It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: is kgs down?
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:37 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Several hours ago I was kicked off - in the middle of my game - and when I tried to get back on it refused my connection, and says I am temporarily blocked for "refusing to end game properly."

I have never seen this before, and thought it must be a glitch or that the system is down. But several hours later none of the forums are talking about it, so I'm starting to think KGS has really flagged me for something.

Anyone else experiencing something strange like this?

Post subject: Re: is kgs down?
Post #2 Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:41 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
kgs is working for me. maybe an admin banned you?

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:43 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 527
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
I can access KGS fine. If you are around right now feel free to send me a private message and I can try to act as a go-between if there's an admin around.

Edit: If I understand the icons right, there is no admin around right now, so you might just have to wait it out, assuming it's temporary. (I totally believe you when you say you didn't do anything out of the ordinary.)

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:51 pm 
Lives in gote

sigh... both me and my wife can't get in. KGS seems to think one of us did something wrong and is banning both of our machines (I guess because we are going through same wireless router?).

I already emailed the admin but have yet to hear back.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:06 pm 
Honinbo

when you get banned, it has a viral effect. if you login as a different user with the same ip address, then that other user is also banned.

so if you got banned, anyone using the same ip address would also be banned if they login during the ban period.

Post #6 Posted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:36 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 2
You made the bad yose. You suffer!

Post #7 Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:53 am 
Lives in gote

Kirby wrote:
when you get banned, it has a viral effect. if you login as a different user with the same ip address, then that other user is also banned.

so if you got banned, anyone using the same ip address would also be banned if they login during the ban period.

This is all super weird and I have not heard back from KGS, so I just emailed them again. If they are trying to drive out what remains of their user base, I suppose this is one way to do it.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:38 am 
Lives in gote

So I found out what happened...

My wife got to the end of her game, thought she hit "done", then put her laptop down and walked away. My wife loses lots of games by large margins and always scores them, so anyone can look at her history and see that escaping is not her thing.

The opponent then went and got an admin (Herod), who said he couldn't award the win, but he could "kick her off for a while." He did, and that ended up banning me too.

The humorous part is that in Herod's info, he has a link to the KGS escaper FAQ, where it specifically says "the goal of the server is not to punish anybody" but that is exactly what was done.

Anyway, mystery solved.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:57 am 
Honinbo

glad you figured it out. i'm surprised by the ban decision, as kgs already has the forfeit situation for repeat escapers. that system's not perfect, but mitigating escaping was why it was put in place, afaik.

Post #10 Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:52 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 17
KGS server seems to be unstable after they shifted to the new server. I got disconnected in the middle of the game, and after I was able to get back on, the chat was all about the disconnection (meaning it was server-wide).
Also, I cannot access my games on the archives, meaning I have to download the sgf file everytime I finish a game. (which I have not done yet, so not sure whether this works)
Hope they fix it up sooner than later.

Post #11 Posted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:41 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 14
KGS: Shimari
Quote:
KGS server seems to be unstable after they shifted to the new server. I got disconnected in the middle of the game, and after I was able to get back on, the chat was all about the disconnection (meaning it was server-wide).
Also, I cannot access my games on the archives, meaning I have to download the sgf file everytime I finish a game. (which I have not done yet, so not sure whether this works)
Hope they fix it up sooner than later.

We have had some instability after moving to our new server, Lee and Oren reboot as soon as there is an issue though, so things get fixed fairly quickly. We are also trying to keep people updated on server issues with our twitter account @gokgs