Post #21 Posted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:21 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
DrStraw wrote:
Bantari wrote:
DrStraw wrote:
One think that would be nice is to archive the deleted information so that if a user registers it with the same e-mail within 6 months then nothing would be lost, but if it is registered with a new e-mail then it would start anew. I say this because I used to have an account which had a lot of information in the user info about the 50 oldest accounts on KGS. I gleened this when I was an admin and had access to the KGS database. Once I resigned as an admin I lost access and so could not recreate the info when the account expired.

Cool idea.
But can't that be solved by simply saving the info locally? Its just text, no?

Sure. But accidents happen. The account I was referring to I logged into every 3 months to make sure it didn't die. It still did, and I am convinced it was not 6 months. But I guess it must have been because no one else every complained about early deletion.

Yeah, I feel your pain. Happened to me a few times as well. Especially on the Bantari account which I don't really use much.
At some point I learned to have any info I wanted saved locally, and usually didn't even bother to put it into the KGS account text area.

But yes, the option you mention would be nice. Unless anybody can think of reasons not to have it? Multiple people having access to the same email and making accounts? I dunno... how likely is that?

Although this assumes that all these accounts data and info fields and whatnot is sitting there in the database and bloating the system instead of being deleted for good. Not sure exactly what the system repercussions would be, but depending on the turnaround, it can be potentially serious.

If we go this path, maybe the best idea would be to just stop deleting old accounts altogether? Just give the user the option to delete any account for his email, sort-of like a master-email-control-panel. But as said before, not sure how much stress would that put on the system.

Post subject: Re: KGS Account Deactivated due to inactivity
Post #22 Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:02 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 52
Was liked: 39
Bantari wrote:
If we go this path, maybe the best idea would be to just stop deleting old accounts altogether?

Yeah, KGS is a great place, but development is way too slow.

Post #23 Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:06 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 800
I think maybe we all need to remember that KGS is basically a one-man effort (coding-wise) and is not a money-making venture AFAIK. Basically, WMS has to go earn a living, so he can keep KGS running, rather than the other way around. So, appreciate it for what it is, not for what it is not.

Could it be improved? Sure, but I just don't see account deactivations for non-use as a critical problem. If you can't get back there once every 6 months, it probably isn't that important to you.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:29 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 10
Was liked: 128
Gohst wrote:
WMS has to go earn a living, so he can keep KGS running, rather than the other way around. So, appreciate it for what it is, not for what it is not.

I couldn't agree more, and how dare anyone out there make fun of wms after all he's been through?
He lost most of his userbase due to the java-update, he went through moving his entire family recently. He has two freakin kids!
His admins turned out to be obnoxious, bullies, and now he's going through lengthy flamewars on rec.games.go
All you people care about is.. escapers and stone-placement sound..
He's a HUMAN!

What you don't realize is that wms has single-handedly created the Western go community and all you do is write a bunch of crap about him.
He hasn't updated the client in years. His blog is on google PLUS for a reason because all you people want is more, more, more, MORE!
Leave him alone! You're lucky he even created CGoban for you bastards!
Leave Bill alone ... please..

Coders in the go community like to talk about professionalism and say if William was a professional he would've fixed all the petty bugs by now, no matter what.
Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who is going through a hard time?

Leave William alone, please..
Leave William Shubert alone .. right now ... I mean it!
Anyone that has a problem with him you deal with me, because he is not well right now.
Leave him alone!

Post #25 Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:38 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Gohst wrote:
I think maybe we all need to remember that KGS is basically a one-man effort (coding-wise) and is not a money-making venture AFAIK. Basically, WMS has to go earn a living, so he can keep KGS running, rather than the other way around.

My understanding is that KGS now makes a small profit for WMS. Not enough to give up his day job, but he's not subsidising it with his money. Of course in the past (still now?) he subsidised it with his time spent developing it for free.

Post #26 Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:46 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 318
Was liked: 345
leichtloeslich wrote:
Gohst wrote:
WMS has to go earn a living, so he can keep KGS running, rather than the other way around. So, appreciate it for what it is, not for what it is not.

I couldn't agree more, and how dare anyone out there make fun of wms after all he's been through?
He lost most of his userbase due to the java-update, he went through moving his entire family recently. He has two freakin kids!
His admins turned out to be obnoxious, bullies, and now he's going through lengthy flamewars on rec.games.go
He's a HUMAN!

What you don't realize is that wms has single-handedly created the Western go community and all you do is write a bunch of crap about him.
He hasn't updated the client in years. His blog is on google PLUS for a reason because all you people want is more, more, more, MORE!

Coders in the go community like to talk about professionalism and say if William was a professional he would've fixed all the petty bugs by now, no matter what.
Speaking of professionalism, when is it professional to publicly bash someone who is going through a hard time?

Anyone that has a problem with him you deal with me, because he is not well right now.
Leave him alone!

My sarcasm detector isn't working today. Is this post tongue-in-cheek?

Post #27 Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:49 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
wineandgolover wrote:
leichtloeslich wrote:
Blah blah....

Based on leichtloeslich's previous posts about KGS, yes.

Post #28 Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:36 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
wineandgolover wrote:
leichtloeslich wrote:
Gohst wrote:

He's a HUMAN!

Leave him alone!

It reminds me of that "Leave Britney alone" thing from a few years ago. I'm guessing that is no coincidence.

Post #29 Posted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:26 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
LocoRon wrote:
It reminds me of that "Leave Britney alone" thing from a few years ago. I'm guessing that is no coincidence.

This.