It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to run KGS?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:14 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
When I go to the website now I get an Error. Please click here for details in red text.

Then it says Java has blocked this application. How to use KGS?

Post subject: Re: How to run KGS?
Post #2 Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
Have you tried this: viewtopic.php?p=157296#p157296

Post #3 Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:56 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
When I saw the subject line my first thought was "with an iron fist" and a mental image of BigDoug came to mind. :lol:

I should add, that the reaction was based on his reputation. I actually like the guy.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: judicata

Post #4 Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:18 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
DrStraw wrote:
When I saw the subject line my first thought was "with an iron fist" and a mental image of BigDoug came to mind. :lol:

I should add, that the reaction was based on his reputation. I actually like the guy.

I liked your post, but felt I should add (similar to your addendum) that I haven't had any negative experiences with KGS admins.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:21 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
And in the interest of balance I have :) .

Post #6 Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 42
GD Posts: 100
That fix does not work for me, there is no where to add site exceptions in my java control panel. The window looks the same, without that option though.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:27 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
These Java problems are driving away users: when I wanted to play Go with someone recently we gave up on KGS as it was such a pain to install and just used online-go.com instead.

What exactly is the problem? wms hasn't got a certificate signed by a trusted authority and the new Java security rules mean self-signed require an entry in the exception list?

Post #8 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:21 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 37
Universal go server handle: MagicMagor
Quote:
What exactly is the problem? wms hasn't got a certificate signed by a trusted authority and the new Java security rules mean self-signed require an entry in the exception list?

As far as i understand it (someone might correct me if i'm wrong) getting a signed certificate from a trusted authority (one where their root certificate is pre-installed in all major browser) costs money. Probably a lot more than wms is willing to pay for this.

And yes, self-signed certificate should always require an exception. Because it basicly translates to "Person A guarentees you that Person A is trustworthy" which has absolutly zero security benefit.
The major change may be, that with previous java versions, java would ask you "Do you trust this source?" when trying to run KGS, so you just click "Yes i do and please remember that decision.".
Now you have to manually go to the settings and enter an exception there.

However this is all only temporary. For one, wms said is now working on making the java-client run with Java 8 and is obviously still working on the new HTML5-client.

Post #9 Posted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Uberdude wrote:
These Java problems are driving away users: when I wanted to play Go with someone recently we gave up on KGS as it was such a pain to install and just used online-go.com instead. [..]
And as a happy (and therefore supporting) user of OGS I welcome that.

Consequently, my answer to “How to run KGS?” could be … “away from” :lol:

<edit>
This was just a knee-jerk post when it came to my mind that I could twist the question around this way (thx, DrStraw :cool: ) … see critique and response below. I’m leaving it all so as not to censor history (even though first I thought I better take out the laughing emoticon). I didn’t realize that this could and would be perceived as — and probably is — a snide remark, it was not my intention to “dis” KGS or wms, I just found it funny to use turn around the question to express something totally different. Naïve, perhaps.
</edit>

Greetings, Tom

Last edited by Bonobo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #10 Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:20 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 642
Was liked: 490
Universal go server handle: Bantari
Bonobo wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
These Java problems are driving away users: when I wanted to play Go with someone recently we gave up on KGS as it was such a pain to install and just used online-go.com instead. [..]
And as a happy (and therefore supporting) user of OGS I welcome that.

Consequently, my answer to “How to run KGS?” could be … “away from” :lol:

Greetings, Tom

I understand your like for OGS (personally I don't share it, but everybody is entitled to an opinion.)

But I find it really mean to act happy and smug about the fact that a service which was, without exaggeration, a major cornerstone of western on-line Go, providing excellent support to a huge community for many years at no cost - and still does, really. Yes, it is doing somewhat badly now (or so I hear the constant few repeating over and over, while thousands use it happily every day) - but this might still turn. And even if KGS dies, let it die in with dignity, I think it deserves it. Its not like it is Kaya or something.

So why not wish it well rather than gloat?
I don't like OGS very much (not at all, to be honest, for many reasons) - but you don't see me gloating that it has so few games and users (in terms of live games) or pointing out its shortcomings at each opportunity. I wish it all the best instead. Let it live and prosper, there is certainly a place for it on the web. ;)

Post #11 Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:30 pm 
Oza

Ah well, once in a while I make a Really Bad And Tasteless Joke™.

And then you come and chastise me for that :-D

But OK, thank you, I guess I’ll have to take that.

I am actually thankful to KGS because it was there where I began playing on the net, yet I think back not only with fond feelings. But I am thankful, like I’m thankful towards my parents. I just wish they’d taken up therapy earlier. It’s been, wait, over 36 years since I moved out. My father left 28 yrs ago, and I visit my mother about twice a year since she lives far away. It’s nice while I’m there, although sometimes a bit awkward, and I’m happy when I get back home.

I don’t wish KGS any bad, why should I? It was just a bad joke with the words, twisting around the question. And I had to laugh. Next time you involuntarily laugh about a bad joke you’ll be reminded of this.

I apologize.

Tom

Post #12 Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:00 pm 
Lives in sente

Bonobo wrote:

I apologize.

Tom

Apologize after someone on the internet suggests you said something a little harsh or tasteless?!?!?! What is this world coming to??

This post by judicata was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, daal

Post #13 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:22 am 
Gosei

Bonobo wrote:
Ah well, once in a while I make a Really Bad And Tasteless Joke™.

And then you come and chastise me for that :-D

Yeah, you're right, I should not have done it. Just woke up grumpy today, so my apologies.

Its just that for a while already, this KGS bashing, even in jest, grinds on me. Its a service which was provided to us for free for many years, and served us all rather well. And even though it is now old, outdated, and seems unmaintained, it still offers a better functionality than most, if not all competitors. But now that the giving got less or not quite as good as it used to, suddenly its the "evil empire" or something, and everybody turns away, or feels free to crack jokes and put it down.

Made me rethink and reject quite a few ideas I have had for this community, even my own website. But who cares...

My bitterness and irritation is silly for another reason as well - I hardly ever play on KGS, and have not for quite a few years now, so what's it to me? I have no pony in this race, really.

I will try to keep my temper better in check in future. Thanks. ;)

This post by Bantari was liked by: Bonobo

Post #14 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:01 am 
Oza

judicata wrote:
Bonobo wrote:

I apologize.

Apologize after someone on the internet suggests you said something a little harsh or tasteless?!?!?! What is this world coming to??
Not sure whether resp. where there are some hidden irony tags here … I guess I’ll just take it as a compliment :-)

See, while I found it ironic that it was Bantari who criticized my post, it made me realize that it could be taken much more seriously than I had intended … that’s why I brought in the analogy with my parents.

And the apology was mostly meant for William Shubert aka wms, the creator of KGS, in case he should read this because I feel thankful and because I do NOT wish him or KGS any bad; it was not my intention to “dis” wms or KGS. (Accordingly, whenever this topic comes up elsewhere, I never tell people to leave KGS, but rather to try OGS.)

In my world it is OK to apologize for something (even though sometimes it hurts my ego at first). I admit that it wasn’t easy for me in this case, much the more since it came from Bantari with whom I’ve had a few squabbles already :-D but if I realize that somebody’s critical feedback contains some truth, I must accept it, regardless of the form of the feedback or of my past history with the giver of the feedback.

Things like these happen to me sometimes: that I write something impulsively, either in the heat of passion or just childishly laughing about my own jokes, and then … verbal incontinence, and later it can happen that I think I should better have resisted and moved on instead of adding what I thought, at the time, to be overly clever or funny.

Worst thing is, I have nobody and nothing to blame for all this except for the evil, ever-tempting internet my ego :roll:

Peace, Tom

Post #15 Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:37 am 
Lives in sente

Bonobo wrote:
Not sure whether resp. where there are some hidden irony tags here … I guess I’ll just take it as a compliment :-)

No, I'm really concerned. If everyone behaved this way, the world would be deprived of massive amounts of hyperbolic exchanges, attacks on other posters' intelligence, the application of Godwin's Law, and countless other significant contributions that enrich our lives.

... Yes, it was a compliment. ;-)

This post by judicata was liked by: Bonobo

Post #16 Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:47 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 201
Was liked: 333
GD Posts: 428
Bonobo wrote:

Worst thing is, I have nobody and nothing to blame for all this except for the evil, ever-tempting internet my ego :roll:

I believe you could put some of the blame on your Igo as well (=

This post by Mef was liked by: Bonobo

Post #17 Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:46 pm 
Gosei

judicata wrote:
Bonobo wrote:

No, I'm really concerned. If everyone behaved this way, the world would be deprived of massive amounts of hyperbolic exchanges, attacks on other posters' intelligence, the application of Godwin's Law, and countless other significant contributions that enrich our lives.

Somehow, I don't think you really need to worry about that. ;)

Post #18 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:10 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 5
KGS: Hurakami
IGS: Hurakami
DGS: Hurakami
Just posted my response to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9870

I'm pretty sure it should work like that (just fixed this problem myself).

Post #19 Posted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:25 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 5
GD Posts: 800
I strongly recommend Ernestas' solution... fixed me right up. If anyone is still having troubles getting into KGS because of Java security, go have a look at his post.