day, and so on (i.e. playing below at a average strength). Of course once the streak starts, the psychological feedback loop you mention is probably only going to amplify whatever effect is already being observed.

Post #39 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:31 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
hibbs wrote:
Mike Novack wrote:

First, I want to state that I consider this suspicion a bit offending and condescending, and apparently you are interpreting assumptions in my OP that are not written there.
First of all, I have no subjective problem. (Actually I doubt that I ever even had a 5 win streak...). I was merely trying to figure out why people complain about the rating system.

I know practically nothing about statistics, but I do know something about being offended, and I think you have little reason to be. You write that you are trying to figure out why people complain about the rating system, and Mike offered an explanation. A reasonable one at that. It doesn't imply that you don't understand statistics, but rather that of the people who have issues with the kgs rating system, some of them (statistically: not all of them you) don't understand statistics or scientific method and are therefore basing their criticisms on subjective impressions that are not supported by a more rigorous analysis.

Post #40 Posted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:04 am 
Dies in gote

daal wrote:
I know practically nothing about statistics, but I do know something about being offended, and I think you have little reason to be. You write that you are trying to figure out why people complain about the rating system, and Mike offered an explanation. A reasonable one at that. It doesn't imply that you don't understand statistics, but rather that of the people who have issues with the kgs rating system, some of them (statistically: not all of them you) don't understand statistics or scientific method and are therefore basing their criticisms on subjective impressions that are not supported by a more rigorous analysis.

Actually, seen from this point of view you might be right, and I should not feel offended. What actually happened is: I am scientist and although I am not a trained statistician, statistics is a major part of my daily work. On occasion I teach statistics and I have a few publications on the application of certain statistical methods in my particular field. As a little side note, more as a hobby, I am in an organization that specifically deals with the demarcation of science vs. pseudoscience. Therefore, I believe I dealt more with the concept of scientific methodology than an average scientist.
I actually interpreted that mentioned post as a direct reply to my OP, with the implication that I have a subjective problem and did not understand statistics ar scientific methodology, so that one sentence would actually challenge almost every bit of my professional self-image. If that interpretation was actually incorrect, I dutifully apologize for my statement about the menstioned post being offensive and condescending.

This post by hibbs was liked by: ez4u

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next