It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unfinished game after disconnection, how to arrange it
Post #1 Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
Hi,
I had this bad experience and I would like to ask if there is any function, or way to solve the problem.

I was playing a Ranked game (btw winning, but we were in the middle game) with this guy/girl and I got a disconnection from my home wi-fi, so I tried to reconnect fast but only managed with my phone after near 5 minutes and he/she had left the game too.

I tried to contact him/her, left some message every day.
I noticed that he/she have the Japanese version of cgoban, so I also used Google Translate to send bi-lingual messages to apologize and ask him/her a date to resume and finish the game.

I really hate to have unfinished games in my list, so I started connecting every time I can and finally I spotted him/her playing.

I tried both with the one to one chat and with his/her in-game-chat but he/she didn't answered my messages.
I uploaded the game in the original room and waited but he/she continued to play other games.

I think that there was a linguistic problem, I also noticed that he/she near never speak at the beginning of the games.
In the end I sadly resigned to end the game.

My question is: is there a way to solve this kind of setback? A way to call another player inside a game?

I decided that it is possibly a good idea to add a note in my personal information about disconnections, stating that I am not an escaper and I will reconnect asap when I have problems.

Thank you in advance for any suggestion/experience shared!
Galation

Post subject: Re: unfinished game after disconnection, how to arrange it
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:53 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 17
When you load up on your unfinished game, a notification pops up on your opponent. Therefore, if he/she is not in the middle of a game and is willing to play your game on , he/she should respond, if not, he/she probably does not intend to play your game, and, from what I get from your post, the reason is probably concern over the need to chat in English.
What I usually do is resign the game after several attempts to resume. By doing so, I could put such game behind and free myself from any psychological burden.

This post by kyulearner was liked by 2 people: gaius, Galation

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:51 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 213
Was liked: 96
GD Posts: 325
I can recommend playing on Tygem: you have a certain amount of time to reconnect, enough to restart you computer if neccessary (just had to do that an hour ago). If your opponent leaves the game, then he will lose.
Much simpler and cleaner, avoiding the KGS problem altogether.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:45 am 
Lives with ko

Thank you both for your suggestions.
I didn't know of the message when unfinished games are loaded
kyulearner wrote:
When you load up on your unfinished game, a notification pops up on your opponent.
I also would like a disconnection policy: my experience is with GoQuest. Seems easier and cleaner, still the suspension of the game could be used for a sort of correspondence games on KGS too.
Galation

Post #5 Posted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
A real disconnection policy has been on the wishlist of many people probably since the beginning of KGS. It's exceedingly unlikely to happen (although, KGS is now operated by the AGA, so who knows?). The KGS philosophy seems to be that giving users the opportunity to finish their interrupted games is more important than ensuring that people don't escape losing games. So unless you are escaping a rather large number of ranked games in a certain time period, no action is taken against you.

I personally don't care for finishing an interrupted online game, I would much rather just start a new game with the same opponent. It could be that your opponent felt the same. But this is personal, of course. In my opinion KGS remains a wonderful go server despite the somewhat odd policy on escaping unfinished games.

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:25 am 
Lives with ko

gaius wrote:
I personally don't care for finishing an interrupted online game, I would much rather just start a new game with the same opponent. It could be that your opponent felt the same.
My personal feeling is that unfinished games are kind of a lack of respect for the game and the other player: it's really personal, so I also understand that it's me ;-)
gaius wrote:
In my opinion KGS remains a wonderful go server despite the somewhat odd policy on escaping unfinished games.
I absolutely agree! I also play on GoQuest and OGS, also more often than on KGS, due to fast and correspondence games, but KGS stays my ideal and my point of reference (e.g. for ranking and game style).
Sooner or later I will try one of the oriental server like Tygem.
Thank you for sharing your point of view. Galation